Its been ages since I've come to UG with a serious question.. but the bandleading forum always seems to be more intuitive than the pit..
I'll keep it short. I'm looking for a bass player. My friends band has a guy who tracked bass and drums, and drums live for them. As much as I love the guys, I don't know if they've got the drive to go at it hard. Is it a total dick move to try to lift there drummer to play bass for us? We've gigged with them a few times, partied with them, and we all get along pretty well.
PRS CE22
PRS SE Santana
Fender Spalted Maple Tele
Squier Affinity Tele w.mods
Mesa Boogie Mark IV Combo + 212 Recto Cab
Homemade Ash Bass
BBE Two Timer
DUNLOP Wah
BOSS GE-7
KORG Pitchblack
MXR Dyna Comp

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Quote by Carndawgy
Its been ages since I've come to UG with a serious question.. but the bandleading forum always seems to be more intuitive than the pit..
I'll keep it short. I'm looking for a bass player. My friends band has a guy who tracked bass and drums, and drums live for them. As much as I love the guys, I don't know if they've got the drive to go at it hard. Is it a total dick move to try to lift there drummer to play bass for us? We've gigged with them a few times, partied with them, and we all get along pretty well.

Nope.

Ask him, let him decide.

"Hey dude, I know you're good at bass. Wanna play bass for us?"

I'm in about 3 bands atm, it's possible. Im a lead and rhythm guitarist and a drummer.
You should also keep the mindset of your friends band in mind.

For example, if I wanted to take band members from my ex-band who are pretty good friends with me, the drummer who has more of a arrogant elitist personality would probably get super pissed.

However, if I got the drummer in my band as well as his, the guitarists probably wouldn't care because they're more easy going and aren't major elitists.
well. the singer would be pissed. the other two would probably cope.
good point though
PRS CE22
PRS SE Santana
Homemade Ash Bass
BBE Two Timer
DUNLOP Wah
BOSS GE-7
KORG Pitchblack
MXR Dyna Comp

He can be in multiple bands if he wishes. I don't see any problem here.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB

There is. Some bands wont find you dedicated enough to them if you're in other bands to make them either pissed at you or the other band you're in.

Earlier I saw a thread asking about whether or not to fire two band members who where working on their own side project, which is a huge example of how people can get pissed off at signs of lack of dedication.

You also have to consider people who are extremely uptight elitists and anything like this would be a major blow to their ego.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
There is. Some bands wont find you dedicated enough to them if you're in other bands to make them either pissed at you or the other band you're in.

Earlier I saw a thread asking about whether or not to fire two band members who where working on their own side project, which is a huge example of how people can get pissed off at signs of lack of dedication.

You also have to consider people who are extremely uptight elitists and anything like this would be a major blow to their ego.

I know people like this, I usually explain to them that if they get upset that I'm in other bands too, that's their problem, not mine. As long as I can put in the effort for that band, they shouldn't care what I get up to in my spare time.
Soundcloud
It's how Metallica got Cliff Burton, I'd say go for it. It's up to him really on what his priorities are. My high school's metal "scene" had a big ol' spiderweb of band members and their priorities.
NOT EASILY LED, EASILY BANNED.
Quote by AlanHB

well, sadly that would only work out for a while. by the time we get out gigging, i highly doubt he could be pulling both, considering he'd be on the road with us. he could do it until the end of the school year, but after that it'd be over.
though, from a realistic stand point, things could change for both parties between now and september.
essentially, the drummer and I are writing..i', writing basslines for now, but i'd rather have whoever we go on the road with to write and record basslines. we're tracking in may. so, not in a huge rush to get this worked out.
PRS CE22
PRS SE Santana
Homemade Ash Bass
BBE Two Timer
DUNLOP Wah
BOSS GE-7
KORG Pitchblack
MXR Dyna Comp

Quote by AlanHB
I know people like this, I usually explain to them that if they get upset that I'm in other bands too, that's their problem, not mine. As long as I can put in the effort for that band, they shouldn't care what I get up to in my spare time.

I honestly would get extremely pissed if that happened to me and I was taking the band seriously for a career. I mean if its just friends doing covers I don't care, but if you're actually trying to make music it's pretty discouraging to see that your band members don't take you seriously enough to stay focused on one thing.

I know they can do what they want, but I just can't explain what I'm trying to say without people getting the wrong meaning and thinking I'm a control freak.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234

Sure.

This is an issue for his band. If he thinks it's going to be a problem, it's up to him to decide if he wants to deal with it or not.

Maybe he'll say, "Yeah, we all have side projects, it's cool." Maybe he'll say, "You know what, that wouldn't go over well with my bandmates, and that band is important to me." Maybe he'll say, "You know, I've been looking to expand my musical pallette and I'm feeling limited by that band - if they don't like it, they can toss off." Or maybe, "Sure, but that band always has to come first" in which case you have to decide if you're okay with it.

But you won't know until you ask him.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
I honestly would get extremely pissed if that happened to me and I was taking the band seriously for a career. I mean if its just friends doing covers I don't care, but if you're actually trying to make music it's pretty discouraging to see that your band members don't take you seriously enough to stay focused on one thing.

Professional musicians (i.e. musicians doing it as a career) often have multiple projects. It's all about managing your time. If a band mate gets pissed because a band member is not managing his time efficiently that's fine. If they get pissed because of the other member playing with another band they are just being childish.

I'm not a professional musician as such (I play for fun), but I try to act professionally when managing my time between projects.

A member of a band I used to be in was good at managing his time between projects. So much so that I didn't know he was playing in another band. I was pissed that he hadn't told me, but was not pissed that he had other projects. In fact, I'd recommend it.
hmmm. well i guess its not gonna hurt to ask is it? hotspur laid it out pretty well it seems
PRS CE22
PRS SE Santana
Homemade Ash Bass
BBE Two Timer
DUNLOP Wah
BOSS GE-7
KORG Pitchblack
MXR Dyna Comp

Quote by zomgguitarz1234

I know they can do what they want, but I just can't explain what I'm trying to say without people getting the wrong meaning and thinking I'm a control freak.

It is hard to say it without sounding like a control freak isn't it?

It's especially hard when you wouldn't care or notice if you didn't know about it at all. What if one of your band members took up a job? What if they started playing tennis?

I'm personally in multiple bands, and I wouldn't say I take one less seriously than the next. The pure truth is that if you want to gig regularly, and pull in some extra cash on the side, you have to be in more than one band (ignoring the massive bands). At some point, one band may take up more time than the others, and if you find yourself unable to meet your commitments, you have to make a cut. Usually this is quite easy - you cut the band that has been doing the least amount of things, or the one that you enjoy the least.

You also have to be honest with how much time a band takes up. Once the setlist is down, it really isn't that much at all. That's why you can be in multiple bands. Some of mine only gig, and only practice when learning a new song.
Soundcloud