Hey, new to the forum to ask about my amp really.
I have a 6260 head and I feel the sound is deeply underwhelming for what it should be.
I've had it for maybe over a year purchased off ebay in good condition, but I think even from then it was lacking but didn't think into it too much. There just seems to be no gain, can't seem to coax any good metal tone out of it. always seem to be getting a weak crunch like tone on various metal settings.

Ive tried putting an od pedal infront of it which did improve it somewhat but would love to get a nice tone straight out.
It's not guitar related, tried a few different ones, get same result
Im running through a random cab with 2X12 celestion vintage 30's.
I dont turn it up past sort of 2-3 but this shouldn't be a problem judging by random youtube vids.

Would a tube swap help ? they are stock tubes and presumably been in there for years.
I also took 2 of the 4 tubes out to try and cut the volume abit.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
Try changing the tubes, if theyve been in there for years they probably need changing should make a bit difference. have you noticed a drop in volume over the time youve had it aswell?
Hmm don't think so, still hellishly loud. What would that indicate if there was a drop in volume?
Also what tubes would you recommend for high gain metal?
Okay , should I replace both the preamp and power valves?
If so could someone recommend a good combination, as ive just been on google looking good sets but just become overwhelmed by the amount of suggestions.
Chinese power tubes are actually not bad. Replace the preamp valves. I'd go with JJ's if you don't want to look for NOS tubes you can afford.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
When replacing the preamp tubes , do you need the whole set? for instance my amp has 5 preamp tubes and 4 power tubes. I took out 2 of the power tubes for lower volume. Is it possible to have less preamp valves aswell?
Quote by Cathbard
Chinese power tubes are actually not bad. Replace the preamp valves. I'd go with JJ's if you don't want to look for NOS tubes you can afford.

+1 for the JJs I use JJs and its quite good actually.
Quote by Rabidchiwowa
When replacing the preamp tubes , do you need the whole set? for instance my amp has 5 preamp tubes and 4 power tubes. I took out 2 of the power tubes for lower volume. Is it possible to have less preamp valves aswell?

No. You need them all but you can just change one at a time, try them in different positions. Whatever takes your fancy but every position needs to be filled.
If you took out two power tubes turn the impedance selector down one notch.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Okay ive had little look around and a good jj combo seem's to be JJ 6L6GC and JJ ECC83 , can anyone tell me if it is ?

Also Cathbard you say you can have the preamp tubes in different positions, does that mean that there aren't specific types of preamp tubes for each slot? if that makes any sense lol
What I mean is, the slots in my amp are named: 12ax7A-12ax7B-12a7C/B respectively which I thought would of been so you don't go sticking the wrong preamp model in there or something. SO I can go buy a set of say 5 JJ ECC83 and not be worried about which slot I stick each one in ?
Yes any 12ax7 will work in those slots. I actualy have a coctail of Mesa and JJ preamps in my Bugera 333. Sounds way better than the stock tubes
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You can stick any 12AX7 in any slot. They recommend that the phase inverter be a balanced tube but it doesn't really matter as long as they aren't too unbalanced because the circuitry around the tube is never perfectly balanced anyway. You just swap them around until you get the best sound. If they are all the same type (like all JJ ECC83S) then you may notice a difference between them in the phase inverter but that's all. The difference in other positions will be negligible.
In my main amp (the Abbey) I have a mixture of several different brand NOS 12AX7's from all over the world. I just tried different ones from my collection in different spots until I got the best combination.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ahhh I see , thanks guys. One last question and I think i'll be okay then :p
There's the problem with biasing (Sp?) apparently you have to bias (dont even know what this means) some amps when switching out tubes , does the bugera 6260 have this problem?
Yes you will need to have it Biased for power tubes, but Pre-amp tubes are plug and play.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate