Alright, consider this:

n00b: "Which is the best DAW?"
Xpert: "Well no DAW is the BEST, it's just what fits your needs! You should choose the one which suits you and your individual personality!!
n00b"Oh, thx.. (gee what a load of bullshit)"

That's how I feel everytime I ask that.
I know you can't say choose Cubase over Pro Tools, but people, come on...

Which DAW should one start with? How does one learn the basics?

I want to make music from NIN and Thom Yorke to drum n bass mixes a la Deadmau5/Tiesto. All I need is a little guidance.
Thanks.
What you want may be Ableton Live. I think it's like the standard for electro-like music production.
Ableton Live is good. Have a look at Reason 5 or 6 also.

If you have a Mac Logic Pro is really good, comes with lots of sounds and loops. One of the best DAW's i've ever used.
Quote by ingames
No Mac. PC User.

Also, what does "have a look" mean? These programs are MASSIVE, I don't have the time to try all of them.
I mean, I've tried Reaper, and only after the first few days have I began to get a hint of what's going on.

are you saying reaper was too confusing? because if so, i'd definitely say work with it until you can use it, because in my opinion its about as easy to use as you can get compared to all the high end DAW's like cubase and protools.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
SONAR works fine for me.
Cubase should be good too, used that for a little while. Only had a pretty old version of it though.
Usually, I'd say go with Pro Tools to start you out, because once you know Pro Tools, you pretty much know everything, but transitioning from something else can be difficult. However, with the fiasco of Pro Tools 10 being released this week, I'd hold off and see if Avid is going to make good with their customers, or if they're going to give them the cold shoulder, because this could very well determine whether Pro Tools remains the "Standard" from here on out.

Aside from PT, for more electronic music, Reason is probably the most widely used. If you want a simple to learn DAW, FL Studio is pretty cool as well.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I love FL but only learn it if your going to not use other DAWs. Once you get in depth with some FL stuff it's a bit diff from Cubase and Reaper some people struggle with that. Although FL has the capabilities as the rest of the DAWs it's a different approach.

For what you want to do you are going to want either Alberon or FL as for electronic stuff you will need a sampler. After using FL for 4 or 5 years I couldn't get into Albeton I don't like the interface or how it's set up.

A good alternative to those two (and I recommended to most users) is Cubase or Reaper they are similar. Very similar I use to use Cubase. And have some experience with Reaper they are set up like typical DAWs you will just need a sampler VST probably. Also you can try out Stuido 1 I haven't tried it.

As for VSTs and VSTis if you plan on running a ton haves good computer. It's not on usual for me to be running about 3GB of RAM per session cause of VSTs (down side of FL is it seems to not like more than 3GB RAM sessions)

To be honest each DAW is personal preference. We don't know how you work best and what you prefer. There is no best DAW anymore it's about your workflow. Personally after using Cubase for a while I moved to FL and never plan on going back to anything else (although I occasionally play with Reaper to keep me fresh for when people seen me Reaper projects to mix). Anyone who tells you there is a "best" DAW hasn't gone in depth enough with various DAWs to see how similar they all really are. Their just different approaches.

For electronic though Albeton and FL Studio both serve to the electronic users very much with great sampler and piano rolls.

Also if you need VST/VSTi recommendations hit me up I could go on for days on those I have a ton, and use more than the average person per session as I do ALOT of sound manipulation.
Last edited by FireHawk at Oct 23, 2011,
Studio One is really cool and in V2 they added some great features. It's probably the cheapest professional DAW out there (besides Reaper) and unlike most of the others, the built in plugins are AWESOME and very easy to understand and use.

It also comes with 18 GB of samples and loops geared towards more electronic music, so it's also a good choice. S1 also has a built in mastering suite, like Steinberg's WaveLab. Pretty cool stuff... I use Reaper and PT9 mostly, but I've had S1 for a while and just upgraded to V2. I'm trying to transition to it because I really like the layout, it's just a bit confusing coming from Reaper. Unless Avid ends up repairing the bridges they've burned with their customers by releasing PT10, I'll probably make S1 or Cubase my main DAW.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I want to try out Studio One. Last I heard it didn't support VST/VSTis is that still true? If not I want to give it a whirl. (Downloading Demo now).
Last edited by FireHawk at Oct 23, 2011,
Quote by FireHawk
I want to try out Studio One. Last I heard it didn't support VST/VSTis is that still true? If not I want to give it a whirl. (Downloading Demo now).

Studio One Pro has always supported VST/VSTi, it's the Artist edition that doesn't.

Evenso, when I had Artist, the plugins in there alone were worth the $30 I paid for it. All the bigger name DAWs have pretty weak built in Reverbs and it's hard to find a good paid program for a decent price... The reverb in S1 has really surprised me. Even if you don't use the program for mixing, if you don't have a bunch of higher end plugins, the Artist version is worth buying just to process and bounce tracks from it to your main DAW

For someone just starting out, the presets in S1 actually sound good. Obviously, they need some tweaking to really get there, but for someone who doesn't know what they're doing, you could record a track into S1, load a preset and have a surprisingly good sound in about 2 minutes
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 23, 2011,
Both NIN and Deadmau5 use Ableton Live. Majority of electronic musicians/DJs use it because of its live performance capabilities. And by live performance, I don't mean just pressing the play button on a finished track. Ableton Live's session view allows you to switch up patterns for any instrument track at any time instantly and continue to stay on tempo.

