I don't know how to fix this. If I push too lightly, the strings don't ring out, but if I push enough to play the chords, the muscle starts to hurt to the point where I sometimes can't finish songs. It usually takes a little while for it to happen but once it does it's unbearable.

Is this normal at first and will it go away eventually? Or is there something wrong with my technique that i'm not aware of? (there probably is, i'm self taught)
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
Quote by Ragu35
I don't know how to fix this. If I push too lightly, the strings don't ring out, but if I push enough to play the chords, the muscle starts to hurt to the point where I sometimes can't finish songs. It usually takes a little while for it to happen but once it does it's unbearable.

Is this normal at first and will it go away eventually? Or is there something wrong with my technique that i'm not aware of? (there probably is, i'm self taught)

Are you using your thumb to press on the strings?

edit: or is just resting behind the fretboard?
Last edited by AJScott at Oct 23, 2011,
When you're playing does you're thumb go right over the otherside of the neck? Make sure it's resting in the middle of the neck (where the line on a strat or tele is) and only put pressure on the upper half of the thumb... that should help, did for me when I first learnt to bar.
Quote by AJScott
Are you using your thumb to press on the strings?

edit: or is just resting behind the fretboard?

im guessing he means behind it....it never happend to me little cramps but never actual to the point of pain
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
Massage the muscle with the thumb and pointing finger of your other hand. Do this by digging your thumb into the muscle with your pointing finger on your other side. My mom taught me this, she used to study massage therapy.
I had the same problem with my thumb.

I got some exercise for increasing stamina, think it was called "Finger Gym", only problem I had was that my thumb would be the first bit of my hand to tire out.

If you think about it, your 4 fingers take it in turns to do stuff, while your thumb is pressing all the time.

It will go away though, as your hand stamina improves.
It's definitely annoying tho!
It's usually resting behind the fretboard. It tires very easily and it sucks. It might be because I have tiny fingers.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
This happened to me when I started, it's all a matter of practice and endurance. Just keep going with it, while stopping when it begins to hurt too much. It will come along eventually.
I have never had my thumb become tired but I remember barre chords used to suck. Eventually after playing enough it just comes naturally. Make sure your hand isn't super tense too.