im sure you guys have seen a million of these threads asking 'what amp should i get'... well heres another. my budget for a tube amp is anywhere from $100 to $400 and i really dont care if its used or not. i play a bunch of clean-crunchy srv/hendrix rhcp type stuff and i like a nice overdrive too. my main concern is how well it will work with pedals and the tone. ive looked on cl for amps and ive seen some marshall jtm's for cheap...any good? my first instinct was a blues jr. but im not too sure what it would do for the dirtier sounds, so please point me in the right direction haha
I don't mean to be a prick, but this would get much better answers in GG&A. I'll report it so a mod will move it there. Then read the sticky about what we need to help you get a new amp (you've got most of it covered, but location would help too).

*reported.

EDIT: Although I guess I could help you out too lol. A Blues Jr. will give you a nice crunch and a good clean, but it's only one channel so you won't be able to switch between the two without using your volume knob or a boost pedal. A used Traynor would be a good way to go, even though it would be at the very top of your budget it would do most of those tones pretty well. Now SRV used Fenders and Frusciante from RHCP used Marshalls, so they are both voiced differently and that might factor into what amp you want. I don't know anything about the Marshalls you mentioned.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Last edited by barden1069 at Oct 23, 2011,
Quote by barden1069
I don't mean to be a prick, but this would get much better answers in GG&A. I'll report it so a mod will move it there. Then read the sticky about what we need to help you get a new amp (you've got most of it covered, but location would help too).

*reported.

EDIT: Although I guess I could help you out too lol. A Blues Jr. will give you a nice crunch and a good clean, but it's only one channel so you won't be able to switch between the two without using your volume knob or a boost pedal. A used Traynor would be a good way to go, even though it would be at the very top of your budget it would do most of those tones pretty well. Now SRV used Fenders and Frusciante from RHCP used Marshalls, so they are both voiced differently and that might factor into what amp you want. I don't know anything about the Marshalls you mentioned.

Amusingly I had a Fender Hot Rod Deville and the cleans on that sounded REALLY RHCP-ish to me but I couldn't get a Marshall-ish crunch tone out of it. xD But yeah, for under $400? I'd go with the Blues Jr., Marshall's low-ends are absolutely horrid to my experience(though I've heard good things about that Class 5, but I haven't played it. All I know is the MGs and the MAs are among the worst amps I've played, and certainly didn't merit the price tags on them).

Epiphone has the Valve Jr. too, which I've heard nice things about and is around the 150 mark, I think? It only has one knob though, being volume, so I'd say you'd need to buy an overdrive pedal seperate if you wanted distortion at low volumes from that.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
You've found a JTM in your pricerange? Buy that sucka - NOW.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
I hear good things about the Peavey Vypyr Tube Version.

But yeah, take it to this forum.

If he can get a JTM and you recommend a Vypyr. WTF is your problem!!!