I assume there is thread for this, but I'm not going to check for it.

My dilemma:

My Line 6 Spider III keeps breaking. It is unreliable and Line 6 is not a quality company. They used cheap materials to produce this amp. I can't even plug my guitar in without the risk of the input jack falling into itself. I want a new amp. I think I might want a half-stack. I've been playing for about seven years and I think it is time I sell my Line 6. Marshall seems to be a company I might invest in. I also like the sound of Engl. I play a multitude of genres ranging from jazz to technical death metal. My budget is rather low. I am not looking to spend more than $500. I just want something better than what I have.

Tl;dr:

Budget: $0-$500.
Do not want: Line 6.
Half-stack?
Jazz-Technical Death Metal.
don't bother with a half stack, you'll never get an engl in your price range. Check into bugara 6262, or solidstate amps with tube preamps.
yeah, you might wanna look at the bugera 6262, it'll do death metal, and it's cleans are nice enough for jazz too.
Egnater... 'nuff said

Edit: They may struggle with death metal XD
Gear!!!!

Fender Lonestar Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncan pearly Gates!!!
PRS SE Custom 24 Vintage Natural
Gibson Les Paul Signature T Trans Ebony
Engl Screamer 50
Quote by carnagereap666

OK. Then get a Marshall MG. Crushing and it fits in your budget. Half stacks are br00tal. You can't do Technical Death without one. Wait for the new Carbon Fiber version. Zakk Wyle says it is awesome.
Quote by winterXsolstice
don't bother with a half stack,

Well, I figure a half-stack would be better because my brother and I are trying to form a band together and I would like to be audible over the blast beats.

you'll never get an engl in your price range.

I was just throwing out that I like the sound of them. So something similar would be in the general vicinity of what I am searching for.

Check into bugara 6262, or solidstate amps with tube preamps.

I like the sound of the Bugera. Thanks man. I need to see what my local stores have to offer. I'll definitely start looking into Bugera.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Quote by carnagereap666

OK. Then get a Marshall MG. Crushing and it fits in your budget. Half stacks are br00tal. You can't do Technical Death without one. Wait for the new Carbon Fiber version. Zakk Wyle says it is awesome.

I am unsure whether or not you are kidding, but I have tried MGs and they didn't do much for me. Probably because I didn't get to fiddle with it too much, but I will try them again.
Last edited by carnagereap666 at Oct 23, 2011,
maybe a traynor ycv40 or 50? or a kustom coupé? or genz benz el diablo combo (i think they lose a lot of value used). Just bear in mind that at that budget, there's gonna be some compromise when you need such a wide range of tones (there's gonna be some compromise even with expensive amps with that wide of a range of genres ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by carnagereap666
Well, I figure a half-stack would be better because my brother and I are trying to form a band together and I would like to be audible over the blast beats.

FYI half stacks are not louder than combos.
TL;DR:

I can't read the tl;dr, its too bright. Change color....
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by Sputnik1
FYI half stacks are not louder than combos.

Indeed, I'd guess the biggest difference is in the sound of the speaker cabs. But, if you're kicking around with a $500 budget, you're probably not going to be playing venues that will let you turn it up loud enough to make a difference.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marshall-JCM-2000-DSL-401-All-tube-guitar-amplifier-combo-/120797904797?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c201dbf9d#ht_586wt_956

bam. Find an extra $45 for the shipping cost. If your brother wants to form a band, ask him to chip in for the shipping and pay him back later.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I would stay away from the Marshall MG series. I would compare that series to the spider series, junk, that's just my opinion though, and I guess that is when the MG series first came out, I don't know if they have upgraded much and are more reliable.

The others are right,
Bugera is cheap and reliable.

Here are some others you might like that are up to $500 or just a little over;
B-52 ATX 100
Randall RT series
JetCity JCA-50
Dimebag D100 (solid state)

These are all heads, your cab that you have from your spider should work fine that is if you have a cab for it. I would also search around and find a cab off of ebay, Craigslist, UG, etc to your liking. It's kind of hard to find a decent rig for $500 new. The spider III cab should work for the time being, the sound quality probably won't be all that great, and I would think about upgrading it.
Last edited by SchecterDean at Oct 23, 2011,
he's trolling about the mg
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
he's trolling about the mg

And its new upgraded carbon fiber chassis. I don't think Marshall knows we'll hate the MGs more because of that...

At least an MG owner can say that their amp and Pagani's supercars are made from the same material.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Peavey xxx....
Quote by carnagereap666

You have no idea on how loud 40-60w valve amps are. On the lead channel of my 6505 combo @1, and in my living room, my ears will start getting the tingly going numb feeling within 15mins. And the amp is basically in neutral at that point, I'd wear earplugs before it got out of first gear
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs