Oi

I use palm and thumb muting, but palm muting has never been comfortable for me.

It got to the point where it hurts a little and for the last 3 weeks ive experimented with many different postures for around 200 hours and it never feels comfortable.
It doesnt matter how relaxed i play or how i angle the neck, what height i choose for the strap, wether i sit or stand, it just never feels comfortable enough to me.

So I have decided im gonna stick to thumb muting.
-NO PLAY RELAXED/WEIRD ANGLE SUGGESTIONS PLS :P
im sticking to thumb muting because it feels right. -

Any of you guys are using thumb mutig instead of palm muting?
Are there any good tutorials out there?
Any tips?
Theres not much information about it since palm muting is the most popular technique.

Thanks
Last edited by Slashiepie at Oct 23, 2011,
I'm so confuzzled. The two types of muting don't overlap for me. I used thumb muting to mute the lower strings when i'm chords and stuff. Palm muting comes in when i'm doing scales.
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
Quote by Lennon993
I'm so confuzzled. The two types of muting don't overlap for me. I used thumb muting to mute the lower strings when i'm chords and stuff. Palm muting comes in when i'm doing scales.

hhh I was doing the opposite, muting chords with my palm and muting scales with my thumb.
Was confuzzled as to what to do with arpeggios and decided to stick with thumb :P

Edit: NVM you mean the fretting hand thumb.
I mean the picking hand thumb.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Oct 23, 2011,
Quote by Slashiepie
hhh I was doing the opposite, muting chords with my palm and muting scales with my thumb.
Was confuzzled as to what to do with arpeggios and decided to stick with thumb :P

Edit: NVM you mean the fretting hand thumb.
I mean the picking hand thumb.

I use both for the picking hand really. The way I hold my pick, the thumb always leans of the lower string anyway while the palm cleans up the rest of the lower strings. I try to have both the picking thumb and palm muting the string lower than the one I am playing though, as a safe keep.
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Thanks, maybe a combination could be a better approach.
Will keep trying :P

i guess there are not many thumb muters around