Title says it all.
2 years ago, I was watching That Metal Show, and they were debating on which solo was better- Crazy Train, or Eruption. I had never heard Eruption (or any Van Halen songs for that matter), so I looked it up. I didn't watch the 1:45 long studio version. Instead, I watched an 11 minute long live version. It was the most insane thing I had ever seen. I had no idea it was possible to do all those things he did on the guitar. From then on, I knew I wanted to learn the guitar, and I especially wanted to learn how to do all the crazy stuff he did. And so, I did. After spending a couple hours on YouTube and here at Ultimate-Guitar, I successfully learned the tapping part of Eruption. The rest, I learned over the next few months.
Last edited by Stratus475 at Oct 23, 2011,
Quote by reversegenesis
So you learnt Eruption within a few hours of picking up a guitar for the first time?

It's really not a hard song, and execution was likely subpar.

I decided to learn when my parents whipped me into it to keep me busy while they got drunk and despised my existence as an anchor for their otherwise comfortable lives
modes are a social construct
My Brother... He played guitar for many years and toured the country with his band. Unfortunately he passed away last year and the idea of his guitars going silent made me sick. I was always profoundly into music, so I decided to teach myself so that the "SG's" would continue to be played and thus a piece of his legacy would go on. I only wish that I could have actually played with him or even spoken to him in depth about guitars.

Since then I have been practicing for hours a day and spending way too much time reading UG posts.
Matt-
Black Gibson SG - Gibson Dirty Fingers Coil Split/ Seymour Duncan 59' HB
Brown Satin Gibson SG - Seymour Duncan Invader
Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat
Epiphone Electric Accoustic
Marshall Valvestate
Fender Mustang II
Boss DS-1
Vox Wah
I've been involved with music almost my entire life, so after playing piano for 15 years and listening to bands like Dream Theater, I was drawn to the guitar.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by reversegenesis
Then say "I learnt the tapping part from eruption".

he pretty much said exactly that in the first post, no need to be a dick

anyways, i picked up the guitar after getting into avenged sevenfold. i already had acoustic so i learned the intro to beast and the harlot and after that i begged my parents to get me an electric and they did and the rest was history
Gear
- Synyster Schecter Standard
- Peavey Vyper 15

I'm currently using Cubase 5 for any recording purposes.
I always wanted to, but I never wanted to ask my parents to buy me a guitar because I always felt guilty when I asked for stuff.

So when I got a job during high school, I saved up some money and bought an Ibanez starter kit, and the rest is history.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
He edited his original post to include that he learnt the tapping, originally it just said he learnt Eruption.
My dad used to play so we always had an acoustic in the living room. It never occured to me that it was something that I could learn to play till I was a teenager and even then it was just curiosity and not a love of music. My dad bought me a cheap nylon string and tried to teach me - which he was pretty terrible at so I forgot it for a year or maybe more till I once again got bored or curious and decided to teach myself some chords. That was about the same time I started really getting into music. I was maybe 14.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by reversegenesis
He edited his original post to include that he learnt the tapping, originally it just said he learnt Eruption.

oh, my apologies then
Gear
- Synyster Schecter Standard
- Peavey Vyper 15

I'm currently using Cubase 5 for any recording purposes.
Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny... after watching it every night it inspired me some how, i guess i wanted an adventure like jabbles and kage had!
I think you can get much more appreciation out of music if you can play it. I'll strum along with anything that strikes my fancy, movies, TV commercials, Taylor Swift, et al.

Why did I start? It was probably the whole paranoid delusions of future rock stardom thing, that pushed me over the brink.

Quote by NewYngwie
Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny... after watching it every night it inspired me some how, i guess i wanted an adventure like jabbles and kage had!
Jack Black should thank God he can play a guitar as well as he does. He surely reeks as a comedian. Sorry for saying that, I have self control issues.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 23, 2011,
Quote by Captaincranky
I think you can get much more appreciation out of music if you can play it. I'll strum along with anything that strikes my fancy, movies, TV commercials, Taylor Swift, et al.

Why did I start? It was probably the whole paranoid delusions of future rock stardom thing, that pushed me over the brink.

Jack Black should thank God he can play a guitar as well as he does. He surely reeks as a comedian. Sorry for saying that, I have self control issues.

lol i actually think he i a pretty good comedian, its just the movies he plays in some times have bad scripts
Quote by reversegenesis

he edited it before you said your little part.
Quote by reversegenesis

And..?

Back to the post, i decided to learn guitar 3 years ago when i was 13 and got guitar hero 3.

Once i got to the end and heard "One" by Metallica i was like "This is what i want to do".

Before that i dident even listen to music, since all i got to hear around my house was mostly swedish pop, and that dident appeal to me that much.

So the video games went away and i got my brothers electric guitar.

