:/ I just can't seem to get this one... it's the intro to can't stop by the red hot chili peppers, from what I can tell I learned it wrong originally

My problem is that when I play to the intro tp the song I can't play it correctly...it's like I can't feel the rest of the band and I can't feel when it's my time to play...as well as metering my playing to there tempo... I have tried backing tracks, doing it with a metronome (ican sorta do this, but it doesn't feel like when I play other songs), it's really a timing issue I can play the riff and give it the right timing feeling while alone, but with a band, backing track and metronome I go nowhere
I can't tap my foot while playing the intro and idk why. suggestions?

song
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
Last edited by 801Current at Oct 22, 2011,
Can you describe your problem any clearer? Are you coming in at the wrong time? playing to fast/slow?
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150
Can you describe your problem any clearer? Are you coming in at the wrong time? playing to fast/slow?

all of the above. I'm having trouble feeling it, and starting and keeping it in time. usually I meter my self with a tapping foot if I need to, but I cannot seem to play the riff while keeping a steady beat.
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
break down the riff, play only the notes tat are on the beat. gradually add more.
Quote by Hydra150
break down the riff, play only the notes tat are on the beat. gradually add more.

okay wont let me to the tab right. but the riff is in 16th notes it's two notes da na and there is five 'da na's and in between each is another 16th and then there is two 16ths at the end which make if four four time...

5 7 + 5 7 e 5 7 3 5 7 a 5 7 + a

like this 5 7's being the frets played on the a string in one measure

then the bass and drums are streaming 16th notes
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Last edited by 801Current at Oct 23, 2011,
Oh, I thought you mean the main riff - yeah the intro seems a lot more confusing.

If you cant feel it then try counting it in little chunks like this;

[: 123 123 123 123 1234 :]

Badada Badada Badada Badada Badadada

Or slightly different;

[: 123 123 123 123 12 12 :]

Badada Badada Badada Badada Bada Bada

Move head / tap foot on the 1's/Ba's. Dono how you would spell that in the 1e+a2e+a... system but give it a try if thats the way you like to think about rhythms. I wouldnt focus on accenting the beats in this part of the song, youll just confuse yourself. This is the way I think about stuff like Dave Brubeck's Blue Rondo alla Turk, its in 9/8 and I think 12 12 12 123, works for me.

Might wanna try it a bit slower at first. It might also help if, when its slower, you picked a note on every 16th note (so give the E note on the A string two picks each time and three picks on the last time) so that you dont have to wory about the rests. Or if you wanna keep the rests in you could add a note (palm muted D note or just a muted scratch noise) at the last 16h note of the bar, that could help.
Last edited by Hydra150 at Oct 23, 2011,
Quote by Hydra150
Oh, I thought you mean the main riff - yeah the intro seems a lot more confusing.

If you cant feel it then try counting it in little chunks like this;

[: 123 123 123 123 1234 :]

Badada Badada Badada Badada Badadada

Or slightly different;

[: 123 123 123 123 12 12 :]

Badada Badada Badada Badada Bada Bada

Move head / tap foot on the 1's/Ba's. Dono how you would spell that in the 1e+a2e+a... system but give it a try if thats the way you like to think about rhythms. I wouldnt focus on accenting the beats in this part of the song, youll just confuse yourself. This is the way I think about stuff like Dave Brubeck's Blue Rondo alla Turk, its in 9/8 and I think 12 12 12 123, works for me.

Might wanna try it a bit slower at first. It might also help if, when its slower, you picked a note on every 16th note (so give the E note on the A string two picks each time and three picks on the last time) so that you dont have to wory about the rests. Or if you wanna keep the rests in you could add a note (palm muted D note or just a muted scratch noise) at the last 16h note of the bar, that could help.

thanks ill try that.
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.