How to get that HUGE bass drop sound? (like Struc/tures and etc.) Mixtest inside

Here is what my current mix sounds like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=297_E0j9LfM

**UPDATED MIX LINK**
http://soundcloud.com/galactic-pegasus-2/cursing-akhenaten-take-2

I have bass drops in it, but I cannot get that huge bass drop sound that bands like After the Burial or Structures seem to get. Does anyone have any advice on how to do that?

Here is an example of what I am referring to (at 1:20)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeRS1YIfk2o

and here is another example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdR2Odpecmw&feature=related
Last edited by androidkaita at Oct 23, 2011,
Even though I can't answer your question, I enjoyed listening to that breakdown.
this is my signature, and it's purple in bold, you can't do anything about it.
I'm not too familiar with those bands you mentioned so I just youtube'd the first one you mentioned.

A little advice I would give would be to add a very low pitched (sub-bass frequencies) sine wave under your bass track. Follow the same notes as the bass guitar and cut it a little shorter in duration so that it doesn't sound like a drone. It's not a genré i'm too familiar with but it would be something I would experiment with. If it doesn't work it doesn't work...but no harm in trying.
Quote by Insomnia69
Even though I can't answer your question, I enjoyed listening to that breakdown.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it

Quote by Axe Samurai
I'm not too familiar with those bands you mentioned so I just youtube'd the first one you mentioned.

A little advice I would give would be to add a very low pitched (sub-bass frequencies) sine wave under your bass track. Follow the same notes as the bass guitar and cut it a little shorter in duration so that it doesn't sound like a drone. It's not a genré i'm too familiar with but it would be something I would experiment with. If it doesn't work it doesn't work...but no harm in trying.

I used to do this, but with a program called Spectrasonic's Trillian. However my PC's HDD got corrupted and I haven't reinstalled it yet. Do you have any particular VST that you would recommend to achieve this sine wave bass line?

That is not what exactly I am asking for though, I mean the bass booms that occur at the start of breakdowns in a lot of 'core' songs.
Nice writing, although i have to agree that the leads have way too much reverb. rhythm guitars sound sick though!
Almost every VST synthesiser should let you configure the oscillators in some way. I don't use Reason myself but i'm sure it comes with at least one software synth?.

All you have to do is go to the oscillator section and make one of the oscillators a sine wave and pitch it very low. You can turn every other feature in the synthesiser off. Have the bass track open alongside the VST and just fill in the midi notes as the bass plays and tweak till it sounds good.

The software synth I use myself is N.I Massive but it does cost money and really any synth whether it's free or not should allow you to make a sine wave like.
Quote by guitar_mad_ali
Nice writing, although i have to agree that the leads have way too much reverb. rhythm guitars sound sick though!

Thanks, this was the first time I tried to use reverb on lead guitars, so I guess I need to tweak that a lot as well haha.

Quote by Axe Samurai
Almost every VST synthesiser should let you configure the oscillators in some way. I don't use Reason myself but i'm sure it comes with at least one software synth?.

All you have to do is go to the oscillator section and make one of the oscillators a sine wave and pitch it very low. You can turn every other feature in the synthesiser off. Have the bass track open alongside the VST and just fill in the midi notes as the bass plays and tweak till it sounds good.

The software synth I use myself is N.I Massive but it does cost money and really any synth whether it's free or not should allow you to make a sine wave like.

I have Massive, I will try that out, thank you!
Last edited by androidkaita at Oct 22, 2011,
Quote by androidkaita

I have Massive, I will try that out, thank you!

Sweet. Well here I just quickly opened it up and set 2 oscillators to sine waves and pitched them down so here's the patch for it if you want to try it out.

Sine Wave Patch
There's a free VST called Subatomic thats pretty nice for drops you should check out. Joey Sturgis's bass drop he sells on his website is pretty big too.

Another thing from a mix perspective to consider when dealing with bass drops is that if you've got a compressor/limiter on the 2-buss, drops will hit it pretty hard and sometimes duck the mix, which can definitely add to the huge feel, but also it can sound horrible if over done. Also, i like to automate the HPF on my bass guitar up about 50hz during a drop so the drop is the predominate low frequencies going on.
Quote by Axe Samurai
Sweet. Well here I just quickly opened it up and set 2 oscillators to sine waves and pitched them down so here's the patch for it if you want to try it out.

Sine Wave Patch

Thanks, will definitely try that out!

Quote by Odirunn
There's a free VST called Subatomic thats pretty nice for drops you should check out. Joey Sturgis's bass drop he sells on his website is pretty big too.

Another thing from a mix perspective to consider when dealing with bass drops is that if you've got a compressor/limiter on the 2-buss, drops will hit it pretty hard and sometimes duck the mix, which can definitely add to the huge feel, but also it can sound horrible if over done. Also, i like to automate the HPF on my bass guitar up about 50hz during a drop so the drop is the predominate low frequencies going on.

