http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25F15iX7WC8

The bits I'm talking about specifically are 0:11 to 0:53 and 1:18 to the end.

I know theory, believe me, a lot more than a lot of people. I also have perfect pitch and a bunch of other little talents. But how is this guy coming up with such nice-sounding ear-sex? The rhythms are so out there, as well as his use of extensions.... halp?

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
How's he doing it? His mind, that's how. Listen to a wide array of music and try to play unconventional things, guitar playing and theory wise.
listen to some more jazz/fusion guitar players

guthrie govan and alex hutchings do those types of licks constantly
Quote by rickyj
listen to some more jazz/fusion guitar players

guthrie govan and alex hutchings do those types of licks constantly

Hey thanks, I listen to a lot of Guthrie Govan, I own Erotic Cakes, I'll listen to Alex Hutchings! Any recommendations on where to start off?

I write songs.
none
Quote by WyvernOmega
Any recommendations on where to start off?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6SJjH-Bdvs

he's got a bunch of these videos on youtube, they're songs he wrote for jamtrackcentral.com so you can get the backing tracks and a tab of it if you want.

i don't think his album is actually out yet so you'll have to stick to youtube until it is.

edit: make sure you take into account that he plays in EADGCF tuning if your trying to learn by watching him.
Last edited by rickyj at Oct 22, 2011,
Quote by rickyj
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6SJjH-Bdvs

he's got a bunch of these videos on youtube, they're songs he wrote for jamtrackcentral.com so you can get the backing tracks and a tab of it if you want.

i don't think his album is actually out yet so you'll have to stick to youtube until it is.

I just checked that one out, definitely very fresh! But how do I incorporate influences such as his playing style and Guthrie's into my own playing?

One thing that also makes me jizz in substantial amounts are very large (please excuse my lack of vocabulary) chord changes, such as chromatics.

I write songs.
none
Last edited by WyvernOmega at Oct 22, 2011,
Quote by WyvernOmega
I just checked that one out, definitely very fresh! But how do I incorporate influences such as his playing style and Guthrie's into my own playing?

i would try to learn a few licks from the video to get used to the awkward phrasing and eventually try to write my own licks.

i think this type of playing really requires you to hear what your playing in your head before you play it, so try to imagine a lick similar to this and try to play it.
Quote by WyvernOmega
I also have perfect pitch
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: New York Voices, as well as the new Vulfpeck record (fuck it's so good)

You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
Listen to jazz/fusion piano/saxophone/other instrument that isn't guitar and transpose sexy licks.
you're a stone fox
Well as obviously stated lissen to jazz fusion, all jazz fusion have those sexy "outside" licks.

People like Guthrie, alex, Allan holdsworth, Frank gambale, Al di meola, shawn lane etc.

And to how to get it into your own style you have not just learn the lick(s), you look more deeply into it. Look at the note choice over the chords and then try to replicate it over other chords etc.
Take a good look at how he phrase the lick and then maybe at that phrasing to some other lick.
Or take the same lick he used and add another phrasing on it to make it sound different.

Hope i helped.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
pitch axis, bitch

also, try soloing like by the chord instead of within the key. and outside notes, use them often.
But how is this guy coming up with such nice-sounding ear-sex? The rhythms are so out there, as well as his use of extensions.... halp?

Well, I mean, it's pretty obvious - practice.

If you can hear "out there" rhythms - figure them out, use them.
If you can hear the extensions - figure them out, use them.

I would strongly advise working mostly on your fretboard knowledge and use of chord tones, as this is the main barrier for "rock" musicians moving into fusion.
another thing you might want to know is that people use the term improv differently with music then with everything else. he has practiced every one of those phrases many many many many times and had a general idea of what he was going to play before he played it. before starting "improv" know the key and what scales you plan to use at what times. also improve is something that must be practiced.
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
Last edited by ThatDarnDavid at Oct 23, 2011,
^ "Improv" - as in short for improvising.

And I seriously doubt he's practiced all of those phrases - otherwise it's not really improvisation. It's totally possible to create long, fluid, very fast lines without preparing them specifically - although you do have to practice lots to gain the skills required to do so.