Hi!

I just came back from the U.S with my Mesa Mini Rectifier.
I live in Sweden and we have 220volts power outlet, while you guys in the us have 110v. I spoke with the guys in the store and they told me to get a step down converter when i got home and that it would work. I googled it and got kinda the same answer.

Now, here in sweden, i bough the step down converter (220v-110v) and plugged in the amp. I plugged in all the cords and then turned on the amp. As soon as i switched on the amp the green power indicator flashed green for 1 sek and then a blue flash came from the back of the amp and i could smell some smoke.

I haven't tried to turn it on since then.

What could this be?

Anyone who had experienced something like this?

//John
Quote by philipk
I'd email mesa boogie

Well, the thing is....
Since this amp is made in the US, it's only supposed to be used there.
I dont think that my warranty covers this, but i could try.
Quote by Dormpatrol
Since this amp is made in the US, it's only supposed to be used there.

Wut.... I'm seriously confused by this, unless you're talking about voltages.
Quote by conor-figgy
Wut.... I'm seriously confused by this, unless you're talking about voltages.

What i mean is that im not really allowed to buy a mesa boogie in the US and use it in europe, but since it half the price in the US i thought i'd save some money.
Quote by Vendetta V
who said you're not allowed? you could say you bought it there and just moved to sweden yeah? for awhile.. the worst scenario is they'll tell you you've voided your warranty but duh?

That's smart, i'll e-mail them right away!
did you plug the head into a speaker cab?

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
did you plug the head into a speaker cab?

yep, though i never got so far as swtiching on the standby mode...
I didn't read the whole thing but I think you'll need to replace the fuse if it has one and use less power.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Did you buy a converter made for electronics? Some converters are only designed for hair dryers and put out current that can damage other devices. Hopefully you only blew a fuse!
Quote by AcousticMirror
Ya what's the load in ur stepper. It's gotta be like 500va or something

I can only find that is 300w, and converts 220VAC-110VAC...
Quote by Dormpatrol
I can only find that is 300w, and converts 220VAC-110VAC...

Do you still have the package and any documentation that came with it? If you do, read over it and look for warnings such as “ONLY FOR USE WITH HAIR DRYERS” or statements like “For use with all 110 VAC devices”.
Any time you lose magic blue smoke it's serious. I doubt that the step-down transformer is the issue. If it couldn't handle the load then it would blow up, not the amp. Your amp is faulty, send it back.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Email or call Mesa. Awesome customer service. They'll do what they can to keep you as a happy customer.

I would be very surprised if they refused service just because you're out of the country. If it is something you did wrong, I'm sure they'd at least help you get it right.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Hello
Any news about this topic? I want to get a mini recto, and also have 220V in my power grid. Did you get it to work with a down-step converter? Any other mods needed? Do you know anything about "rewiring" the internal trans?
Thanks