I was going to get a Yamaha FG700S with a 25 and 9/16 inch scale, which I like, because not only have I heard it has a bright sound, but the scale length is a bit longer than my current acoustic, so I'd get more string tension, which I also like. But I saw the yamaha APX500, which is smaller, so I'd imagine it would sound brighter, but the scale length is only 25 inches. Would I be able to notice a difference in the string tension there?
The tension would definitely be different. As speaking in electrics... I had to use .11s on my Ibanez for D standard whereas I need .12s on my Gibson for D standard. The shorter the scale length, the thicker strings you need. I think that the FG700S would feel quite okay with .11s in E standard, where the APX500 would demand for .12s, at least to my fingers. I'm used to quite heavy tension, but not really heavy.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I usually use 13s in D standard. I'm guessing the APX500 wouldn't be too great for that. I guess I'm getting the FG700S then...I hate short scales.