So i have been practicing scales quite alot lately, specefically the pentatonic scales. I am also practicing the C major scale in different modes. I can play the different positions of pentatonic scales at about 190 bpm with alternate picking and it sounds clean as well. My teacher has said that he will teach me guitar solos within the next few months.

Exactly how fast am i supposed to play these scales? I dont have any interest in shredding, i am a blues-rock guy but should i try to play them even faster?
practice scales at a constant speed, and the quickness shall come naturally.
Quote by diminishedtobme
I think the male ones have dicks, Im not sure though.

Quote by tgregory2010
ah screw you lol

You're not really supposed to "play scales" at all, they're tools for creating music - worrying about how fast you can play them is pointless, doesn't serve any useful purpose when it comes to getting better at playing the guitar.

Learn how the scales work musically, learn the sounds they contain, learn where to find them on the fretboard and ultimately learn how to use them to create music...don't concern yourself with how fast oyu can play them though, because it simply doesn't matter.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Speed will come naturally. The important thing atm is to understand how the different intervals react with the root.

Try playing a little outside the pentatic box and see what happens, you might strike upon some Dorian goodness
Quote by tappooh
190 bpm what? triplets, 16th notes, 32nd??

Singles
You're not really supposed to "play scales" at all, they're tools for creating music - worrying about how fast you can play them is pointless, doesn't serve any useful purpose when it comes to getting better at playing the guitar.

I respectfully disagree with part of this... but I think it's more semantics than anything

Playing scales is an important part of getting better at playing the guitar, especially when it comes to improvisation. One method that I use for learning licks in one scale or another is to play the scale and learn it inside and out, then put the notes of that scale into a melody. I use Jamtrax to do this, and it works ok for me. But, I agree with you're other point that using scales AS the licks and runs is kinda boreing.

As far as how fast you should play them? As fast as you can play them accurately. learning scales is about learning the notes... Accuracy is more important than speed.

JMHO
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Oct 23, 2011,
Quote by hhhhdmt
So i have been practicing scales quite alot lately, specefically the pentatonic scales. I am also practicing the C major scale in different modes. I can play the different positions of pentatonic scales at about 190 bpm with alternate picking and it sounds clean as well. My teacher has said that he will teach me guitar solos within the next few months.

Exactly how fast am i supposed to play these scales? I dont have any interest in shredding, i am a blues-rock guy but should i try to play them even faster?

He's got you playing scales at 190 bpm but not taught you how to solo on pentatonics - hmm, interesting. Suggest you try out another teacher before he turns you into a robot.

Try here

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BL-013-BluesLicks1.php
Last edited by PSimonR at Oct 23, 2011,
You'll be wasting your time trying to play scales fast. It does add to speed but that's it. Why don't you get a fast solo, and slow it down then keep building up speed? That'll do much more for you than running up and down scales. Plus, it'll give you something to aim for. It'll help with phrasing, speed, runs, technique and you woulda learn an impressive solo by the end of it. Play scales for hours on end and what have you got? A bit more speed and a bit more confidence in the scale. Scales aren't hard to memorize anyway.
Dude, play at least 8th notes (2 notes per beat), otherwise no metronome will go fast enough for you!

You should play scale/exercises as fast as you can while maintaining clarity.
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.