Well the story here is

I am planning on getting a bass next week
(Squire Jazz Affinity)
DON'T tell me to save and get something different, as my mind is made up

The asking price is £207.00
My question is how much do you think I could ask down form this price?
I was thinking of asking for £165-175....is that unreasonable?
This is the first time I will be purchasing from this music store, as I have just recently moved into the area...if that bares any impact on the situation

What else could I ask for?....strap?set of strings?case?
So to some up UG
How much can I barter down this bass, and what could I ask for free?
I could imagine you could get a case for it if you word it right. "Hey, this bass's case is looking pretty lonely over there. It doesn't have his buddy with him anymore! It'd be a shame for them to be seperated. ?"
Dunno about UK pricing but 207 seems a bit steep for an Affinity. Tell them to throw in a set up, and if they say the bass has already had one tell them to do it again.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
It only depends on how long you are prepared to talk. I once went with my Dad to buy a new car. He spend 15minutes argueing over the last £5 on a £5000 car. Offer them £125, pointing out that £125 is £10 more that you would pay for it in the states - but don't confuse the issue with freebies. Just deal with the price of the guitar.
Make sure you know the on-line price of this guitar (I found it for £190) and absolutley don't go above that.
Last edited by PSimonR at Oct 22, 2011,
Okay then....
Online price from Guitarguitar (the place I generally go for gear shopping says 209.. :/ )
The fender website says $279.99
At the moment that converts to 175.58
(That was why I was thinking that area)

Are there any websites where I can find a cheap price for a new affinity bass

(Atm, Thomann are selling it for £191 and Giggear are selling it for 200)
Last edited by Highelf04 at Oct 22, 2011,
Quote by Highelf04
Okay then....
Online price from Guitarguitar (the place I generally go for gear shopping says 209.. :/ )

The price on the Fender site is MSRP, an authorized dealer will sell it retail below that price, just FYI.

You can't do a straight currency conversion and expect the price to be equal between different countries though. Here in the US, an Affinity Jazz costs $180 new. That converts to something like 113 GBP. I guarantee no dealer will sell you a new one for anywhere near that converted price from USD.

If it's used, you can haggle a bit on the price. If it's a floor model, you might be able to get a couple bucks off or have some extras thrown in if it has dents or dings in it. If it's new out of the box then you can try and see if they'll throw in some extras, but the in-store prices on new gear are set pretty standard.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Oct 22, 2011,
Fair play

Given I probably will go for the floor model,
I will probably ask to see if I can get it for 150-160
170-180 If I can get a strap or something similar

Good idea?
First off, don't bump threads--its in the rules, OK?

I would give it a try with the pricing. The worst they can say is no, but stay in the realm of reasonability. Unless they state it, most smaller stores don't have the volume to beat an online vendor.
Quote by Highelf04
Okay then....

(Atm, Thomann are selling it for £191 and Giggear are selling it for 200)

Honestly, for that sort of money, I'm going to recommend (despite what you said in your OP) that you reconsider what you're going to buy.

Squier affinity's are shaky. For around the £200 mark you could grab a VM or CV Squier, which for (almost) all intents and purposes is the same thing but with a higher build quality and better components.

It won't buy you a new one, but it'll buy you a second hand one in mint condition, and there's not really any sensible reason to buy new on a beginner instrument. Check out some websites such as Basschat for some great deals.