Ok, this post will likely be inviting flaming with open arms. This is my first post here (and I think I posted this in the appropriate place...) so please... go easy

So for about a year, I have been scouring the internet for guitars that have the exact specs I want. I'm a high school student going into university shortly, so seeing as this will be the last guitar I buy for a while, I want it to really suit my needs without serious modding. This shouldn't be terribly hard, I play mostly metal and heavy rock. That being said, after about a year of searching, I still have yet to find one that I am fully content with.

Here are a list of the specs that I'm pretty much adamant about:
25.5" scale (or something suitable for dropped-tune playing)
Neck-thru or set neck
Passive humbuckers
Hardtail bridge
Price under $1000

That being said, I'm incredibly, sickly picky. I care about aesthetics (that's where most of the guitars I've looked at fall short). I know I shouldn't, but I figure, I could be owning this guitar for a very long time. I don't want some silly looking thing that makes me grimace whenever I open my guitar case.
So there you have it. Suggestions?
Last edited by samjbow at Oct 22, 2011,
Do you have any preference for what kind of shape your looking for, cause there's a lot of guitars for under $1000. Also, to what extent are you drop tuning?

btw, welcome to the forum.
That guitar looks sick xP

And not really, I'm more a fan of traditional shapes though, nothing wild or crazy.
And I generally don't go much lower than Drop C or Standard C, Drop B on rare occasion.
Quote by skate.emerica89
im telling you man plug it into a mesa and its almost better than beer.
cheers mate

Also, have you thought about looking used? I figure finding a nice guitar used is better then finding some generic guitar.
Schecters look really sick. The ones from 700-1000 are mostly active EMG humbuckers though
My music tastes are like my preference for guitars. Rather narrow. I go only about as light as Coheed and Cambria and Alter Bridge, to about as heavy as old Metallica and Megadeth.
So there's not a great deal of difference there.
DUDE I FOUND YOU THE PERFECT GUITAR. SO CLASSY AND ELEGANT BUT HAS THE TONAL QUALITIES OF A LES PAUL. THE FASTER YOU STROKE THE BETTER THE SOUND!!! ALL HAIL THE GREAT WANGCASTER!
Esp/LTD EC-1000 MGO,FM. im biased though :P
Hell Yea Im Straight Edge!
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
Quote by Lagunaguitar
Schecters look really sick. The ones from 700-1000 are mostly active EMG humbuckers though

I was all for a Schecter until I started listening to Coheed and Cambria and Alter Bridge, when I decided I would probably want passive pickups.
I guess I could always swap them, but still, good pickups aren't cheap, and I don't have the equipment or know-how to do it myself...
Quote by samjbow
My music tastes are Coheed and Cambria.

Fixed

EDIT: I play nothing but coheed with an ESP Eclipse II W/ EMGs.

also, claud has EMGs in one of his explorers
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
Last edited by therosa69 at Oct 22, 2011,
Quote by therosa69
Esp/LTD EC-1000 MGO,FM. im biased though :P

Was looking at these, I might get one, but they only have a 24.75 scale and the nearest dealer is a two hour drive away, and I would never buy a guitar without playing it first. I've been keeping an eye on Kijiji for one to pop up, anyway.
Quote by samjbow
I was all for a Schecter until I started listening to Coheed and Cambria and Alter Bridge, when I decided I would probably want passive pickups.
I guess I could always swap them, but still, good pickups aren't cheap, and I don't have the equipment or know-how to do it myself...

Most Schecter guitars have passive pickups. Only the ATX models have active pickups.
Quote by therosa69
Fixed

EDIT: I play nothing but coheed with an ESP Eclipse II W/ EMGs.

also, claud has EMGs in one of his explorers

Did not actually know that... may consider it.
Could you pull off the fatter tones and lower-distorted tones of Alter Bridge with EMGs as well? I've played EMGs only a few times and loved them when I was blasting distortion, and I didn't even mind the clean, but I didn't try them out for any other tones.
Quote by Ghold125
Till you tell us where you live

Ibanez FRM100!

Southern Ontario, Canada. Closest ESP dealer is Steve's in Toronto.

And I've never once played an Ibanez I've liked, but if you can really swing me on one, then maybe...
Quote by Ghold125
You thought about looking used?

btw, Ibanez FRM100

Like I said I've been keeping one eye on Kijiji and another on my local L+M for anything that really catches my fancy. Like I said earlier though, I would never buy any guitar without playing it first.
Quote by samjbow
I had my eyes on the Hellraiser series for a long time, I played one and it sounded wonderful.
I'm just not sure I could get over the silly looking abalone crosses xD

Well that and the PRS are the best I can do for you. Good luck and welcome to UG!
Quote by Lagunaguitar
Well that and the PRS are the best I can do for you. Good luck and welcome to UG!

Thank you You've been very helpful.
Perhaps I should just spend my university savings on a custom shop ESP, no? xD
Why not just buy a cheaper guitar to bring to college? That's what I did, didn't want to worry about my jackson getting stolen
Quote by Ghold125
Why not just buy a cheaper guitar to bring to college? That's what I did, didn't want to worry about my jackson getting stolen

Good logic, I just don't want to beat around the bush with low-end guitars. My current guitar is an Epiphone and although it's a fairly good guitar for the price I paid, it has several issues.
Quote by Ghold125
Which epiphone?

The G-400 goth.
And the more I think about your last post, the more I wonder about it...
I use em to play blues, jazz, ect. they are really good pickups!
Quote by samjbow
The G-400 goth.
And the more I think about your last post, the more I wonder about it...

Definitively think about it. I learned by attending Uni for the first time this year that playing guitar is different. Also, what does the rest of your rig look like?
Quote by Ghold125
Definitively think about it. I learned by attending Uni for the first time this year that playing guitar is different. Also, what does the rest of your rig look like?

Only other stuff is a Fender Super Champ XD and a Dunlop Crybaby. No effects boards or anything, I just use the amps onboard effects and distortion when I need them. It does the job quite well.