So I am contemplating a new guitar. I've been on here recently asking for some opinions on several les paul models, which has been great thanks. But recently I have come to the conclusion that what I need is a bit different to what I want. Les pauls are awesome and for the metal beast inside, I would love one, and hope to get one someday. But what I need for the next two years at least, is something better suited to some light jazz, blues and mostly clean, slightly OD stuff. So after playing a shitload of guitars at my local stores, the humble Strat seems to fit the bill. Now I have a budget of about $2000 AUD, give or take a few hundred, and I am wondering whether it would be a better Idea to go for a new american standard (1300-1600 AUDs) / American deluxe($1800 AUD ish) or to go for one of several near mint late 70s models that pop up on ebay AUS all the time for anywhere between 1800-2200. IS a vintage (In this case late 70's) guitar really gonna be that much better than a brand new one. I understand that a pre-CBS one would be. but they are like 10,000 here. So are 70s strats good quality? and if so, would they be a better buy than a new one.

Sorry for the massive post,
Evan
Last edited by T7E at Oct 23, 2011,
70s strats are sick, i might get a 70s reissue, try a 70s reissue at like billy hydes then if u like buy the actual vintage
CBS Strats are seen to be awful, while pre-CBS Strats are seen to be be one of the greatest guitars in the world, that said you can always find good and bad guitars in these time periods though. ALWAYS try out any vintage guitar before you buy, just because its old doesnt mean its great and thats the problem most people encounter they buy a guitar online because its "vintage" and it turns out to be crap.

Personally I'd go with a newer American Standard, it will cover all the sounds you want, plus if you buy a vintage instrument I can promise you that it will end up costing you a fair bit of money keeping it running, they are great for using on special occasions or recording, but as a guitar for practice and gigging they cant handle it without lots of TLC
No way to tell without playing them. People like the pigeonhole guitars by era saying that one year is better than the other but you can't do that. Every guitar is different and it varies case-by-case. I would just go for the American Deluxe, but that's just me.
blind test that shit. walk into a guitar store and try guitars out until you like one. age should have nothing to do with it if youre looking for performance.
I myself picked up a Fender Blackmore stratocaster in 2010. I love it so much. If you want to hear it in action here it is, want to highlight how the pickups sound in this guitar.

http://www.indabamusic.com/submissions/show/79109

I really like the 70's headstock and the SSL4 pickups are very awesome sounding as they have balls.

I recorded this solo , link above, using a Pod HD500 into Reaper DAW> If you do like my solo please give me a vote. I need to hang in there and I think what I created sounds good.

So, one guitar I would def try is the Fender Blackmore strat. It just looks dead sexy also.

thanks in advance and let us know what you decide upon.

good luck and happy strat hunting
"We lie in the Bluebells, a woodpecker laughs"
Quote by T7E
So I am contemplating a new guitar. I've been on here recently asking for some opinions on several les paul models, which has been great thanks. But recently I have come to the conclusion that what I need is a bit different to what I want. Les pauls are awesome and for the metal beast inside, I would love one, and hope to get one someday. But what I need for the next two years at least, is something better suited to some light jazz, blues and mostly clean, slightly OD stuff. So after playing a shitload of guitars at my local stores, the humble Strat seems to fit the bill. Now I have a budget of about $2000 AUD, give or take a few hundred, and I am wondering whether it would be a better Idea to go for a new american standard (1300-1600 AUDs) / American deluxe($1800 AUD ish) or to go for one of several near mint late 70s models that pop up on ebay AUS all the time for anywhere between 1800-2200. IS a vintage (In this case late 70's) guitar really gonna be that much better than a brand new one. I understand that a pre-CBS one would be. but they are like 10,000 here. So are 70s strats good quality? and if so, would they be a better buy than a new one.

Evan

Please don't waste your money buying Australia!! I live here too and recently Musician's Friend has allowed 2nd hand guitars to be shipped to Australia. It'll be tonnnnnns cheaper for the same product!
Quote by T7E

Evan

wow.

i almost don't know where to start there.

i'll just say that late 70's strats are widely considered the worst strats ever produced and les pauls are hardly metal beasts.

for what you want to play i guess either a strat or paul would work, although many or even most would take a paul over a strat in this shootout.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
70's Strats CAN be great....but you need to try them

I have a '79 that really is a great guitar....but I've tried some 70's horrors too
Quote by gregs1020
i'll just say that late 70's strats are widely considered the worst strats ever produced.

Nailed it.

CBS-era (1965-1985) strats are hardly considered "vintage" instruments, and when they are it's usually not in a good way. Especially from the late 70s/early 80s, when the quality went to shit.

In many ways, even modern Mexican Fenders are better than vintage 70s strats. In addition to consistent build quality, you see the four bolt neck plate, the RW/RP middle pickup, the end of the Bullet truss rod and of "Veneer Sunbursts," and the return of features such as the Synchronized Tremolo. However, the Classic 70s reissue alleviates many problems of vintage 70s strats, while maintaining the 70s styling and important features.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
Nailed it.

