I've been playing guitar for about 4 years now and am bored or my cheap guitar.

I've been looking around and I like the style of schecter guitars. I'm looking to spend around £600 (about $900 i think) on a new guitar. I usually play songs by nickelback, bullet for my valentine, guns n roses and pantera. I have a peavey vypyr 30 amp which i practice on.

What would you suggest be the best guitar for me to buy?
Look for a used blackjack model. They're exceptionally well-made and they sell cheap because the lineup changes constantly so no one model has time to develop a great reputation. I have seen Guitar Center dumping excellent S1 (the SG model) Blackjacks for $250 in-store. Another great model to find is the C-1 classic, another discontinued but excellent design.

Of course, if you want to buy new just get the best model with whatever body style you prefer. Schecter quality control is very consistent, so it’s pretty safe to just mail-order and get what you want.
Hellraiser. I believe that it should be around £470 without the FR and around £564 with a FR. I'd also recommend that you look at the high end LTDs though. You could get an MH-1000 with a FR for £501 or an H-1001 with a FR for £533. Same guitar basically, the only major difference is that the LTDs have 1 volume control for both pickups where the Schecters have 1 volume control for each pickup. The Schecters also have the coil tap feature if you're interested in that. And the LTD's also have a maple neck instead of the Schecters mahogany neck (they both have mahogany bodies though) and I believe that this allows the LTDs neck to be slightly thinner.

I have an LTD H-1001 (without the FR) that I play through my Peavey Vypyr and I love it.

Edit: I also agree with jpnyc, the blackjack is a great guitar too. Especially if you can get a cheap used one.
Last edited by MonsterMetalMus at Oct 22, 2011,
I agree with the Hellraiser option, it was my second guitar, and it is widely suggested as a great second guitar for most guitarists

If your willing to fork out a bit more, you could get a Blackjack ATX model, just bought one and its sick as
Also, if you are in the USA, discontinued 2011 Schecter models will go on clearance in-store at Guitar Center between mid-November and early January. It’s worth checking your local store constantly for Schecter deals during this time. I got my 2009 C-1 Blackjack EX for $400 when it was discontinued.
Go try one first. A couple years back I was looking at Schecter and they seemed great because of their specs and all of the raving reviews about them.

When I actually tried one, I hated it. The neck was sticky and slow and the whole guitar just felt cheap (It was a Hellraiser, and I've tried a few including the 7 string model).

EDIT: And I feel I should add that when I was talking to Alex Bois (formerly of Periphery), he shared my sentiments about Schecter guitars. Before he was endorsed by Ibanez, one of his main guitars was a Blackjack... I think it was a 7 string. He said it got stolen but once he got his Ibanez he didn't really care because he hated the Blackjack. He said the neck was terrible on it.

However, that could all be personal preference. At any rate, while Schecter offers nice specs at a good price, the quality of the guitars is just not that great.

You can always change the hardware on a guitar, but you're stuck with the wood it's built out of.
Last edited by Pac_man0123 at Oct 22, 2011,
Quote by Pac_man0123
Go try one first. A couple years back I was looking at Schecter and they seemed great because of their specs and all of the raving reviews about them.

When I actually tried one, I hated it. The neck was sticky and slow and the whole guitar just felt cheap (It was a Hellraiser, and I've tried a few including the 7 string model).

EDIT: And I feel I should add that when I was talking to Alex Bois (formerly of Periphery), he shared my sentiments about Schecter guitars. Before he was endorsed by Ibanez, one of his main guitars was a Blackjack... I think it was a 7 string. He said it got stolen but once he got his Ibanez he didn't really care because he hated the Blackjack. He said the neck was terrible on it.

However, that could all be personal preference. At any rate, while Schecter offers nice specs at a good price, the quality of the guitars is just not that great.

You can always change the hardware on a guitar, but you're stuck with the wood it's built out of.

From what I've heard, Schecter quality is really good.
Maybe Alex Bois was talking about how the Schecter neck is a lot thicker than the ibanez? Did he say the wood on the neck was bad?
I personaly like the Tempest out of all the Schecters I have tried. get the best guitar you can with your budget and you should be happy.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by elloel
From what I've heard, Schecter quality is really good.
Maybe Alex Bois was talking about how the Schecter neck is a lot thicker than the ibanez? Did he say the wood on the neck was bad?

In my experience, Schecter is like any other Korean guitar maker. Their guitars are alright, but definitely nothing to phone home about, and definitely not worth $850 in my opinion. Apparently even the OFRs they use are actually Asian-made.

I don't think it was as much the wood as it was just the way they make their necks. Chunky and not very comfortable. That's mostly preference, though. My friend has a Schecter 006 or whatever it is (pretty cheap, I think around $300) and I prefer the neck on that to the Hellraisers I've played. The only Schecter I've actually considered buying is the C-1 Classic.