Alright, when playing chords with the Added 9th do you add a 9th ABOVE a chord or add the 9th of the key?

For example if we were in Cmaj would a AminAdd 9 be A, C, E, D or A, C, E, B? (Hopefully I wrote that right)
Last edited by schism8 at Oct 23, 2011,
to the chord. B.
Pamposh’s final question before drifting into a state of transcendent ecstasy was, “But Master, if everything is an illusion, then why does anything matter?”

To which the master replied, “It may all be an illusion, but it’s a very real illusion.”
Cadd9 = chord with 9th note of the scale.
[x 3 2 0 3 3] (x C E G D G)
The 8th (octave) is switched out.

AminAdd9
[x 0 2 4 1 0] (x A E B C E)
In this position you can't play the first 3rd, but it's just an example. (I'm guessing your talking about guitar and not piano.)
an add9 chord is the 9th of the chord, not the key. any # in the context of a chord name is referring to that interval of the chord, not key.
If in Cmaj you wanted to take your E chord and make it an add9 (E G B F) what does it become? EminAdd9 or EminAddb9?
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
Quote by engineno9
If in Cmaj you wanted to take your E chord and make it an add9 (E G B F) what does it become? EminAdd9 or EminAddb9?

Depending on context, G7/E, Em/F or G13.

-7-3-
-6-5-5
-7-4-4
---3-3
-----
-0---3
Are you offering that as an alternative to eminadd9 or as the more right answer?
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
Well it's both really. When labeling chords, I always think what the easiest way would be to interpret it, like on a chord chart at a gig. Especially if I'm writing for someone else.

For example, if I wanted to throw in a chord like A13sus4, I'd break it down and analyze the notes. The alternative as you mentioned would be Gmaj7/A.

It's just my way of thinking.