this may look as a dumb question but is it possible to have an active pickup on bridge position and a passive one in neck ?
sure it's possible - but it takes a bit of finagling wiring-wise, but I was really confused by your thread title. I was thinking "what, do picks have batteries in them now?"
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Search bar.

Yes, it's possible.

No, it's not worth the trouble of doing.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by STEGMAIER
this may look as a dumb question but is it possible to have an active pickup on bridge position and a passive one in neck ?
As long as the preamp is between the PuP and the selector switch I'd say yes.

Plan "B", would be to wire the guitar in stereo. Whether that would be necessary, I'm not entirely certain.
Quote by oneblackened
sure it's possible - but it takes a bit of finagling wiring-wise, but I was really confused by your thread title. I was thinking "what, do picks have batteries in them now?"

Active picks. Awesome.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
You could with a preamp.

You can without a preamp, but they can't share any pots, and you won't have a position that combines them.
Quote by W4RP1G
You could with a preamp.

You can without a preamp, but they can't share any pots, and you won't have a position that combines them.
Actually, it makes more sense to just preamp both of them, or get a stomp box preamp.

If the passive and active pickups can't share any pots, then wiring the guitar in stereo might be a "good" option.
Quote by VVolverin3
Active picks. Awesome.
Um, "Ebow"....?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 23, 2011,
I prefer Dunlop Tortex (1.0mm), but a lot of people swear by Jazz IIIs.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by Captaincranky
Um, "Ebow"....?

Haha nah it's just the first thing I thought of was like a regular pick with a battery crudely taped to it.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by VVolverin3
Haha nah it's just the first thing I thought of was like a regular pick with a battery crudely taped to it.

On topic, so as to avoid spam: What are you looking at doing TS?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Captaincranky
Actually, it makes more sense to just preamp both of them, or get a stomp box preamp.

If the passive and active pickups can't share any pots, then wiring the guitar in stereo might be a "good" option.
Um, "Ebow"....?

Well, of course it makes more sense, but I'm just putting another option out there.

I ought to start messing with preamps more, it seems ideal to have an active bridge pickup and a passive neck, unless the preamp kills the tonal qualities of a passive