i have a fender frontman 212r. should i keep it as a 212 combo or make it a separate head and cab?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by IronMaiden76
i have a fender frontman 212r. should i keep it as a 212 combo or make it a separate head and cab?

What do you mean make it?

Sell your combo and try get head & cab?
what ever you want? I wouldn't waist the time on separating it though.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Kind of a personal preference question...

I'd personally keep it as a combo, and if you absolutely had to, change the speakers out... but, thats only so you won't have to pick up 2 seperate pieces of equipment. You just want it to look cool don't ya?...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
Kind of a personal preference question...

I'd personally keep it as a combo, and if you absolutely had to, change the speakers out... but, thats only so you won't have to pick up 2 seperate pieces of equipment. You just want it to look cool don't ya?...

+1

I see no reason to separating them, there's not really anything to gain.
it has nothing to do with looks. i have a b-52 and i don't know if i should separate the combo so i can give my uncle his cab back, i guess i shoulda mentioned that before
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

then build a cab!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i have $3 saved up...
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Quote by IronMaiden76
i have $3 saved up...

Build a real shitty cab...?
Not pertaining to your specific case, but head and cab is always a better choice than a combo.

Now pertaining to your case, I wouldn't separate them. That would make the Frontman next to impossible to sell.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Now pertaining to your case, I wouldn't separate them. That would make the Frontman next to impossible to sell.

+1

it's worth something now.. ya go hackin' it up, and well... you have a hacked up amp that you may like, but when it's time to upgrade or what ever, you will have a hard time selling it..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Oct 23, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
...but head and cab is always a better choice than a combo.

I detect a lack of logic.
Quote by Sputnik1
I detect a lack of logic.

It is my opinion, of course. But... I value my back and my spine. I have a 5150 212. After owning this amp, I can say with absolute confidence that I will never buy a 212 combo again. I would happily lug around two 45 lb pieces than one 90 lb combo. My half stack is so much more easy to transport than my 5150, that it's not even funny.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
It is my opinion, of course. But... I value my back and my spine. I have a 5150 212. After owning this amp, I can say with absolute confidence that I will never buy a 212 combo again. I would happily lug around two 45 lb pieces than one 90 lb combo. My half stack is so much more easy to transport than my 5150, that it's not even funny.

Transportation definitely. Nothing else. I have a XXX combo and yes its a biatch.
Why don't you, if you're not using the Frontman as an amp, just take the amp part out of the shell and not do any actual modifications and just plug into the speakers. Then if you'll be selling it you can just stick the frontman bit of it back in there, not harm done.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I just thought he could take the amp out for weight reasons, but yeah 311's right.

I wish I could type properly...
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Last edited by SimplyBen at Oct 23, 2011,
no worries, people fat finger my name all the time

honestly, I don't think the amp part weighs that much. From what I remember the amp weighs about 45-50 lbs. Most of that was the speakers and the cabinet itself I'm guessing.
Well, assuming the tone change from a closed back to an open back isn't a big deal, I prefer combos. Open backs seems to fill up small unmiced venues better, and IMO it's easier to transport. You can fir a 2x12 combo in a freaking Geo for God's sake. Probably have enough room left for your guitar too.

Try that with a half stack.
You could just get an open back 212 cab if you wanted to. Just because it takes up less space doesn't mean it's easier to transport. If anything, I'd say that makes it objectively harder to carry. More weight condensed into less space, instead of less weight spread out over more space.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
You could just get an open back 212 cab if you wanted to. Just because it takes up less space doesn't mean it's easier to transport. If anything, I'd say that makes it objectively harder to carry. More weight condensed into less space, instead of less weight spread out over more space.

Thats why my Fender Twin (and it's a heavy amp) is on wheels...

and I added wheels to my 2x12 cabinet as well...

only heavy for a short time.. then it rolls right along...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
All I know is I can carry 150 lbs of sand or donut mix or whatever. I don't know if I could carry 20 lbs of foam.
lol donut mix? im sorry but thats oddlly funny cause of its randomness? haha

now to add to the thread- i wouldnt split the frontman, id just wire it so you could easily change between your head and the combo. i cant imagine the guts of the frontman being to heavy because its solid state.
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
it is pretty heavy actually. i think i'm gonna leave it the way it is and maybe save up for a decent cab.. till then i'll just borrow my uncle's cab
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699