So I'm looking for a new acoustic, I can get a Taylor 310, the dreadnought version without electronics for $600, or a Epi Masterbilt for around $400. I love how my friends Taylor 214ce plays but I can't really play any guitars before I buy them. What do you guys think? Have you played either of these? Thanks.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
which masterbilt are you talking about?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
hmm..i have no experience with the masterbuilt(only what i read). but , me being a closed-minder, opinionated jarhead... hands down the taylor rips ass ! i have a taylor and the tone and brightness are outstanding.
to me, the 310 is my least favorite taylor tonewise but others have very different opinions. while i'm not wild about masterbilts - there are lots of guitars i prefer in this price range - they are all solid, and tend to have more beef to the tone, which i prefer. on the other hand, taylors tend to be very well built, while masterbilts tend to have small issues i've run into.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
there are some really great deals on taylors on evil-bay. some really nice 410's elec/acou are going under 600.
The Taylor is nicer than any Masterbilt I have played (as well it should be given the price difference) but you really need to answer this question before we can give a definitive answer.

which masterbilt are you talking about?
in that case, the taylor is going to be brighter. whether that's a good thing depends on you - i'd go for the masterbilt, but i prefer a deeper voiced guitar. keep in mind you can have the action set up on either guitar for easier playability if you choose.
Quote by Skeet UK
I have the Masterbilt EF-500 and I couldn't be happier. I'd definitely say it's a better buy than a mid-low end Taylor. I've never run into a quality issue with my Epi, and I'm quite picky.
I own a Masterbilt (DR500M to be precise) and have played several Taylors, low end and high end ones. The Epi easily (and I mean easily) surpasses any low end Taylor. Comparing it to the high end Taylors, well, it goes toe to toe with them, with the 814c be slightly better, because of its construction and versatility of sound. The only downside of my Masterbilt was that it needed a good setup, but after it, it's a pleasure to play.
The taylor is worth about 1300 new...if you can get it for 600 i'd jump on that, just make sure it was taken care of by the original owner.

I do own 2 masterbilts that i'm quite happy with, but in the back of my mind i'm still haunted by the word "epiphone" as if it's gonna spontaneously combust into a firey explosion of cardboard and release little chinese factory workers that hid in the case who want to take advantage of my free health care.

Just kidding masterbilts are good guitars...but i'd go with the taylor so long as the price doesn't reflect the condition.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
You kidding me? everything is legal in Canada.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.