Now then,

I've never altered a truss rod on a bass or guitar (my primary instrument). My bass neck is quite badly bowed (due to the last owner putting different strings on and not getting it set up.).

I can't play through it. The action is ridiculous because of the bowed neck so...

The truss rod adjustment effort is next to the body so is it a neck off situation or can I adjust it whilst it's attached?

Any tips for doing this? I SHOULD take it to a shop but i'm super skint and really wouldn't mind having a crack at it this weekend.

Thanks guys.
dont do it. take it to a shop. btw i didnt even read your post so if you said thats what your doing then its my bad mate. just whatever you do. dont do it!
yup, save up and ask the tech to show you how to do it, so you won't have to ask again
I usually do it without taking the neck off. Just don't overdo it (give it 1/4 of a turn at most and then wait a day or so).
Professional lurker since 2009.
Read up on it, there are tons of places online that tell you how to do it. Just take care and have a little patience. As long as you have the right tools (you don't want to cause damage by trying to do it with the wrong sized Alan Key, or whatever yours takes) there's no reason to go paying someone else to do it, especially if your finances are tight.

I remember worrying myself stupid, because of all the scare mongering, the first time I did it. But nothing exploded and no one died.
If the truss rod adjustment is a little wheel you won't have to take the neck off. It should operate like so:

EDIT: Also, the whole "don't touch your truss rod or your bass might shatter into a thousand pieces unless you pay a tech to do it" attitude is a load of horseshit. If it takes an allen or hex wrench just make sure to use the correct size to avoid damaging the nut, and don't crank on it.

Just go slowly and you should be fine.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Oct 22, 2011,
Quote by KingBollock
I remember worrying myself stupid, because of all the scare mongering, the first time I did it. But nothing exploded and no one died.

Quote by Tostitos
EDIT: Also, the whole "don't touch your truss rod or your bass might shatter into a thousand pieces unless you pay a tech to do it" attitude is a load of horseshit.

Yes, these two statements are pretty right - people really exaggerate the (nearly inexistent, if done well) risks that come with adjusting the truss rod.
Professional lurker since 2009.
Don't foreget to slacken the the strings before adjusting the truss rod especialy when taking out foreward bow.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn