Page 1 of 2
I have been playing for almost 13 years, and I never play the guitar in front of others. I get embarrassed and usually very angry when someone sees or hears me play the guitar. It's not an issue of self-confidence or anything like that; I can play some amazing material like many of you and have no fear of screwing up.

Is anyone else like this? I mean, I really dislike being around people to begin with, and I tend to keep to myself 99.9% of the time anyways.
I love playing in front of people.
CAPITALISM
Quote by diofan88
Naked with a bowl of cereal with headphones.
I love having people watch me play. I feel like I'm a better player than normal when other people are around. And I'm a horrible attention *****. I make mistakes, but most people don't notice or don't make a big deal about a couple of mistakes.
Nah. I don't have a problem with it. What I hate is when people are like "ZOmgg6 you play geetar!? Can u lyke play sweet hoam alabama derp derp" or something stupid. Or they ask you to just play. Cause then I never know what to play. haha
I love playing in front of people. The more people, the better. I've never even had stage fright.

But I don't like showing my paintings or poetry to people. Some things I've just gotta keep to myself.
I disliked it when I was starting out, but it's good fun once you learn to relax and just play. It'll push you to be better as a musician as well.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I used to a bit, but I got over it... I wouldn't play at all if I couldn't share it with others, and interact with others...
---
i only hate it when people expect you to be able to play every popular song that came out... that just annoys me. otherwise, i have no problem what so ever playing infront of people.
i usually don't mind playing infront of others, but i do fear becoming a "douchebag with a guitar"
Quote by Andrew C. S.
I don't like playing in front of non-musicians.

I don't like playing electric in front of non-musicians, because it's just so multidimensional, and I feel like only people that know a lot about it will fully realize why what I'm playing is cool. Acoustic is easy for everyone to enjoy, though.
i love playinbg in fron of people but i hate those peoplr that ask you to play a song and only want to hear their favorite part it is annoying cause then they tell you somehting else to play

i do however dont like singing in front of people but thats due to me thinking i suck at it
...im working on it though
I don't like people hearing me play because I suck.

I mostly just play open chords and Here Comes the Sun, anyway
Quote by scarter1192
Nah. I don't have a problem with it. What I hate is when people are like "ZOmgg6 you play geetar!? Can u lyke play sweet hoam alabama derp derp" or something stupid. Or they ask you to just play. Cause then I never know what to play. haha

Oh I definitely hate that too.

I mean, I get flat out angry, like I have to wait for someone to go away before I play. I get that way at Guitar Center and even around family members.

Although, come to think of it, I'm that way about playing my favorite music through speakers too. If someone is within earshot of music I'm listening to, I'll turn it down. It's like I don't want people to know what I listen to...
Last edited by CV334 at Oct 23, 2011,
Playing in front of people is the best part of playing music to me. in show form. i dont really like just chillin and someone is like "PLAY MEE A SONG RIGHT NOWWWWWW"
I love playing in front of people, it feeds my ego.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Darkness in Zero
Playing in front of people is the best part of playing music to me. in show form. i dont really like just chillin and someone is like "PLAY MEE A SONG RIGHT NOWWWWWW"

This.

At a show, it's great.

When you're at a little get together or whatever and someone's like "Hey, he plays guitar..." and then everyone is like "OMG, play a song for us!!"; that ****ing sucks.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
I hate practicing in front of others. When i'm learning a new song or running through exercises and scales, I hate it if even my wife sees me mess up. Silly I suppose.

Love jamming with others and playing in front of people. No better high on the planet for me than getting a crowd rocking!
Quote by Sleaze Disease
This.

At a show, it's great.

When you're at a little get together or whatever and someone's like "Hey, he plays guitar..." and then everyone is like "OMG, play a song for us!!"; that ****ing sucks.

^this

i could play infront of a thousand people and not be nervous but playing a for family or in front of the class room sucks
I love playing gigs. I have a lot of fun with it. If I'm just playing for a couple people doing a practice session or even a sound check or something, if someone asks for a song I just say "I don't take requests" and that's usually the end of it. I just play guitar because I like it, I'm not trying to impress anyone.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by CV334
Is anyone else like this? I mean, I really dislike being around people to begin with, and I tend to keep to myself 99.9% of the time anyways.

Yes, I am like that. However, I have been diagnosed with Social Anxiety Disorder, and now have treatment which makes me feel much better.

Being on stage isn't a problem for me though, because it's not being in front of a crowd that bothers me; it's having to deal with people individually that I hate.

A crowd is one big thing that doesn't inquire things of me, or ask me questions that might humiliate me, whereas individuals can, and do, do that. Hence a crowd is - to me, as a sufferer of social anxiety disorder - a benign thing, whereas individuals are a threat to me.

So in your terms, one or two people watching me play guitar, and with the possibility of interacting with me, is a threat that makes me uncomfortable. 200 people watching me play guitar is not a threat because they are not interacting with me on a one-to-one basis and are therefore unlikely to be a threat to me.

Hope this helps.
I sound worse when people are looking. It's weird. I totally stress out, so people think I'm worse than I actually am.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

I like playing in front of people.

But then I get annoyed when my girlfriend listens, and comes out with something like "PLAY HEY THERE DELILAH". I've never looked at the song, and have no idea what the chords are, but apparently it's a song that should be imprinted into every guitarists subconscious, so that you practically play it in your sleep.

Stupid girlfriend is stupid.
there's no better feeling then pulling off some heavy metal infront of a few people ... as long as im not doing it alone......
Quote by deano_l
Yes, I am like that. However, I have been diagnosed with Social Anxiety Disorder, and now have treatment which makes me feel much better.

Being on stage isn't a problem for me though, because it's not being in front of a crowd that bothers me; it's having to deal with people individually that I hate.

A crowd is one big thing that doesn't inquire things of me, or ask me questions that might humiliate me, whereas individuals can, and do, do that. Hence a crowd is - to me, as a sufferer of social anxiety disorder - a benign thing, whereas individuals are a threat to me.

So in your terms, one or two people watching me play guitar, and with the possibility of interacting with me, is a threat that makes me uncomfortable. 200 people watching me play guitar is not a threat because they are not interacting with me on a one-to-one basis and are therefore unlikely to be a threat to me.

Hope this helps.

Maybe I should have been diagnosed.. LOL describes me to a tee... and I've been performing off and on for 40 years..

I learned to deal with the "Play us a song!" by learning one... and learning it well.. then two, then three... for playing soley by myself...

cuz lets face it... what your playing with the band is the guitar part... not the whole song...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Man, maybe it has nothing to do with your guitar playing it has to do with you.

Try to be more social, probably you are afraid of playing ion front of othersd and your subconscious knows that.

Another theory can be deeply ingrained in your subconscious and probably you had a similar experience when you were younger that you don't remember and that stayed there
I love playing at gigs/live, but I hate it when me and my bandmates are just jamming at school in the practice rooms, then I turn around and there's about 10 people in the room. I don't mind playing drums infront of anyone though, kind of strange .
Quote by CV334
I have been playing for almost 13 years, and I never play the guitar in front of others. I get embarrassed and usually very angry when someone sees or hears me play the guitar. It's not an issue of self-confidence or anything like that; I can play some amazing material like many of you and have no fear of screwing up.

If other people weren't supposed to hear you play guitars wouldn't be so loud
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The only reason i dislike playing in front of people is because nobody knows the songs i play so i have to play the four chord prgression of wonderwall before anybody recognises a song ¬¬ in front of other guitarist is fine though because they understand the difficulty whereas 'normal' people seem to think guitar is easy to play.
Quote by EndOfNothing656
Everyone can sing, its just some asshole who makes you feel bad and tells you to stop thats the problem...

Quote by randomhero93
ah I see that you're new here... so I won't be the one to slander you for spam.
Quote by ajondunnfarmer
in front of other guitarist is fine though because they understand the difficulty whereas 'normal' people seem to think guitar is easy to play.

Only if you make it look easy my friend..

which apparently you do...

"Who cares what other people think?"

I do.. thats why I practice...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
funny isn't is that guitar players like to play esoteric stuff that nobody recognises except other guitarists! Most "normal folk" (okay, we'll call them Muggles!) just like a nice song that they know.

There are more of them, so I guess that makes them right to an extent. I mean, the guitar isn't meant to be a solitary instrument, that's why we demand volume from it. Therefore it is designed for other people to hear, to be entertained by it, and if that means playing them stuff they can sing along to, then that is our duty!

Of course not everyone is like that, but you have to become famous for people to sing along with one of your tunes, but if they don't listen to one of your tunes you're not going to become famous. It's a twisted world in which we live, and a hard furrow we have to plough as entertainers and troubadors.
I definitely hate playing at the guitar store. For one, I absolutely CANNOT play sitting down - I have to be standing with the guitar hung just so, and I have to be able to move around and headbang, lol. I can't do that in front of other people - I'm too self-conscious. I can see why bands like Slipknot wear masks - it could help them get into their "band personas." People would never guess what kind of music I play just looking at me - I'm pretty cleancut and don't look like someone who would play and listen to the most extreme forms of metal.

As for playing in front of non-musicians, I really can't stand that either. I play what I play because I like it. And it has taken me ~15 years to develop my sound and techniques. I do not play 'pop' shit music. I can, but I won't. Non-musicians don't understand my music, so I'd rather not subject myself to their scrutiny. For the same reason, I won't listen to metal around other non-musicians, because I can't stand their comments. Other musicians, however, from most genres are pretty respectful of other genres, I've found.
Try playing in front of like 300 people after playing for like 5 people max before, and I guarantee you, the fear will go away. You just have to do it once, and a huge wall will collapse.
worked for me
Last edited by Yekex at Oct 26, 2011,
Time to be a little contrarian and opinionated!

Some of the comments smack a bit of "musician elitism", with the pretentious notion that what one plays is oh so deep and complicated that no one understands it but other people in the musician club - or advanced members. I tend to naturally fall into the "musician's music" thing myself (as in I'm into a lot of stuff that has a fanbase dominantly constituted by musicians), but I'm not one to dismiss the taste of non-musicians simply because they don't play.

And playing just for other musicians is stupid. If you want to play live, get used to the fact that there's an audience that isn't likely to be filled with guitar players. So what. People don't have to be musicians to appriciate your music. If you actually tried, you might get some value out of producing some kind of reaction from a non-musician by playing to the audience in some way (like making eye contact as you do something expressive). You might even feel accomplished.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Oct 26, 2011,
Quote by Andrew C. S.
I don't like playing in front of non-musicians.

THIS OH SO MUCH, it's annoying.

Yes, I particularly hate people who assume you must know all pop hits, expecting you to play them.
Professional lurker since 2009.
Haven't done it THAT many times, but I love it. And I want to do it for the rest of my life. It's just a very cool feeling if you're gigging...
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

I love playing guitar in front of others. Hell yeah! Crank the amp right up and play metal riffs.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by Stryker125
Yeah, but only cuz I have horrible self esteem and lack self confidence.

this
Page 1 of 2