after getting my class 5, Ive really wanted something that can get enough headroom and still pull off the same kind of mojo, a friend of mine has a univox 1221 head with matching cab from the 60s, these things usually go for like $300-$400 on ebay or somewhere around there and I can get a good deal on it.

originally when I tried it I thought - too clean. but if you dig into it you can start getting some dirt when its cranked (not very much, but that verge of breakup sound), but I just got a Tube screamer, and today I threw that in front of the univox and wow. The overdrive of that amp pushed hard, to me, seemed pretty sweet, and it has very rich sound and is dynamic/responsive to playing. good reverb and tremolo.

Im thinking I might sell the JSX, save a bit of the money I get on it and get the univox instead.

what do you guys think of something like a combination of the univox, a fuzz pedal, tube screamer, wah, and maybe a few other pedals here and there would be for classic rock, blues, some jazz, and hard rock?

I played a les paul copy through it and I feel like it might be able to handle harder stuff pushed hard with an overdrive/boost and humbuckers.

but I figure someone on here has more experience with this than me and might know if I'll regret replacing the JSX with it.

I dont need or want the gain the JSX has on tap anymore, really, and if I ever want to play metal, I'll just use some sort of high gain distortion pedal for it.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
They lied outrageously about their power rating. They are an A/B 2X6L6 amp and they claimed that they were 100W - yeah right! In what universe?
They run two 6AN8 preamp tubes and that's where you might get into trouble. I'd make sure that you can source those valves before getting it otherwise you're going to have to do some modding. I don't know much about those tubes.
Here's the schematic if you are interested.
http://www.prowessamplifiers.com/schematics/misc/univox1221.pdf

Edit. OK, looked up what a 6AN8 is. They are a triode/pentode valve like the 7199's you find in Ampegs. They are the Russian equivalent (the 6 was a bit of a giveaway) like a 6N2P is the Russian equivalent of the 12AX7. Equivalent only in general performance characteristics. They have a 6V heater. Not a 2 X 6 volt heater, a single 6V heater element. If that was all that was different it would be easy but it doesn't end there. The pinouts are quite different. You wouldn't just have to rewire the heater, you'd have to rewire the entire socket to run a 7199.
With those old russian valves you can get lucky. A little while ago a metric shitload of 6N2P's came onto the market. I think somebody found an old Voshod warehouse full of them. I don't know about 6AN8, never come across one, first time I've even read about them was today. You could look at what's available on Ebay. If you were to buy the amp, I'd stock up on them. Supply could dry up overnight - if there even is a supply.
Unfortunately Voshod valves are crap, it's probably why the Russians never made it to the moon. They work and are fairly reliable but I have to say the 6N2P's I have sound really flat and lifeless, they aren't even as good as a Sovtek - they are that bad. The 6ANP may be better but I wouldn't place a bet on it.
I'd do a lot of reasearch into 6AN8's before I'd even contemplate getting it. Could be a nasty headache, it may even be why he's getting rid of it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 23, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
They lied outrageously about their power rating. They are an A/B 2X6L6 amp and they claimed that they were 100W - yeah right! In what universe?
They run two 6AN8 preamp tubes and that's where you might get into trouble. I'd make sure that you can source those valves before getting it otherwise you're going to have to do some modding. I don't know much about those tubes.
Here's the schematic if you are interested.
http://www.prowessamplifiers.com/schematics/misc/univox1221.pdf

Edit. OK, looked up what a 6AN8 is. They are a triode/pentode valve like the 7199's you find in Ampegs. They are the Russian equivalent (the 6 was a bit of a giveaway) like a 6N2P is the Russian equivalent of the 12AX7. Equivalent only in general performance characteristics. They have a 6V heater. Not a 2 X 6 volt heater, a single 6V heater element. If that was all that was different it would be easy but it doesn't end there. The pinouts are quite different. You wouldn't just have to rewire the heater, you'd have to rewire the entire socket to run a 7199.
With those old russian valves you can get lucky. A little while ago a metric shitload of 6N2P's came onto the market. I think somebody found an old Voshod warehouse full of them. I don't know about 6AN8, never come across one, first time I've even read about them was today. You could look at what's available on Ebay. If you were to buy the amp, I'd stock up on them. Supply could dry up overnight - if there even is a supply.
Unfortunately Voshod valves are crap, it's probably why the Russians never made it to the moon. They work and are fairly reliable but I have to say the 6N2P's I have sound really flat and lifeless, they aren't even as good as a Sovtek - they are that bad. The 6ANP may be better but I wouldn't place a bet on it.
I'd do a lot of reasearch into 6AN8's before I'd even contemplate getting it. Could be a nasty headache, it may even be why he's getting rid of it.

idk about that cathbard, he took it to a local place and had it retubed not long ago, seems to work well now.

its possible it was already modded before he got it, I'll have to take a look. he got it used and it passed through several hands before he got it.

edit |: not trying to be condescending, It just might have been modded already im not sure, I'll have to go check on it.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Oct 23, 2011,
keep in mind tha t Univox was a cheapie company so you may find that there would be reliability issues with it. i'd get it for a fun amp to have but not as my main amp. cathbard has some good points as i've encountered similar issues with od tube amps i've come across over the years. some of the parts may be difficult or impossible to replace if they go wrong.
Do your research. I've simply pointed out what you need to research. Those valves may be available but if there isn't a modern manufacturer you could get into trouble down the track. I've pointed you in the right direction of study, the rest is up to you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
if nothing else I can always pick up an 18w ceriatone or something up to 50 watts or whatever for what I can get for my JSX, which would probably be a lot cooler even, so its not really that much of a worry. like I said I'll take a look at the tube sockets and such, and if its stuck with those I'll stay away
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
personally i would jump on it. it shouldnt be too hard to change the wiring on the tube socket to accept a different tube or get a professional to do it. i was looking into getting a univox head myself actually. i love the the pedal setup you were thinking about. add a chorus and youve basically got hillel slovak's board. i would add a delay too probably.