Looking at recent used SG's on eBay. Could get one for around $1k, was wondering if they were well-made or if Gibson has fallen off over the years.
Just as good as any year, really.
Guitars:
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Gibson Les Paul Bfg
Acoustics
Ibanez GSR200FM Bass
Amps:
Bugera V55HD w/avatar cab
Fender Champ 600 with 4 ohm cab
70s traynor 200w head with 2 9x8 cabs for bass
Yep looking at Standards. Mainly black ones or the natural burst if I'm able to find one when I'm ready to buy.
Are there any years in which the necks are slimmer? I'm used to Ibanez guitars so the thicker Gibson necks may take some getting used to. I'll have to hit up a Guitarcenter/Sam Ash and try some out.
I don't think I'd ever buy a Gibson - or nearly any guitar, actually - on eBay. There's enough variance from instrument to instrument, especially with Gibsons, that you're really asking for trouble if you don't try the exact one you're going to buy.

Search on Craigslist and in shops, a used SG shouldn't be hard to find locally. The 61, as mentioned, has a slimmer neck and is a bit nicer overall than the Standard. You can sometimes find them for just a little more than a Standard used.
If a slim neck is a priority for you then don't think about buying a Gibson without trying it first. All their SGs are meant to have a slightly thinner neck than their LPs and ESs but really their necks are totally random. Some are thinner than Fender necks, others are really thick and there doens't seem to be any pattern to what you'll get. At least in my experience. I'm not a Gibson owner but I've picked up enough to have gotten a good feel for how much their necks vary. Don't buy a Gibson online, don't buy a Gibson blind. Ever.
i have two SG's.

one is a SG White Jazz (45/400 or something like that) which has a thinner neck, the other is a Vintage Mahogany (2002 IIRC), and thats a baseball bat and i like it.

i am in the oppisite end of the boat, having just picking up a pristege (3550MZ) a two months ago. at first the neck felt weird being so thin, but you get used to it quickly. i can play that, then go to a 50's LP neck one of my Les Pauls and not be bothered. it takes time getting used to the switch, but it really isn't that bad.

a lot of people are a lot more picky with neck profiles, but i play quite a few guitars on a regular basis and can pretty much pickup any neck profile and play relatively similarily.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I'd ever buy a Gibson - or nearly any guitar, actually - on eBay. There's enough variance from instrument to instrument, especially with Gibsons, that you're really asking for trouble if you don't try the exact one you're going to buy.

Search on Craigslist and in shops, a used SG shouldn't be hard to find locally. The 61, as mentioned, has a slimmer neck and is a bit nicer overall than the Standard. You can sometimes find them for just a little more than a Standard used.
+311.

If you're considering used, watch out for the MIJ Burny SGs (or the more expensive MIJ Orville by Gibson). The neck profiles for their '61 RI and Standard are closest to the Gibsons, if that matters.