First I want to thank everyone who has contributed to helping fix all the bad habits I used to use while playing guitar. (especially Freepower). My playing has gone to levels I would have never thought possible thanks too better technique.

With that said, I have been noticing a possible technique problem with my fretting hand. My wrist is bending forward on some long stretches, and while using my pinky on either of the 2 thickest strings. It hasn't caused any discomfort yet, but once I notice it, I tend to work on another exercize. I'm sure this angle can't be good. It can extend further than a 45 degree angle, almost a 90 infact.

Now I do have wrather small hands, I am starting to wonder if I don't have the best neck shape, and profile to suite my smaller hands. Perhaps neck width would be a larger factor in reaching the top strings with my pinky? My 1st finger is 2 3/4", second finger is 3", third 2 3/4", and forth 2 1/4". Base of wrist to longest tip is 7", and my palm is 3" wide.

Or more likely, wrather than faulting the guitar ect.. perhaps I am missing some key technique that is preventing me from keeping my wrist straight? Thanks for the time, and any help you can give me on this guys.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.
Keep your elbow away from your side, angle your guitar neck up, keep your thumb at the back of the neck (except for bends, vibrato), and keep the guitar neck close to your body. Other than that, there's not really much else you can do.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I play in the classical position so the neck is definately up. I do tend to keep my elbow at my side though when im playing chords or frets 1-5 in this position. Maybe the neck angle is too high? Also my thumb tends to stay in the middle of the area im playing in. So if I was playing strings 4 and 3 , then it would be in the middle of the back of the neck, but if I was playing strings 1 and 2, it would be at the edge of the back of the neck. Directly across from the fingers playing position. Is that bad technique also ?
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.
Last edited by cooper1965 at Oct 22, 2011,
I have small hands too, and I change the angle of my fretting hand pretty often.
While playing the lower strings, I have to keep my fingers parallel to the frets, and from each strings until the high e I angle the hand more and more.
Still, I do keep my fingers parallel to the frets also at the higher strings to do stretchy stuff, because it gives me greater range.
Just do what makes you comfortable.
and btw, fyi, it's "rather" not "wrather".
Thanks for the tip JB95, its been a while since I had an english class lol.
So you are parallel to the strings on the low e , and then angle as you move to the thinner strings? How about your thumb position on the thicker strings?
Quote by AeolianSeventh