Page 1 of 2
Have any of you done this/know of people who have done this? Would your university professors even care if they found out?

For example, if someone doesn't have the time to do the work load for a course but is interested in the subject can he easily sneak into the classes? Maybe the don't have the prerequisites neccessary to enter the class either.

Or if they don't have the money, but are interested and sneak into the courses, would it be hard to do. Is it ethical?

I might do this for the winter semester with a few courses, think I should just go into the class like I belong there or talk to the teacher and see if he/she minds?
IF the lector doesn't keep track of who visites and who doesn't, easy.

If he does, he'll kick you out.
You could do it easily where I go to uni. Well for lectures at least, not for the tutorials.
I'm pretty good at sneaking out of lectures, but the opposite? Hmm...
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
I go to community college. I was thinking about sneaking into some of the lectures there. But there is also a university not far from me, if I found out the schedule of the classes and it is a large enough lecture hall with open seats, I might try it out. Of course there I couldn't tell anyone I didn't even go to that university because I don't think they would be very fond of that.
Quote by Zeletros
IF the lector doesn't keep track of who visites and who doesn't, easy.

If he does, he'll kick you out.

I'm gonna have to get a feel for some of the teachers, cus some professors I know I don't think would mind as long as there are open seats.
At my uni, we generally have large lectures where the prof couldn't give less of a shit. However, we have small discussion sections that usually have attendance taken and stuff. Worst thing that could happen if you sneak in is you could just say you were confused and ended up in the wrong room
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
At my uni they do a register in tutorials/workshops, but no in lectures. Anyone could walk into a lecture.
I go to a community college and there's no way that would work. The classes are too small and they always check attendance.
typically for any large class anyone can go in because your prof will not know who everyone is. I've had a bunch of buddies go into my class or others and drink while they were in there and no one knew or cared.

Although if you are enrolled in a full course load already then this would be a complete waste of time and pointless since you are not going to get credits for attending and even though you may know more afterwards, you will have nothing to show for it. Also, if you like a class that much to just sit in it on your spare time you will probably take it later on correct?

Will you get into trouble? no
Can you do it? yes
Is it worth it? up to you
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
ESP LTD EX-360
Peavey VYPYR 30W

"There's nothing constant in the universe.
All ebb and flow, and every shape that's born,
bears in it's womb, the seeds of change".
For large auditorium classes, I sneak into them all the time. If I'm on break in between classes, and I'm hanging out with friends who have to go to class, sometimes I'll tag along. I've been to Chemistry classes, Anatomy & Physiology, Calculus, and a few others. Kinda fun. Good place to take a nap.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Quote by High&Mighty
I'm gonna have to get a feel for some of the teachers, cus some professors I know I don't think would mind as long as there are open seats.

A teacher may seem to be nice. And he may be. But that doesn't mean he'll sacrifice his principles just for you.

That is if he has any principles at such subject.
Quote by captaincrunk
So are you enrolled or not? It matters.

Yes, like I said...I'm at community college. Maybe I should have been more clear that at CC I don't think some of the professors would mind. Though I can't know for sure.

Then at the university around where I live, I have no clue if it is possible (due to security reasons/people finding out). But I am assuming that If I can sneak in to a large hall without the teacher really knowing every student, it shouldn't be too hard.
I suppose if it was a large class setting, you could, but obviously you wouldn't get credit for the class.
Quote by AdamDK
At my uni they do a register in tutorials/workshops, but no in lectures. Anyone could walk into a lecture.

This.
When I went to college, they actually encouraged "sit ins" every once in a while for new or continuing students to get a feel for the subject material.

They asked the professor first and 99% of the time they were allowed to sit in for a few classes.

You're not paying for the lecture. You're paying for a stupid little piece of paper in a faux leather/vinyl case that has your name in it and a few words that cost as much as a house. I don't know where mine went, honestly. I moved a few months ago and my degrees are sitting around in a box somewhere. Expensive, huh?
I'd be pretty ****ed off if you were free loading on the course I paid £3300+ to attend.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
You did not pay for that course. You are getting something you didn't pay for, so there's a possibility that it could be classed as stealing, legally (you can steal something intangible like information). But, I doubt the uni would do anything. Maybe give you a slap on the wrist and send you on your way.
Quote by Maillouxlp18
typically for any large class anyone can go in because your prof will not know who everyone is. I've had a bunch of buddies go into my class or others and drink while they were in there and no one knew or cared.

Although if you are enrolled in a full course load already then this would be a complete waste of time and pointless since you are not going to get credits for attending and even though you may know more afterwards, you will have nothing to show for it. Also, if you like a class that much to just sit in it on your spare time you will probably take it later on correct?

Will you get into trouble? no
Can you do it? yes
Is it worth it? up to you

I don't think learning about a subject for the sake of learning and not just to get credit (or have something to show for it) is a "waste of time".