CBS-era (1965-1985) strats are hardly considered "vintage" instruments, and when they are it's usually not in a good way. Especially from the late 70s/early 80s, when the quality went to shit.

In many ways, even modern Mexican Fenders are better than vintage 70s strats. In addition to consistent build quality, you see the four bolt neck plate, the RW/RP middle pickup, the end of the Bullet truss rod and of "Veneer Sunbursts," and the return of features such as the Synchronized Tremolo. However, the Classic 70s reissue alleviates many problems of vintage 70s strats, while maintaining the 70s styling and important features.

ummm. i'm thinking that most still consider strats from 65-71 to be vintage and still fairly desirable. once they went to the 3 bolt (late 71) then things started to slip. as mentioned there are some great examples of 70s strats out there but you do have to play them to see what is good and what is mediocre or crap. check the neck pockets as this was one of the main issues. although there were quality issues it's not like every guitar was bad or even most. there were enough bad ones that people took notice but that's less than you might think.

one thing you do need to think about is the necks. older strats have the 7.25 fingerboard radius and smaler frets. some players love this others don't ( i'm a fender guy but greatly prefer the 9.5 radius and the larger frets). no reason to mess around in the vintage market if you are just looking for a good strat. plenty of newere ones are great and would be cheaper as well.
Quote by kangaxxter
Nailed it.

i never understood why vintage guitars are so expensive...is it just cus theyre cool to have?
wouldnt advances in technology lead to better build quality, and better electronics at cheaper prices?....not trying to start an argument, really just wondering

i bought a used mim strat about 2weeks ago. i freaking love it. it plays soooo nice; ive played strats that dont play as good, but this one does. sounds so good too.
im not saying its better than a vintage strat....im just saying, with some nice pups its probably pretty close(maybe a little better or worse), for a MUCH cheaper price.
Quote by davem27
i never understood why vintage guitars are so expensive...is it just cus theyre cool to have?
wouldnt advances in technology lead to better build quality, and better electronics at cheaper prices?....not trying to start an argument, really just wondering

i bought a used mim strat about 2weeks ago. i freaking love it. it plays soooo nice; ive played strats that dont play as good, but this one does. sounds so good too.
im not saying its better than a vintage strat....im just saying, with some nice pups its probably pretty close(maybe a little better or worse), for a MUCH cheaper price.

vintage guitars are cool to have. more to the point though is that there are far fewer of them around. some will tell you they made them better and they sound better some disagree. many players want the same guitar that the classic rock guitar heroes played so the value of the older ones has gone up. the brand name guitars of the 50s and 60s tended to have far more hand work involved which makes each guitar a little unique , this is the appeal of the current custom shop guitars.

certainly advances in guitar making in theory would make for better guitars. not always the case. it does make them far more consistent and kinda the same. for cheaper guitars yes they are certainly way better than the low budget crap of the past. for the higher end stuff well the arguement goes that more personal attention was given to the old guitars when they were being built. craftsmanship if you like.

both sides have their points and there really isn't a clear winner.
Quote by monwobobbo
vintage guitars are cool to have. more to the point though is that there are far fewer of them around. some will tell you they made them better and they sound better some disagree. many players want the same guitar that the classic rock guitar heroes played so the value of the older ones has gone up. the brand name guitars of the 50s and 60s tended to have far more hand work involved which makes each guitar a little unique , this is the appeal of the current custom shop guitars.

certainly advances in guitar making in theory would make for better guitars. not always the case. it does make them far more consistent and kinda the same. for cheaper guitars yes they are certainly way better than the low budget crap of the past. for the higher end stuff well the arguement goes that more personal attention was given to the old guitars when they were being built. craftsmanship if you like.

both sides have their points and there really isn't a clear winner.

ahh cool makes sense, thanks. if i had vasts amount of money left over, id def buy a vintage strat or LP....but for now, im loving my MIM which sounds great, and plays even better.....with a pickup change in the future, i could see this guitar lasting me years...other than better pups, any other strat i would get wouldnt seem much of an upgrade.

As to the OP: i really think you should buy a guitar you can play before hand....ive played some crappy mims, but i love mine...thats with all guitars...
id lean towards an american standard if i were you. play the hell out of it for 30 years and by then it'll be vintage
Like with all second hand gear, the only way to tell if a guitar is worth buying is to go and try it out. If you find one that suits you, grab it. If not, move on.
thanks guys. So there is a brand in Aus called COLE CLARK that makes strat style guitars in melbourne handmade for like 1800. gettin a hollowbody strat made by them called a Hollow baby. Best option I found out. It has the 12 inch radius of a paul, a FULL hollow body and a strat style body with 3 duncan single coils. I have one of their acoustics already, a truly well made istrument. will post NGD when it happens