Is anyone here in a band for the sake of being in a band? I like playing music with bands first and foremost, and I have no issues with playing tiny venues with just us there. I don't even really see the point in naming bands I'm in because it's just music for the sake of music. We might as well just be called Dave. It's cool with me to do that forever. Every band I play in though seems to always want to 'push it' and 'go somewhere.'

Anyone else share my view or am I odd? I keep joining up with bands to make music and before we've even got a full line-up everyone seems to want a band name and a photoshoot 'for the facebook page.'
Well if you don't want to aim for success/fanbase/gigs etc, I wouldn't really call it a band. I'd just call it jam buddies. Sure I've jammed with people with no intention of taking it further than the loungeroom. However if I'm in a "band" I intend to push it, make a fanbase, gig a bit etc.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Oh I love playing gigs. That's the best bit, I just have no interest in their being other people there. I love driving across the country and playing in a bar. We always have a blast and it's cool to be able to go somewhere new and do our thing in a weird old bar or something. I just got bored of all the other stuff. We spent ages in the last band being given tickets to sell at some ridiculous price and it all becomes a thing about how many people you can bring to events and how good your public profile is, and your facebook page . . . I don't know. I just wondered if I was the only one that thought that even at the low end the music business was a bit up its own arse and that we should all get back to the business of just playing and forgetting about the rest.
There isn't a problem with it as long as everyone else in your band is wanting the same thing out of it.

Quote by CobenBlack
I just got bored of all the other stuff. We spent ages in the last band being given tickets to sell at some ridiculous price and it all becomes a thing about how many people you can bring to events and how good your public profile is, and your facebook page . . . I don't know

The "selling tickets" thing sounds like pay-to-play gigs. Otherwise, yeah if you want success as a band you should try to get as many people to each gig as possible. You can work on your Facebook/Myspace/other as well but that's not the most important thing out there.
Soundcloud
I'm the same way... Getting famous and whatnot isn't my main goal, although I certainly wouldn't turn it down lol. It's all about writing that really good song that makes people stop, think and actually feel something. That being said, I'm one of the more driven members when it comes to the band, but that's because I'm passionate about the stuff we play.

Although I have to ask... if you don't care if anyone is in a bar, why bother driving for an hour to play there?
Some people play in bands for intrinsic reasons. I play in a house band for a club once a week, all of us in the band have a lot in common, we are all over 35, we all have successful careers outside of music, we all get along very well and have become close friends.

Since most of us put in long hours we find playing music lets us blow off steam, have some fun and drinks, and relax. We don't have to travel, keep most of our equipment on site and have regular schedule, so there is no hassle.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by AlanHB
Well if you don't want to aim for success/fanbase/gigs etc, I wouldn't really call it a band. I'd just call it jam buddies. Sure I've jammed with people with no intention of taking it further than the loungeroom. However if I'm in a "band" I intend to push it, make a fanbase, gig a bit etc.

Au contraire, I must beg to differ.

I don't think a group has to aim for or actually have comercial success to be defined as a band, actually it kind of sounds rather pompous.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by BlackbirdPie
Au contraire, I must beg to differ.

I don't think a group has to aim for or actually have comercial success to be defined as a band, actually it kind of sounds rather pompous.

I didn't actually mention commercial success, and that sort of thing is extremely unlikely for an originals band anyway. I was just trying to embody some goals for the band - something to work towards.

How's your house band going? Commercially successful?
Soundcloud
My opinion is that wanting to play gigs / build a building a bigger fan base is fine however too many bands get over-excited about this and forget about the music. It seems alot of bands rush through the writing process so they can get recordings on facebook and start playing out. Its important to make sure the music is good first, then play. But if it sounds good and its what you want gigging is fun times mannn.
I like the travelling part. Gives you an excuse to go somewhere you might not normally think to go and road trips are always fun, especially when you get to play at the end of it.

I'm interested to see that there are other people who actually see where I'm coming from. In my area, nearly everyone seems to think that there band is going to be the next big thing, and I just get the feeling from them that if it turns out to not be then they'll probably quit.

There are just a lot of ways bands are sort of told they have to think that I totally disagree with.
Quote by CobenBlack
I'm interested to see that there are other people who actually see where I'm coming from. In my area, nearly everyone seems to think that there band is going to be the next big thing, and I just get the feeling from them that if it turns out to not be then they'll probably quit.

I think you have to have that mentality if you are in fact, going to be the next big thing. Of course the chances of it actually happening are miniscule, and you don't really get that many chances either.

Theoretically if you are going to quit once you realise that the band isn't "the next big thing", when exactly do you quit? One month in? One year in? Four years in? It's time wasted on not being in "the next big thing" and before you know it, your chance has gone.
Soundcloud
I got out of the music business in 1993 for a few reasons, but a couple of years ago, jamming along with backing trax got old and I wanted to start playing again.

I understand where your coming from... All the bands I found were trying to tell me to practice 5 hours a day, or I have to write one original per month, and "We're working towards "Hittin' the Road"... (bleh)

I spent 6 weeks at a whack living in a bus playing everything from one nighters weekenders or week long sit downs in hotel lounges, and the pay was shitty, I didn't sleep good and it's a whole lot more work than a lot of people think it is...

So, put my own band together and let everyone know right up front that we wouldn't be playing more than twice a month practice on your own as much as you need to, and the band gets together for practice when we can.. usually every other week or so. Originals are great if they fit, and we will not, under any circumstances, go on the road. If we can't drive there, and drive back the same night and be home by sunrise, it's too far...

I wound up with 3 other Ex-Pro's in pretty much the same boat as me, with the same mind set.. been together a year this month, and I'm having a blast...

As a side note, I figured out real quick that I can get a whole lot better equipment with my day job than I ever could playing full time.. LOL
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
One of my friends started this band that was initially (at least that's the impression I got) just sort of a goofing off thing, so I decided to join as the drummer for the hell of it. Then songwriting started getting serious, and ambition started getting serious and I had no problems with them finding a "real" drummer (aka, someone who could actually come up with non-generic drum parts). It was fun, but I'm definitely wanting to try and get somewhere with the band I'm in, as well as my solo work
I used to be friends with a guy who really took this mentality way too far. He was so "anti-making it" that, despite always seeming to be in a band/want to form a band, he didn't give a shit about anything regarding them. He didn't care that he couldn't write or play worth a fiddler's **** and he never tried to improve on anything...let's just say I'm glad I never had to pay to see him play.

I'm going to stop there because I could write an entire book on the shit I had to go through involving music with the guy.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.