Hi again,

I purchased a Vintage V100GT recently (for those who don't know, it's a Gold top Les Paul copy) and I've been struggling with it for about a month now. I had a problem with my machine heads, every time I played an open string I got this horrible rattling noise coming from the machine heads. I checked everything (truss rod, loose hardware etc) but to no avail. I took it to my guitar tech and he told me it was the machine heads that needed replacing, so I went ahead and contacted JHS and they sent me some replacements. They worked brilliant for a few hours, but then the rattling just came back again! I know for certain that it's the machine heads that are doing this and nothing else. This is the email I received from JHS.

"Thanks for purchasing the V100GT. The problem with your machine head stems from the tulip button, they are rattling against the post of the machine head. There is a fix, you can apply thin superglue to the post, just under the button. The superglue will suck up into the button, this remedies the rattle. Alternatively I will be happy to send you some replacement machine heads. Please e-mail me your postal address and I will send some on to you."

So I went ahead and tried the superglue method, didn't really help much so I'm looking for some new tuners. I hear the rattling often occurs with plastic machine heads (tulip style) so I'm looking for some chrome metal ones, seeing as they are heavier, bulkier and won't come loose like the plastic ones. I found these ones which look pretty decent...

http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/3_Aside_Metal_%22Butterbean%22_Button_Tuners_SD9005MN

Would these work with my guitar? Would I have to drill any more holes in the headstock to make them fit?

Thanks in advance! :-)
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

They'll probably work, but you might need to consider a slight difference in size. Gibson tuners (those look like the Klusons) are in inch=pattern, while your Vintage guitar may use parts that are in metric pattern. If so, there might be a slight difference. If they're a bit smaller in shaft diameter, it won't matter. But if they're a bit larger, then you might have to enlarge the holes in the headstock.

Then there is the issue of the mounting screws. If they line up with the screw holes in your headstock, fine. If not, you'll have to drill little holes for the screws.

All in all, they'll probably work. Personally, I'd go for something other than those Gibsons unless they look just like what you've already got. Sperzels or Gotohs are excellent choices, and the Planet Waves are good, too.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Thank you for the information! I might just go for the plastic tulip style to save myself from damaging the guitar with my poor workmanship skills. Thanks again! :-)
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

After doing some research, it appears the V100 comes stock with Wilkinson WJ-44-3N tuners.

Wilkinson vintage style nickel tuners with ivoroid keystone button. Each tuner back is stamped "WILKINSON DELUXE". Requires 11/32"(8.75mm) peghead holes. Mounting screws are spaced 15/16"(24mm) on center. Slotted 6mm string posts. Includes press-in bushings and mounting screws.
Quote by Pac_man0123
After doing some research, it appears the V100 comes stock with Wilkinson WJ-44-3N tuners.

They do indeed. The first set I had on the guitar (stock ones) rattled like crazy, so JHS sent me a replacement set. They rattle too so I'm not very happy. I'm just going to buy a new higher quality set.
Quote by Jason

Hehe.

don't get Gibson tuners, they are just rebranded Grovers and Kluson tuners FYI at a sunifigant price increase because they say Gibson.

You'll need a 10mm drill bit to reem the back of the head stocktock to fit ALL MOST ALL good aftermarket tuners like Grover, Gotoh, Schaller, ect... You do not want to go all the way through the head stock, but stop about 2-3mm before going through the top.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate