In a few week times I'll be upgrading my Vox VT50 for a head and cab and I've narrowed my choices of a head down to a Bugera 333 or a Peavey Vyper. I can get the Bugera for around 300 pounds and the Vyper for around 260, however the Bugera includes the foot switch which I will need while the Vyper has it sold separately for another 60 pounds.

The band I'm in plays music influenced by bands such as La Dispute, More than Life, Defeater, Touché Amoré etc and I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out in deciding which head would be better for me. Thank you!
I have the peavey vyper, it has a really good sound, ive never tried the bugera, but my advice is to find a music shop that has both, and play every inch of each one and decide which one meets your needs. Or you could try watching EXPERT review videos, not from some idiot kid on youtube.
I don't know, I've only tried the tube 60 (great amp, quite liked it.)
But I own the 333XL, and I'd say of the two I'd go with the bugera, BUT, if you want the effects and all that, obviously the vyper is the better option, I'm more of a death metal/straight up metal player more so than a heavy effects user (tad of reverb/delay everynow and again) but other than that none, But that's just me.

It works best for what I do, so I'd say see if you can try it, either way, you're going to get a good amp man, cheers.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Oct 23, 2011,
Having never played a Bugera, I'd say go for the Vypyr. But it will come down to what YOU like/want.

If you need incredible versatility while still sounding great, get the Vypyr. If you're doing straight up metal or something, the Bugera might be better. But don't be fooled by the modelling on the Vypyr.. It sounds amazing especially on the tube heads through the right cab.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Having never played a Bugera, I'd say go for the Vypyr. But it will come down to what YOU like/want.

If you need incredible versatility while still sounding great, get the Vypyr. If you're doing straight up metal or something, the Bugera might be better. But don't be fooled by the modelling on the Vypyr.. It sounds amazing especially on the tube heads through the right cab.

If you never played a Bugera how would you know how versatile it is? Although the Vypyr is pretty damn versatile if you get that pedal.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
If you never played a Bugera how would you know how versatile it is? Although the Vypyr is pretty damn versatile if you get that pedal.

A modeler is meant to be more versatile than a normal amp. And I'm assuming it is.

Thankyou for all your help! The other guitarist in my band has a Bugera 333 and I've tried it out and it's pretty nice, but I'm quite attracted to how versatile the Vyper is + the onboard chromatic tuner which would save me money as I wouldn't have to get a pedal which justifies it being 30 pounds more expencive really. I suppose the question is will the Vyper do the high gain stuff as well as the Bugera?
It should do it well, but again, it comes down to how many effects you plan on using, I'd take my bugera over the vyper for high gain stuff, but that's just me, if you get the peavey you're high gain stuff will be covered just fine, no worries at all, it all just comes down to preference, I found that the vyper has a tighter sharper sound, but it wasn't as thick sounding, while my bugera, has a FAIRLY tight bottom end, (just not as tight, getting a boost to help with that haha, it's not a big deal), but it has more of a fullness in the tone, again, it's just my take and that's what I hear.
ಠ_ಠ

Quote by TheAbsentOne
A modeler is meant to be more versatile than a normal amp. And I'm assuming it is.

+1

The 333 is pretty strait-forward and the Vypyr is a modeler. Not sure why there would be confusion there. They are two totally different types of amps. I've not owned or played both like Tango has so he has some really good advice there.

All I can add is this.

If the other guitarist in your band has a 333 then that alone would tell me to get something different. If you are already interested in the versatility of the Vypyr than that wins imo hands down. I mean in addition to the tone of the XXX and JSX you also get some convincing Diezel, Krank, Dual Rec, 6505+ tones in addition to Brit and Twin type stuff.

I have a Vypyr 60 tube and despite it being an open back combo I feel the amp is very thick and tight.

Vypyr 120 gets my vote
The Vypyr crushes the 333. I mean honestly... Bugera's prices are right, no one is contending that. But I've played a few, and they don't sound as great as people make them out to. The difference is obvious to be between a 6505 and a 6262, for instance.

And the Vypyr won't burst into flames.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
The Vypyr crushes the 333. I mean honestly... Bugera's prices are right, no one is contending that. But I've played a few, and they don't sound as great as people make them out to. The difference is obvious to be between a 6505 and a 6262, for instance.

And the Vypyr won't burst into flames.

I respected your opinion that you liked the vypyr more than the bugera, up until your last sentence.

What ones have you played exactly? through what cabs? settings?

The praise bugera gets is from people who play them and like them and are very pleased with what they got for the money, most of the HATE about bugera, comes from bandwagoners going on about the old faulty plastic clip (that they have since fixed) which simply made the amp stop playing, not "burst into flames", it's a 20 min. if that soldering fix.

I somewhat agree with, since your other guitar player has a 333, you should lean to the vypyr, HOWEVER, if you like the tone, then go for it, nobody says you can't have the same amp, a LOT of bands use the same amp, just use different settings/EQ

Look at Lamb of god, both use Mark 4's (or 5's, can't recall)
Cannibal Corpse, both use duel/trip rec's.
Come to think of it, just think of how many metal bands in general have both guitarists running mesa recs, or peavey 5150/6505, etc etc.
ಠ_ಠ

Last edited by Tango616 at Oct 23, 2011,
I wasn't being very serious. You kind of agreed with what I said though. The Bugeras sound good for the price. They just don't sound identical to the amps they are cloning. I've played the 333 (non XL) and the 6260. Both were the combo versions.

I was joking about the fire. Although I would trust the Vypyr's reliability over the 333's. It's all about track records. I've never heard of a Vypyr Tube breaking down.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I think the Vypyr would be the best choice. I don't really use a lot of effects, but with the footswitch you can get radically different tones at the press of one switch, which is convenient. Another great feature is the built in looper. This has helped me write a lot of my songs and write parts to fill them out, solos. etc. The Bugera is a very nice amp. Pretty cleans, cool crunch settings but can still get brutal. Overall all though i don't think there is really anything it can do that the Vypyr can't honestly. The only thing i dislike on my Vypyr are the cleans, which tend to sound kinda bland by itself (i usually run it with either the compression effect or Tubescreamer for some warmth and tone to it).

Also, note i have the SS version. I'm sure the tube version would be even better. I've played them a few times but it's been a couple years so i cant't really comment
Quote by Offworld92
I wasn't being very serious. You kind of agreed with what I said though. The Bugeras sound good for the price. They just don't sound identical to the amps they are cloning. I've played the 333 (non XL) and the 6260. Both were the combo versions.

I was joking about the fire. Although I would trust the Vypyr's reliability over the 333's. It's all about track records. I've never heard of a Vypyr Tube breaking down.

Na, they dont break down. They freeze up

They both have had their share of issues.

Frankly, with the Bugera's, to me, it is more of the poorly biased amps and crappy tubes they seem to keep cranking out. That is easy to check though and otherwise they seem pretty solid.

With the Vypyr's it was the freeze up issue and some other misnomers. Most of these issues can be fixed with a software patch. That is easy to fix and otherwise they seem pretty solid.
Thankyou everyone, I wasn't really aware it would be weird for us to both run the same amp to be honest with you but I think I've decided I'm going to go with the Vyper anyway, what's this about them freezing up though?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Na, they dont break down. They freeze up

This.

Yeah bugera's tube's may not be the best, but so what, go buy some high end tubes, most people do that anyways, very few people I know use factory tubes when they get a tube amp.
ಠ_ಠ

Quote by AoAXoX
Thankyou everyone, I wasn't really aware it would be weird for us to both run the same amp to be honest with you but I think I've decided I'm going to go with the Vyper anyway, what's this about them freezing up though?

The Vypyr is essentially a computer. Like any computer, it at times freezes up. Not a big problem, happens rarely. Its about as common as freezing up on any other digital unit. About as common and random as valves on a tube amp blowing.
FWIW, I've only experienced freezing on my solid state Vypyr's, and not at all on my tube Vypyr.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Tango616
This.

Yeah bugera's tube's may not be the best, but so what, go buy some high end tubes, most people do that anyways, very few people I know use factory tubes when they get a tube amp.

Just based on the posts here in GGnA over the past 3 years or so I would say 'most' people that buy a budget tube amp DO NOT buy 'high end' tubes to replace right away. As much as we may suggest they do.

Quote by GS LEAD 5
The Vypyr is essentially a computer. Like any computer, it at times freezes up. Not a big problem, happens rarely. Its about as common as freezing up on any other digital unit. About as common and random as valves on a tube amp blowing.

I disagree on your freezing up comment. You make it sound like all digital units 'could' freeze up. Not a big deal, just a very minor observation. Also the preamp of the Vypyrs is analog. The post gain effects are digital.
^I did say rarely and the pots are digitally controlled, so is the memory. The analogue dist part is still controlled by digital systems.

EDIT: And ive successfully managed to freeze up a POD X3, my RP500 as well as an HD400 all you have to do is input some whacked out settings. On the X3, i tried running two amps with comp, boost, EQ, verb and delay all at once. With the RP, I set the exp pedal to pre gain, with the toe down positiona t 1% and toe up 0% shouldnt happen if you stick to sane settings though.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Oct 24, 2011,
My rp355 won't freeze up even if I put everything on 99.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
333XL is a great amp.

Get the 333 or another "proper" tube amp. I haver always found that modelling amps, even the good ones, dont fill out a mix properly and when placed next to a real amp, dont cut through well enough.

The Vypyr is great for single guitar bands or bedroom playing.

The 333 is a great amp, I would take it over the vypyr and even if you have the same amp, well god forbid you both dont have to use the exact same settings.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by kutless999
My rp355 won't freeze up even if I put everything on 99.

Youre doing it wrong putting everything to 99 and putting everything to 10 uses the same amount of DSP power. its when you do stuff thats wild that itll freeze up.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
My RP and UX1 would freeze up a lot actually. No problems with the Vypyr so far and I bought it used. Didn't know that about the pots. Thanks.

How is the UX1 btw? ive been interested in getting hold of a cheap interface....recording with the RP sounds a lot fizzier than IRL.....might be that the RP's interface aint that great. Or maybe its just the effect of a 15'' speaker? What do you think?

EDIT: @ Tom: I recently got a chance to jam with a guy who was running an X3 into a 65W Twin Reissue. i cut through just fine, though my KB was at like 7/10 while his twin was what 3? Cutting through isnt a problem if you dial in your sound right, and so long as the amp itself is loud enough. And a 100W SS amp is only just about loud enough to keep up with a 65W Twin. I doubt itll manage the same with a 6505 or something as horrendously loud.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Oct 24, 2011,
TS - Actually, what you should do is create a proper 'What amp' thread with budget, genres, home or gig, new or used, closest city, etc etc and see what people suggest.

somewhat off topic but...
Quote by GS LEAD 5

How is the UX1 btw? ive been interested in getting hold of a cheap interface....recording with the RP sounds a lot fizzier than IRL.....might be that the RP's interface aint that great. Or maybe its just the effect of a 15'' speaker? What do you think?

I really like the UX1 as a budget mic interface. It never really freezes on me, but sometimes you have to unplug the USB and plug it back in at startup but that may actually be my USB port. Pod Farm, included, is pretty decent too. Going from
1.) RP > PC,
2.) to RP > amp > mic,
3.) to UX1 Pod Farm,
4.) to Vypyr were incremental tone jumps or me.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Youre doing it wrong putting everything to 99 and putting everything to 10 uses the same amount of DSP power. its when you do stuff thats wild that itll freeze up.

EDIT: @ Tom: I recently got a chance to jam with a guy who was running an X3 into a 65W Twin Reissue. i cut through just fine, though my KB was at like 7/10 while his twin was what 3? Cutting through isnt a problem if you dial in your sound right, and so long as the amp itself is loud enough. And a 100W SS amp is only just about loud enough to keep up with a 65W Twin. I doubt itll manage the same with a 6505 or something as horrendously loud.

When you make patches for recordings, monitor with headphones, not your amp.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
I own a Spider Valve HD100 which is not the same as the vyper , but it is a modeler with tubes It is very versitile. I also own a Bugera 333 head, and I'd take it over a modeler any day. The all tube deffinately cuts through much better than the modeling, don't ask me why it just does.

Have you thought about looking at the Bugera 6260/6262? it is a diffrent sound and actualy complements the 333/333xl prety well. Its like running a 5150 and a XXX/JSX together.

Jet City JCA 50/100 would be another great choice to look into if you can.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
TS - Actually, what you should do is create a proper 'What amp' thread with budget, genres, home or gig, new or used, closest city, etc etc and see what people suggest.

somewhat off topic but...

I really like the UX1 as a budget mic interface. It never really freezes on me, but sometimes you have to unplug the USB and plug it back in at startup but that may actually be my USB port. Pod Farm, included, is pretty decent too. Going from
1.) RP > PC,
2.) to RP > amp > mic,
3.) to UX1 Pod Farm,
4.) to Vypyr were incremental tone jumps or me.

Will the RP sound better into the UX1 into reaper?

Quote by kutless999
When you make patches for recordings, monitor with headphones, not your amp.

Cause headphones sound like shit