However, in my case, I would probably take the classes I snuck into later on yeah. But I only go part time right now, work part time too, so time issue might be a problem. Idk I just feel like if I can learn about something now, whether I take it for actual credit in the future or not, then I should do it and be ahead of the game (knowledge wise). Also though, my college outlook is iffy, I really don't know for sure if I will take the classes for credit later. I'm just interested in the subjects.
Last edited by High&Mighty at Oct 23, 2011,
Quote by Tom 1.0
I'd be pretty ****ed off if you were free loading on the course I paid £3300+ to attend.

you're not paying to attend, you're paying for a diploma.
If you're paying for the university and attending, why wouldn't you just ask the professor if you could sit in? Tell him you're really interested in his course and would love to take it in the future, but right now you're not able, and would he mind you coming by occasionally to listen to him speak?

Generally, a real teacher will be happy to share what they know with someone who earnestly wants to understand it if the one seeking the knowledge is honest about it. They're far more likely to toss your ass out if you try to be slick about it and end up not being slick enough.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Can't you just audit the class? My university allows you to sign up just sit in on the class, but it doesn't count towards anything...just for people who are interested.
I know it's a big deal in capitalist america when the poor learn for free since only people with money should be educated, but no one would care here. Uni is free here for that matter so yeah...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Here at UG, we use our stealth skills to learn things that we are otherwise not academically permitted to!!
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
I went to an Oxford Uni criminal law lecture just last week while visiting my girlfriend, no-one cared, except my girlfriend was insanely nervous. But, attending lectures that aren't part of your course is perfectly acceptable, and in most universities also encouraged, not so much if you do not attend that university, but im sure it is still perfectly all right. The attendance at lectures is usually around 100-300 people, so as long as you don't start being an obnoxious ass who feels the need to disturb the lecture to get everyone's attention because you have some kind of insecurity issues, then you are good to go!

As I think, if Oxford is cool with it, then any uni is!
Metal grows on you.
Mainstream Jumps on you,
rapes you anally
and leaves.

mainstream is to music what the worm is to the apple
Quote by High&Mighty
Yes, like I said...I'm at community college. Maybe I should have been more clear that at CC I don't think some of the professors would mind. Though I can't know for sure.

Then at the university around where I live, I have no clue if it is possible (due to security reasons/people finding out). But I am assuming that If I can sneak in to a large hall without the teacher really knowing every student, it shouldn't be too hard.

Right, don't go to the university. I mean I'm sure you can be on the campus walking around, lots of people exercise walking around universities because they're pretty. Why not just stick to the CC?
just go sit in. I sit in on classes other than mine all the time. If i have breaks ill chill in a friends class and listen or get some work done. Don't be afraid, if your picking an intro or 2nd year course i wouldnt even tell the prof. You may have an issue with upper year courses though
Quote by Kensai
I know it's a big deal in capitalist america when the poor learn for free since only people with money should be educated, but no one would care here. Uni is free here for that matter so yeah...

If I was a woman, I would begin a ceaseless love-quest to find you after reading this awesome, scarily accurate comment which I totally agree with.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I don;t know about where you're going but the uni I went to had an option to audit the class for free which is basically what you want to do. Sit in the lectures and learn and get a feel for the subject but not pay or get credit for the class.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
As long as ther is enough room for the enrolled students then it is ok. If not they simply ask to leave.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
I think it should be encouraged. The whole point of university is to open your mind and to learn new things. You've paid money for your course, you should be allowed to sample other subjects. It could teach you something new, or even show you how to do something in your own. And the students in that class can do it too.

As long as the actual students aren't hampered, who cares?
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
You did not pay for that course. You are getting something you didn't pay for, so there's a possibility that it could be classed as stealing, legally (you can steal something intangible like information). But, I doubt the uni would do anything. Maybe give you a slap on the wrist and send you on your way.

You are not going to get into any trouble because you're not getting something you didn't pay for. You are getting the knowledge, but you are not getting the credits which get you your degree (what people pay for), thus it can not be classed as stealing. It is basically no different than you going onto YouTube and watching a few of the many videos schools such as MIT post onto their accounts for students and the general public to watch, for free.

Also, if you don't have a full course load already and want to learn a bit about the topic and possibly get a head start for future courses, then go for it.

Universities will be easier to do this in as well, since class sizes are typically much larger. If it's a small class just ask the prof to sit-in like a few others have suggested.

Anyways, good luck on your extra-curricular studies
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
ESP LTD EX-360
Peavey VYPYR 30W

"There's nothing constant in the universe.
All ebb and flow, and every shape that's born,
bears in it's womb, the seeds of change".
Last edited by Maillouxlp18 at Oct 23, 2011,
Its called auditing. If the lecture's big enough, no prob. If its small, just ask the prof, and if they say its ok, go for it.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
you should come to my school and come to a lecture with me. that way if the teacher gets mad i can say you're my cousin who's from out of town and came to visit. though i won't be doing any winter courses, and probably won't be doing any lecture classes in the spring.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
First and second year courses have hundreds of students so definitely people could come in if they wanted to.
Quote by due 07
Right, so we should just let any random person learn, regardless of how much $$$ they have? Give me a break.

give him a break. he doesn't know how our superior Murican education system works.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Page 1 of 2