Hello!

It's been a while but now I'm in need of some new gear again.
This time I'm looking for a mic that will give me decent vocal recordings.
Right now I use a Shure 58 A but it's a dynamic mic and it's awesome for live performances and all but it sounds kind of muffled on the recordings.
I'm looking for something in-between 200-300 euros price range that would suit to record country and/or punk rock music. I have a pretty deep voice...for being 18 years old that is.

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: Hope it's the right forum.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
That's a pretty hefty budget. You could look at the AT4040, which gets great reviews and is actually under your budget. There are tons others in that price range, but the AT4040 is the only one I've used.

Some people also rave over the Bluebird, so you might want to take a look at that as well. Someone else will come in here and throw a bunch more at you, I'm sure.
Quote by CrossBack7
That's a pretty hefty budget. You could look at the AT4040, which gets great reviews and is actually under your budget. There are tons others in that price range, but the AT4040 is the only one I've used.

Some people also rave over the Bluebird, so you might want to take a look at that as well. Someone else will come in here and throw a bunch more at you, I'm sure.

If you get this you'll have to buy stuff like a shock mount, cables, pop shield, etc.

I recommend the Rode NT1-A, you get every in 1 package to get started (assuming you have a DAW and an interface?).
A really good cheap mic that is definitely worth the money is the se electronics SE2200A. It comes with the shockmount. It's pretty good for recording acoustic guitar and really good for vocals if you have a pop shield, which you can get for less than 20. It''s won a couple of awards for the quality of it. I've recorded violin, acoustic guitar, the high end of a piano and vocals with it and it sounds pretty pristine with good high end. The only downside of it is the fact that it is solely a cardioid mic. It's only 168 euros on thomann.de
Gear:

Epi Les Paul
Epi Tony Iommi SG
Boss Super Chorus
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Dunlop Cry Baby
Boss Noise suppressor
Boss tuner
Marshall 1993 Jcm900 Stack
Quote by CrossBack7

I rave about the Bluebird

Comparing the 4040 to the Bluebird, the Bluebird wins hands down. The 4040 is a quality mic though, and it will probably sound better on some voices.

I've never actually heard the NT-1A, but I'd put a lot of money on the Bluebird beating it out. Rhode does make some decent mics, so I'm sure you'd be happy with the NT-1A if you got it.
Thanks guys! I will look into it and try to work out the best deal
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst
Quote by Afroboy267
If you get this you'll have to buy stuff like a shock mount, cables, pop shield, etc.

The AT4040 actually comes with it's own shock mount included. So really the only other accessory would be the pop shield which you may already have...even at that they aren't too dear.

I own an AT4040 myself and would recommend it. Has a great frequency response and i've heard plenty people refer to it's "dark" characteristic which might be suited to your deep voice. I use it myself for everything from vocals, guitar amps to harmonica and it does the job well. Have also seen it being used before on a slide guitar player which is a country thing. What can I say i'm just a +1 for the AT4040 idea.
Quote by Axe Samurai
The AT4040 actually comes with it's own shock mount included. So really the only other accessory would be the pop shield which you may already have...even at that they aren't too dear.

Exactly. Once you get above bottom level mics they'll all come with a shock mount. Pop filters are all of what, $15? Cheaper if you make your own. Personally getting a box set of everything is a turn off to me. Even if the mic is amazing it just seems very unprofessional and like I'm getting a starter pack which I stay away from. Again, I've never heard the NT-1A, but I have heard it's a good mic for the money. I still recommend the Bluebird or one of the AT 40 series though.
Quote by dankillmall
A really good cheap mic that is definitely worth the money is the se electronics SE2200A. It comes with the shockmount. It's pretty good for recording acoustic guitar and really good for vocals if you have a pop shield, which you can get for less than 20. It''s won a couple of awards for the quality of it. I've recorded violin, acoustic guitar, the high end of a piano and vocals with it and it sounds pretty pristine with good high end. The only downside of it is the fact that it is solely a cardioid mic. It's only 168 euros on thomann.de

I absolutely agree. The SE2200a is probably the best bang for your buck out there! While you're on Thomann, have a look at their T.Bone valve mics too....quite nice for the price.
Guys, I was wondering...is a pre-amp a necessity when it comes to condenser mics? What are the benefits of having one. (I'm using Logic Pro 9 as my recording software)
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst
Quote by Kozlic
Guys, I was wondering...is a pre-amp a necessity when it comes to condenser mics? What are the benefits of having one. (I'm using Logic Pro 9 as my recording software)

Er....can you describe exactly what hardware you're using at the moment? (to get the SM58 into Logic)
I's the 58 Beta A not SM58. Just a simple USA audio interface. But I wanna upgrade and if that means getting a pre-amp I'll consider getting one
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst
Quote by Kozlic
I's the 58 Beta A not SM58. Just a simple USA audio interface. But I wanna upgrade and if that means getting a pre-amp I'll consider getting one

If the '58 is working, you have a preamp. Any mic interface will have a basic preamp built in. Does your interface have phantom power?
Yep it does have phantom power.
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst