Hey

I am looking for a second hand 80's and early 90's guitar for shred metal.

As I understand it; Charvel models 4-5 / Fender HM Strat..... are the top end type brands for metal/shred for that period.

What I want to know is how do they compare (in terms of build/playing quality) to other 80's brands of shred guitar like; Kramer baretta & strikers, Ibanez Roadstars & Sabres, BC Rich Gunslingers?

I have not seen many of those sold online yet and I have no idea how they compare in quality. I really need like a magazine price list and reviews for common shred brands from that period.

Thoughts appreciated.
The Fender HM Strat was a very good guitar; sort of a Jackson-esque Fender. The Charvels from the 1980s ran the gamut from decent (imports) to excellent (the U.S.A.-made guitars). Charvel was owned by Jackson at that time, and most of the high-end efforts went into the Jackson guitars. Ibanez Roadsters were decent; some people liked them a lot but I wouldn't consider them shred guitars. The Japanese versions were particularly good, but they weren't true shredders. That's what the RG series was meant to be.

U.S.A.-made Kramers were very popular with 1980s shred guitarists for a while. They were the first widely available guitars to come with a Floyd Rose tremolo and they were endorsed by Van Halen at the height of his popularity. The import Kramers weren't nearly as good. I can't speak for the recent Kramer reincarnations from Gibson. I can't speak for the B.C. Rich, either. The original B.C. Rich wildbodies like the Mockingbird and the Eagle were great in every respect, though. And if you can find a Hamer U.S.A. Chaparral Custom; grab it. That was a fantastic guitar; one I'm sorry I never got a chance to own.

In short, there were a lot of good guitars in the 1980s and some OK ones, too.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
...Charvel was owned by Jackson at that time...

They were, always have been, and are still, the same company.

Jackson/Charvel Manufacturing Incorporated.

Grover Jackson bought Charvel from Wayne Charvel in the late 70's. When he was working with Randy Rhoads on his new offset V, Grover was worried that regular Charvel customers might not like the radical new design, so he stuck his own name on the headstock instead. Ever since then, it's been one company with two brands.
True, but Charvel was originally a custom shop owned by Wayne Charvel with Jackson working for him, so it was not always one brand. In fact, the old Charvel shop was less than ten miles from where I am right now.

Ah, the good old days...
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I tried out 80s shred guitars for 6 months before deciding on the Fender HM Strat. Tried out Kramers, Ibanez RGs, Yamaha super strats, a couple Lados but found that the HM Strat had the best feel for me. It has a pretty awesome neck. The only issue with the HM Strat has been the Kahler Spyder bridge. The problems didn't show up for quite a few years. They used some pretty damned soft metal and many of the hex bolt heads on its parts started to get stripped.

I had good friends buy an American Strat and an Ibanez RG and neither of those could ever keep up with the HM. If I could have my choice of those older guitars, I'd have one of the HM Strats with OFRs that were available in the early 90s.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
the 80s were my band years and of course we all wanted to be shred kings . back then Kramer and Charvel ruled and later Ibanez. the roadstar guitars were nice but you would be better of with early RG series or S series guitars for shred. i played a Kramer Pacer (first guy in town with one and of course with that new fangled floyd rose). later i got a baretta and finally a charvel model 2. the fender was never really a contender though a nice guitar. BC Rich was also popular especially the affordable NJ series. the early ones were fairly nice but they got crappier as time went by.
Quote by monwobobbo
the 80s were my band years and of course we all wanted to be shred kings . back then Kramer and Charvel ruled and later Ibanez. the roadstar guitars were nice but you would be better of with early RG series or S series guitars for shred. i played a Kramer Pacer (first guy in town with one and of course with that new fangled floyd rose). later i got a baretta and finally a charvel model 2. the fender was never really a contender though a nice guitar. BC Rich was also popular especially the affordable NJ series. the early ones were fairly nice but they got crappier as time went by.

This.

The roadstar series was pretty much just a strat copy with the Ibanez twists, it wasn't until later in the 80s when the RG series came out and had thinner necks and the Edge tremolo.

I'd say if you want an amazing shred guitar, go with an RG, they are cheap, everywhere, and work damn well.