I think this video is a good example of how it's used as a live performance tool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTx3G6h2xyA

What's also neat is how that whole performance can just be recorded in one play-thru and immediately be exported.

You can also use the program to DJ.
Quote by ingames
Alright, consider this:

n00b: "Which is the best DAW?"
Xpert: "Well no DAW is the BEST, it's just what fits your needs! You should choose the one which suits you and your individual personality!!
n00b"Oh, thx.. (gee what a load of bullshit)"

That's how I feel everytime I ask that.
I know you can't say choose Cubase over Pro Tools, but people, come on...

Which DAW should one start with? How does one learn the basics?

I want to make music from NIN and Thom Yorke to drum n bass mixes a la Deadmau5/Tiesto. All I need is a little guidance.
Thanks.

That's because there is no 'best DAW', it really is all preference/opinion...

Try a few out and see what you like and want in a DAW - that's the only definite advice anyone can give, other than pointing out that most DAWs are pretty similar now and while Cubase, Live and Logic all started as MIDI sequencers and developed into modern DAWs and Pro Tools started at the other end as a recording program and worked towards composing-functionality.

Quote by MatrixClaw
All the bigger name DAWs have pretty weak built in Reverbs and it's hard to find a good paid program for a decent price...

I beg to differ, Logic's Space Designer is a fantastic convolution reverb
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Oct 23, 2011,
Depends.

I use multiple, but at the moment I use reaper, because it accepts almost any plugin type easily: VST's, AU, Javascript etc. which I had a particular need for.

Though it's set up more as a mixing/mastering unit, but you can hook up other daws to it.

Reason/Reaper combination is nice for electronic music.

^^
Reverb sucks mostly because it's digitally modeled. Convolution reverb works nice because of the way it approaches modeling reverb.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Oct 23, 2011,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
I beg to differ, Logic's Space Designer is a fantastic convolution reverb

Well, I don't have a Mac, cause they're expensive as **** I do really like Logic though.

FWIW, S1 V2 has a new convolution reverb plugin as well
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
You want to make cpu based music. So you need midi.

Personal I'd good with ableton or logic seeing your pc I'd go ableton

Protools, Reaper etc. are all audio based programs focusing audio editing and manipulation of audio kind of like a tape machine but digital. While they do have midi they are not really designed around that as a "music production tool"

Ableton and Logic both have great midi integration. My personal preference is for ableton. But this is the program I really have spent time exploring and I'm pretty much in love with the loop page it's amazing for quickly testing out idea and combination of parts and sequences. Does have it's draw backs though. I've found the bounce down into from 24 to 16 is a bit shit. But this is a small price to pay.

Cubase also awesome. I'd don't use cubase. So I'm not going to talk about it.
I don't love fruity loops but that's just me. I know others who swear by it.

What about reason 5 or 6? It's a close system. It's mean you can't use third party software just the internal plugin. Great plug ins but if you want to be able to use your own combination of external software that's off the cards.

I know when someone says "it's up to you" it's frustrating as a beginning because you want to start on the right foot. The thing is it's like a guitar. Beyond a point it's pretty much personal preference and how you like to construct material in your head. Loop based vs linear arrangement etc.

My advice download a trial of ableton and cubase and try them out. You'll know are a couple weeks which you like in term of writing from there. if you want more linear, try fruity and reason if you like the loop based application of ableton run with that.

I've spent about five years in music production so any question feel free to ask. I try and guide you as much as possible.
Last edited by Wild Hopkins at Oct 23, 2011,
I think you should use Ableton. It's really simple and neat program that's easy to use and have great result. Great for electronic music and for sampling.

it also can be use in live performance , so if that your thing, you might wanna take that in consideration.

There is Also Reason which is pretty cool, but no VST integration so you're stuck with they're synth. But the Software itself is very stable and pretty unique. It's very good to learn I guess.

And then There is Cubase I would recommend for a more ''professional'' option. I always found that program to be very hard to use but many people swear by it. I think it's the best option for Midi tho.
Get Ableton. Trust me. The sound libraries are endless and new packs are released for free, constantly. Not to mention it does great for strictly audio recording and normal mixing and such as well.

It takes a while to get used to it, but once you do, it's a breeze to work with. Also, with youtube and the plugins and sounds that come with it, you can learn how to dubstep well within a few weeks if you put the time in. The Drum Kit instrument is still my favorite thing about it though. It will have everything you want and more. Tons of leads, bass beats, etc. And some very good tools for mixing more traditional music as well.
I never liked Ableton... course I don't use Midi (guitar player) - I use Reaper, Sonar and Logic Studio 9 on my Mac . Ableton just looked odd to me.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by strangedogs
Ableton just looked odd to me.

I think it's the fact that when you open it up, it starts tself in Session view, which probably freaks a lot of people out. A simple click of the Tab button or just clicking the button with 3 horizontal lines at the top right part of the screen gets you to Arrangement view which is what every other DAW looks like. You can record your music in either view. Session view is useful mostly to electronic artists since that's more of a loop based method of recording.
This might sound weird but I found pro tools the easiest to work with. So imo I say go pt. If u end up wanting to bring your stuff into a pro studio there's a 90% chance they're running pt so it makes it easy to share your projects etc etc. Hope this helps. My second favorite daw is studio one pro.
USA Jackson RR1, Carvin Custom 7 String, Peavey 6505+, Krank Krankenstein Cabinet, Carvin Power Conditioner, Line 6 G 90 Wireless, BBE Sonic Maximizer, Full tone OCD Overdrive, ISP Decimator, Boss TU 2 Tuner