I just restrung my guitar last night and I'm already really keen to play songs with alternative tunings. I'm worried that I'll jump the gun and snap a string by tuning down or up ( mostly down in my case) how long should I wait before I try alternative tuning? usually I mostly only tune down to DADFAD or DGDGED...
If it's any help adding that I've played the string's in now ( they stay in tune when I play)
help please?
cheers,
Pengelly
You won't snap any strings tuning down so just go for it, if you tune up just turn the pegs slowly. You don't need to "wait" either, you could have just tuned the strings straight to your alternate tuning when you put them on. Hope that helps
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by turtlewax
You won't snap any strings tuning down so just go for it, if you tune up just turn the pegs slowly. You don't need to "wait" either, you could have just tuned the strings straight to your alternate tuning when you put them on. Hope that helps

right thank you for answering! this helps a lot
I use a lot of Alt tunings and I've got my own little tactic to deal with this.

I keep the strings in standard for a week after restringing, and then down tune to alt tunings. If I want to tune up any strings, I'll do it over a long period of time, like 30 mins, for 2 weeks or so.

After 2-3 weeks, I just retune normally. By then the strings are 'stretched' and can take being retuned.
Fuck the system - Use non-standard tunings!

"Now the guitar is no more than a cowbell, so easy to play, that there is no stable lad who is not a musician on the guitar" Inquisitor Covarrubias 1611