Poll: is america the be-all end-all for a musician that wants to be really successful?
Poll Options
View poll results: is america the be-all end-all for a musician that wants to be really successful?
Yes, if you want to be a massive global superstar, breaking America is a must
6 25%
No, there are plenty of world-wide superstars that are unknown in the states
9 38%
The world doesn't revolve around what Americans think is cool, get over yourselves
5 21%
Who wants to be a popstar anyway? Screw stadiums, I'm fine with playing in front of my mom and dad
0 0%
Depends what kind of music you're playing
2 8%
America informs the rest of the world how to be, that's just how it is..
2 8%
Voters: 24.
let me clarify: for a musician that wants to be really massive and successful, is breaking America and selling millions there a must? i'm not talking about you pretentious 'its just about the art maan' coach potato musicians out there, i'm talking about the ones that want to be known outside of their group of friends.

can anyone name some of the artists that sold millions in europe/asia/wherever but are virtual unknowns in america?

so do you think that in order to be considered a 'massive' artist you have to break into America?
Quote by killjoy_bentley
let me clarify: for a musician that wants to be really massive and successful, is breaking America and selling millions there a must? i'm not talking about you pretentious 'its just about the art maan' coach potato musicians out there, i'm talking about the ones that want to be known outside of their group of friends.

can anyone name some of the artists that sold millions in europe/asia/wherever but are virtual unknowns in america?

so do you think that in order to be considered a 'massive' artist you have to break into America?

If you are American.

There are plenty of well known bands in Europe that arent known in America.

First you have to be known locally, then you can continue from there.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Since America isn't the center of the universe I'm going to say no. Loads of artists in asia/europe/whatever might not be popular in America but everywhere else.

Take every j-pop/c-pop/k-pop artist there is. They might be hugely popular in asia (atleast the eastern parts) and sell millions, but in america they might not even have heard of them. And vice versa.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Take every j-pop/c-pop/k-pop artist there is. They might be hugely popular in asia (atleast the eastern parts) and sell millions, but in america they might not even have heard of them. And vice versa.

Quote by Guitar0player
If you are American.

There are plenty of well known bands in Europe that arent known in America.

First you have to be known locally, then you can continue from there.

Pretty much this.

For example the band A-Ha is pretty much only known for the song "Take On me" here in America but they're pretty big in Europe.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Last edited by unicornfist at Oct 22, 2011,