Hey guys, I'm new here so sorry if I **** any of the rules up. At any rate, I just inherited my mom's guitar which is about 30ish years old. It's a Suzuki and it says "model 15" inside. The G, B, and high E strings are all nylon. I hate the sound and want to put other strings on it, but I'm not sure if I should. Is there some reason I shouldn't put new strings on? Is the wood of an old guitar not strong enough for the strings? It's in great shape; it may as well have been bought yesterday... Thanks!
All of the strings are nylon, the thicker ones are wound with phosphor-bronze or a similar alloy. There's nylon fibre in the middle of them.

Don't put steel strings on it, whatever you do. Please, for the love of god don't put steel strings on it.

If you replace the strings, which you probably should after 30 years, replace it with a set of nylon strings.
It's 30 years old. Put new strings on it
GEAR
Squier Strat

Custom Audio Electronics MC404 CAE Wah
MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss RC-3 Looper

Marshall JVM 205C
If this is a nylon strung type of guitar, similar to this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/manuel-rodriguez-fc-cedar-classical-guitar (Notice the slotted headstock and the spool winders). You must restring with nylon. There is no truss rod in these type necks, and the tension of steel strings will ruin the instrument!
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 23, 2011,
Quote by Captaincranky
If this is a nylon strung type of guitar, similar to this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/manuel-rodriguez-fc-cedar-classical-guitar (Notice the slotted headstock and the spool winders). You must restring with nylon. There is no truss rod in these type necks, and the tension of steel strings will ruin the instrument!

I have two nylon string guitars and they both have truss rods.

Still, they are definitely not made to support steel strings.
Quote by Butt Rayge
I have two nylon string guitars and they both have truss rods.

Still, they are definitely not made to support steel strings.
So, I should have probably gone with, "there is no truss rod in many nylon strung guitars"?
Doesn't matter if it has a truss or not, the guitar still wasn't made to have steel strings on it, and that's the true point. Secondary is the truss issue.
TS, you should bring the guitar to a reputable shop and have a tech look it over before doing anything to it. He'll be able to spot any problematic areas and advise you from there. We here at UG can't see, touch or hear the guitar and therefore are not the best suited to tell you which way to go at the moment. Yes, you could post pictures and yes, we could say this or that, but the bottom line is I can't pick up that guitar of yours and check it out up close and in person.
By having it professionally looked over it'll give you some peace of mind when you do restring it and play it.
i'll look at it/ hold it up to the screen so i can see it. hmm.. i see...uh-huh, yes yes. it seems your cat-guts are definitely overexposed. only cure is a new kittens innards... and you should take that poster of farrah fawcett off your wall. it's be cool if it was a classic but its a current shot. not pretty.
Quote by LeftyDave
Doesn't matter if it has a truss or not, the guitar still wasn't made to have steel strings on it, and that's the true point. Secondary is the truss issue.
TS, you should bring the guitar to a reputable shop and have a tech look it over before doing anything to it. He'll be able to spot any problematic areas and advise you from there. We here at UG can't see, touch or hear the guitar and therefore are not the best suited to tell you which way to go at the moment. Yes, you could post pictures and yes, we could say this or that, but the bottom line is I can't pick up that guitar of yours and check it out up close and in person.
By having it professionally looked over it'll give you some peace of mind when you do restring it and play it.

I mentioned that my guitars had truss rods so he didn't automatically assume that any guitar with a truss rod is meant to have steel strings on it. I wasn't just trying to disprove what anybody said.

I mean, I don't think this guy is stupid, but if he doesn't know which strings to put on his guitar, he might take a piece of information such as 'classical guitars don't have truss rods,' and assume it means 'all guitars with truss rods are made for steel string.' Once again, not because I think he's stupid, just because he hasn't learned yet. We were all beginners once.

Also, I'm not sure if this is an issue that requires a guitar tech...
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Oct 24, 2011,
The reason I said he ought to bring it to a knowlegable person is that it's an inherited guitar, and by the sound of it, one of sentimental value to the TS. It also doesn't seem as though he's been playing it yet. If the guitar has been just sitting around for a long time unused, it may have problems. Most shops won't charge for a quick once over examination and by doing so the TS will have gained a starting point and will know where to go from there.