Okay i am having trouble with these not on the technique but on my guitar, it will not make a squealy sound or a pinch harmonic, normally i thought it was because i suck. But i tried this on my friends guitar and it made a pinch harmonic sound... which makes like no sense to me. I use a bc rich warlock with .10 elixar strings. My amp is a peavey vypyr 15 watt . my friend uses a ibanez rg 120 with a peavey vypyr 30 watt? settings on both amps were the same.

Any suggestions would be great. I personally think its either my pick ups or the guitar itself.... but im not sure..
I think it's your guitar's shape.

No just kidding, have you got distortion on (obvious question but I didn't see it in your post). It helps to make the harmonic more audible.
Are you 100% sure it is not your tetechnique?
If you use enough gain, the gear should really not be the problem.
Try holding the pic in different ways.
I've noticed with my guitar it helps to have to pups raised up so there closer to the strings. So if you can raise yours on your guitar, which you should be able to, try that
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Peavey: Vypyr 15W
ESP: H-1001
Guitar Rig 5 with Kontrol
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
Don't forget different pickups = different place where you can harvest harmonics. On my old guitar (Washburn X-10) I could only catch pinch harmonics with ease right above the edge of the neck humbucker. On my new one (Cort VX-4V) I can catch between the bridge and neck. Of course, you can catch at many other places too but these are the easiest. Experiment, you might find one at the 24th fret
You can find the harmonic like any other natural harmonic, test it over the pickups to find the right spots to make sure youre picking them in the right place
Quote by carlmagnus9
Are you 100% sure it is not your tetechnique?
If you use enough gain, the gear should really not be the problem.
Try holding the pic in different ways.

ya im totally sure its not my technique cause it kindove sounds like a squeal but it doesnt not make the normal sound of it , like when i tried it on my friends guitar it sounded really good and sounded more normal.
How i do my squealies are i do a vibrato with the tip of my first finger with my left hand . then i hold the pick with first and thumb and strike the string so the strings hits my thumb right after.
I use two different Warlocks and for both of them, my pinch harms are best found when you pinch at the back end of the neck pickup. Also, make sure you've selected your bridge pickup. Pinch harm's are possible with the neck pickup selected, but they're easier when you're on bridge.

Also, what tuning are you in? The lower the tuning, the slower the string vibrates, the easier it is. Zakk Wylde plays in variations of C tunings...and you hear them too often.

And when you change your strings, get Ernie Ball Regular Slinky (or Power Slinky if you're planning on using Drop C tuning or lower). They're just better
Gear

Guitar
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Ibanez RG370DX
BC Rich Warlock SE
BC Rich Warlock NJ Series (Kahler trem)
BC Rich Mockingbird Acrylic Ice Series
BC Rich Mockingbird Spiro Light
Line6 Bogner 1X12 Tube Amp
Last edited by daheck1210 at Oct 22, 2011,
Quote by NIN1993
I've noticed with my guitar it helps to have to pups raised up so there closer to the strings. So if you can raise yours on your guitar, which you should be able to, try that

alright ill try that , seems weird so ill try it lol
Quote by Dopemgs
Don't forget different pickups = different place where you can harvest harmonics. On my old guitar (Washburn X-10) I could only catch pinch harmonics with ease right above the edge of the neck humbucker. On my new one (Cort VX-4V) I can catch between the bridge and neck. Of course, you can catch at many other places too but these are the easiest. Experiment, you might find one at the 24th fret

i usually do it right above my bridge pick up .. sometimes ill do the pinch harmonic up and down the string close to the pickups to find the best sound but it really doesnt sound right either way...
Quote by daheck1210
I use two different Warlocks and for both of them, my pinch harms are best found when you pinch at the back end of the neck pickup. Also, make sure you've selected your bridge pickup. Pinch harm's are possible with the neck pickup selected, but they're easier when you're on bridge.

Also, what tuning are you in? The lower the tuning, the slower the string vibrates, the easier it is. Zakk Wylde plays in variations of C tunings...and you hear them too often.

ive tried it in these tunings ( dadgbe, eadgbe, cgcfad and dgcfad).
Quote by littleknarfy
ive tried it in these tunings ( dadgbe, eadgbe, cgcfad and dgcfad).

I use the first 3 mainly and I always get my pinches right behind the neck pickup. Like I said, I also have a Warlock and that's what works for me. I also kept the bdsm stock pickups in it, and they work fine for pinches.
Gear

Guitar
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Ibanez RG370DX
BC Rich Warlock SE
BC Rich Warlock NJ Series (Kahler trem)
BC Rich Mockingbird Acrylic Ice Series
BC Rich Mockingbird Spiro Light
Line6 Bogner 1X12 Tube Amp
Quote by daheck1210
I use the first 3 mainly and I always get my pinches right behind the neck pickup. Like I said, I also have a Warlock and that's what works for me. I also kept the bdsm stock pickups in it, and they work fine for pinches.

ya ill try it, ya i have the bdsm pick ups in them i wanted to upgrade them and my amp, how close are your pick ups to the strings ? Should i remove the strings before moving the bridge down?
Quote by littleknarfy
i usually do it right above my bridge pick up .. sometimes ill do the pinch harmonic up and down the string close to the pickups to find the best sound but it really doesnt sound right either way...

You can't execute a pinch harmonic in the same place for different notes that you're playing. At least that's what I find happens.

Have you tried moving up and down the whole body? It sounds to me you're just constraining the attempts to near the pickups.
Harmonics works by striking the string at a certain fraction or division of where you have the string fretted.
It causes the string to vibrate in a way where it gives a harmonic pitch because the string's vibration is split.
To expand on the above poster, because the way the string's vibration is split, you get parts of the string that are vibrating, and parts that are staying still.

Like if you do a 12th fret natural harmonic, the string is stationary at the 12th fret, and moving most half way between the 12 fret and the bridge, also half way between the 12th fret and the head of the guitar.

If you're playing the pinch harmonics directly over the pickups, it may be that you're creating the stationary bit of the string over the pickup. No movement there means the pickup has nothing to sense.

Try moving away from the pickup.
There are loads of different places you can play pinch harmonics. There are more the close you get to the bridge, but they also become harder to play.

Keep moving around. You'll find one somewhere.

Good luck!
It's either your technique or where exactly you are touching the string. Gain, action, tone, etc. has nothing to do with it. It might make it easier to be heard through the amp, but with enough practice you can get a pinch harmonic on any string instrument using a plectrum.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.