Joey Sturgis' bass drop is actually the one that I am using currently. I will definitely play with the bass HPF automation though, that seems like a really good idea! I have no understanding of Compression at all though, I just throw a default ReaComp on the master bus channel
Also try a limiter on the drop track to bring up some of the harmonics as the pitch drops; this will make more of the drop audible and thus bigger.
Ok, I tried some of the suggestions here and this is what I came up with this time around:
http://soundcloud.com/galactic-pegasus-2/cursing-akhenaten-take-2

To be specific, I:
Took out the extensive reverb on the leads
Put a limiter on the bass drop and increased it's volume a bit
Put compressors on the rythm guitars with an "upwards expansion" preset
Changed the master bus compression
Used sine wave bass line in addition to the bass track
Having looked at that Veil Of Maya video you've just linked I am now almost certain that they used a sine wave for that effect.

Basically it's the same idea I had and infact you could use the patch I gave you. All they have done to create that is use a low pitched sine wave and then whatever note they chose to be played as soon as it gets hit they have automated it so that it decreased in pitch into the inaudible range.

Here's what I just made there now with the same patch I uploaded before. I think it's what you're aiming for is it not?

Bass Drops
Now that I've had a chance to listen to your clips, the reason your drop doesn't sound as big as the VOM one is because the one in their song starts at a much higher frequency where as the one you've got is mostly low, low mids to subs.

If you want, I can send you the drops I used on this song once I get to my desktop... which will be hopefully soon: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16210823/The%20Architect%20Final.mp3 little drops at 0:56 and 1:04, big drop at 1:31.

For your mix the leads sound way too dry now and could use a bit of verb and delay, just to give them a sense of natural space, not necessarily as a heavy effect. Not really mix related, but your leads sound so rigid! Loosen up and groove!
Quote by Axe Samurai
Having looked at that Veil Of Maya video you've just linked I am now almost certain that they used a sine wave for that effect.

Basically it's the same idea I had and infact you could use the patch I gave you. All they have done to create that is use a low pitched sine wave and then whatever note they chose to be played as soon as it gets hit they have automated it so that it decreased in pitch into the inaudible range.

Here's what I just made there now with the same patch I uploaded before. I think it's what you're aiming for is it not?

Bass Drops

Yeah that is what I am going for, I actually had just found out how to do this a different way using built in Rea effects before you posted this haha. Same idea as what you did, but without massive. Thanks again though

Quote by Odirunn
Now that I've had a chance to listen to your clips, the reason your drop doesn't sound as big as the VOM one is because the one in their song starts at a much higher frequency where as the one you've got is mostly low, low mids to subs.

If you want, I can send you the drops I used on this song once I get to my desktop... which will be hopefully soon: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16210823/The%20Architect%20Final.mp3 little drops at 0:56 and 1:04, big drop at 1:31.

For your mix the leads sound way too dry now and could use a bit of verb and delay, just to give them a sense of natural space, not necessarily as a heavy effect. Not really mix related, but your leads sound so rigid! Loosen up and groove!

Ok, that makes a lot of sense. I can really hear it now that you mentioned it, the pitch just drops very dramatically from the initial attack note. That would be great, I would like to try those out. (btw, that song is amazing, is that you doing vocals??)

I tried adding some reverb, but I am just using presets that came with the VST because I am not too sure of what I am doing haha. And not gonna lie, the leads were sped up to match the song, I cannot actually play that lead. I played it at 75% speed and then quantized it to fit where it should have. That could also have something to do with it sounding so mechanical haha

This is the perfect example of what I am going for (the same song as my mixtest)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdR2Odpecmw&feature=related
Last edited by androidkaita at Oct 23, 2011,
Thanks man, and nah, not me doing vocals. It's a local band I've recorded a couple songs for.

For matching the album sound on the leads, they're actually pretty reverb heavy, but stay clear. To get that sound, duplicate your lead track and only add reverb to one of the tracks, keeping it 100% wet. Try a large hall reverb and then mix the two tracks until you get the desired sound.There's also a bit of stereo delay bouncing each part to the opposite side of the stereo field during the main 'melody.' It sounds like maybe 8th notes with a pretty quick/low feed back. Listen to 0:25 of the album version to hear the trail of the reverb and delay. Make sure to always put delay before reverb in your chain.
Quote by Odirunn
Thanks man, and nah, not me doing vocals. It's a local band I've recorded a couple songs for.

For matching the album sound on the leads, they're actually pretty reverb heavy, but stay clear. To get that sound, duplicate your lead track and only add reverb to one of the tracks, keeping it 100% wet. Try a large hall reverb and then mix the two tracks until you get the desired sound.There's also a bit of stereo delay bouncing each part to the opposite side of the stereo field during the main 'melody.' It sounds like maybe 8th notes with a pretty quick/low feed back. Listen to 0:25 of the album version to hear the trail of the reverb and delay. Make sure to always put delay before reverb in your chain.

Ah I see, well it's sounding great man. Are you going to send me the drop samples you made haha

Thank you for the advice, I will have to try that out soon and post up a new clip!
Yeah when I get home from work. I haven't had access to my studio PC for a few days.