I'm fixing up guitar from 1974, used a bit, and found in a basement (Yamaha SG200)
When I found it, it was dirty, with horrible fret buzz.
I'm going to get a new nut and the frets dressed (I'm using some super high gauge strings for the moment, to get rid of this buzz, but it's far from ideal) and set it up myself.

However, the g string is being weird, for lack of a better word.
It's hard to even describe the problem, but here goes:

If I pluck an open B say, on clean, the note is quite clear (as clear as it can be on my utterly crap amp) however, if I pluck the G string (it's un-wound) it rings `clearly` but there's another sound accompanying it, like a metallic buzz- but it's not string buzz, it seems to be coming from the bridge, or possibly the bridge pickup (unlikely) I'v had a look at the bridge, and nothing seems to be wrong with it- if I put the distortion on, and play on the 12th fret or so, on the G string- it's very obviously not as smooth as the other strings, it's like somethings rattling, and affecting how the note sounds...

I hope this made some sense, to someone, I know it's not the strings at fault, as I'v changed them a few times.

I'm thinking of dismantling the bridge, and making sure everything is tightened, but I'm not that keen to do so.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Litteraly the worst one on the market- I'v not been playing long, and will be getting a Vox VT20+ around Christmas- currently it's a (borrowed) Stagg CA-10... I'm ashamed to admit.
I'm 99% sure it's not the amp doing this though, as I'v tuned the G string to different things, to ensure it's not this specific frequency, buzz remains!
If you get a samilar guitar like me, there is springs in your guitar.
They make a reverb-like sound when you strum or pick loudly.
It's normal, but can be quite annoying if the pickups sends the noise into the amp, but you can put sponge pieces in the inside of the spirings so they don't get so noisy.
There is videos at youtube showing how to do it.
Quote by JB95
If you get a samilar guitar like me, there is springs in your guitar.
They make a reverb-like sound when you strum or pick loudly.
It's normal, but can be quite annoying if the pickups sends the noise into the amp, but you can put sponge pieces in the inside of the spirings so they don't get so noisy.
There is videos at youtube showing how to do it.

a piece of foam does the trick
I can here it when the amps off as well- so it's not that- and as far as I'm aware, there are no springs- the neck is one piece with the body, and I'v had a look inside, no springs to be found- it's a les paul style guitar.
I'v been doing some `poking` and plucking open strings while prodding different bits of the bridge with a small Allen key- it seems the noise is coming from the bit of the bridge where the `balls` at the ends of the strings sit.