Hey guys.
Is it a good idea to have my hand TOTALLY afloat when alternate picking?
It would only be slightly touching the bridge, not pressing down.
What are the benefist? pro's, con's ?
Thanks
no.
Only float when strumming.
Keeping your palm at bridge or strings helps your accuracy and keeps you from getting tense.
When you rest your hand at the bridge, muting and keeping your playing clean is a hundred times easier too.
Floating hand is not really a good idea at all. ( I can't come to think of a single good thing about it)
no anchor your hand to something. i use the far thumb side of my palm above strings near the bridge. i also use my pinky as a guide/anchor below the strings. when i play the higher strings. (G,B, E) I will rest the thumb side palm on the low strings (E,A,D) themselves.

i am a classical player so i have long fingernails on fret hand. when i play classical or fingerstyle my right hand position is very different. when i tremolo pick I use my pinky fingernail to plant because it slides easily and unrestricted but also levels and guides my picking.
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
Anchoring is a bad idea. Palm/thumb should touch the strings for muting purposes, but anchoring restricts your movement which is a bad thing.
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Quote by hr113
Anchoring is a bad idea. Palm/thumb should touch the strings for muting purposes, but anchoring restricts your movement which is a bad thing.

This. I started off anchoring my pinky on the guitar body or even on the guitar strings in my first few months of starting guitar but quickly put an end to it. I tried anchoring recently and felt how restrictive and hindering it was.
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
You can do both, contrary to what some say a floating hand will actually be more relaxed than an anchored one, it is perfect for acoustic guitar and no gain clean playing, google sarod picking, the principle is to keep a relaxed but closed hand, a flexible thumb and only rest your forearm on the guitar, the hand is floating over the string.. hard to get at first really but it allows you to pick for countless hours without getting tired.

The tricky part comes when you want to mute high gain playing, you have to work on palm muting which is a pain in the ass since your hand is floating and you have to lightly touch the strings or thumb mute, which will feel unnatural at first but bring many benefits.
Quote by Ibarshall_X
Hey guys.
Is it a good idea to have my hand TOTALLY afloat when alternate picking?
It would only be slightly touching the bridge, not pressing down.
What are the benefist? pro's, con's ?
Thanks

Only slightly touching is best. Obviously, the pro is less tension, the con is having to work to change your technique.