Now i got 2 of my own, and i listen to around 400 bands.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
There was an Ibanez sitting around, and I wanted to be Hetfield.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
I honestly had nothing else better to do with my spare time.
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
Ok.. I'll be honest...

I learned the guitar to pick up chicks...

Girls dig guitar players... they did then... and they do now...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
I actually wanted to play bass to be in a band that all of my friends were starting. My dad got me a guitar because he thought they were the same thing (it was a surprise, but he knew I wanted something with strings to play in a rock band). I ended up falling in love with guitar, but I still love playing bass every time I get a chance to play.
My friend had an acoustic guitar that had a really high action and 3 year old rusty strings and he let me play it whenever I came over, which got me interested in learning. I thought that an electric would be too expensive, so I never asked my mom for one. Then one day I was playing Guitar Hero and my mom asked me if I wanted to get a real guitar. I said yes and she got me one.
I heard metal music, I had never heard such stuff before, and I knew I had to learn the guitar. And to pick up chicks
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

I decided to play guita after i saw a Manowar DVD. Although i am not a fan of Manowar, that was the first dvd i cam across where the lifestyle of a rock band was explained.
There was also a solo i the beginning.

I liked the lifestyle and i wanted to tour some day.

After 5 years i managed to do that .

Guitar and music became something like my vocation, i like music and i decided this is what i want to do
You can see the full story here, haha http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/about-me/
at high school everyone was going the a phase of bringing acoustic guitars in (i was 16 at the time, 8 years ago), I just thought it was cool

it wasnt until i left school with no job, that i realised i needed something else to do while drinking beer on the driveway, the rest is history
I started listening to Kiss when I was in the 3rd or 4th grade (yeah I know, I'm old). By the time I was in the 6th grade, I was listening to all the other hard rock bands of the day...Van Halen, Ted Nugent, AC/DC, Aerosmith, etc., and my parents hated all of it. When other classmates started getting saxophones, trombones, and such, I asked my parents if I could get a trumpet. Both my older brother and sister had tried the school band thing, and had not stuck with it, so my parents said no. I really wanted a guitar, but figured that since they hated the music I listened to, and they wouldn't let me have a trumpet, there was no way in hell that they would let me have a guitar.
Fast-forward to my senior year in high school - I still wanted one so bad, and I had been really getting into Randy Rhoads and Michael Schenker. Now I didn't just want a guitar...I needed one. I had some money saved up, and asked my parents if I could buy a guitar. To my utter amazement, they were like, sure no problem. They didn't think I would stay with it, but 30 years later, I've been to music school, teaching and playing professionally for the past 20+ years. Take that Mom and Dad!
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
my dad bought me a guitar for christmass and I didn't want to seem ungrateful...
but then i realized how Awesome it was! \m/
Quote by thetalonguy
My Brother... He played guitar for many years and toured the country with his band. Unfortunately he passed away last year and the idea of his guitars going silent made me sick. I was always profoundly into music, so I decided to teach myself so that the "SG's" would continue to be played and thus a piece of his legacy would go on. I only wish that I could have actually played with him or even spoken to him in depth about guitars.

Since then I have been practicing for hours a day and spending way too much time reading UG posts.
I was very moved by this story. Thanks. There is a song in there somewhere man!

For me, Ive wanted to play for a long time. All my favorite music is dominated by great guitar play. Hendrix, Alice in Chains, Sabbath, Zep, Chili Peppers, Beatles, Soundgarden (just to name a few)... then I got divorced and started seeing more live music. I used to see this old black man in the village named Michael Powers. He played at Terra Blues on Bleeker street and always gave a killer show. He would play his own stuff, he would play covers and I was just moved by his emotion and connection with his instrument and I had to feel that.

The thing that really motivated me is I still play on an amatuer baseball team and I pitch, but at 36 (two years ago) I could feel the break down setting in. I didnt want to stop playing ball and have to figure out what to do next. Giving up full contact football and only playing baseball was tough enough. I just didnt want to be a 45 year old softball player who talked about how good he was at real sports when he was younger. I figured guitar would be a nice transition:
Get out of domestic-land to hang with other dudes: check
Something as challengin as throwing strikes and getting out hitters: check
Creative physical outlet: check
Enhance (music) something I love already: CHECK

Its been so great. I just love playing and jamming and learning. Nothing beats trying to play something I gave up on a few months ago because I wasnt good enough yet and nailing it. Nothing beats just practicing by my lonesome, and "stumbling" on some cool chord progression and just jamming on it. Nothing beats using a song as a template to jam with guys, and even though your playing a song your making it your own. Its pretty awesome on every level.
he of tranquil mind
i saw a video with randy rhoads playing mr crowley, 2 years later i still can't play the solo, slowly getting there
Guitars : Jackson king v js30,xpt 700,bc rich bich,'76 ibanez les paul copy
Gear: Mt-2,avt 150h head cab,Randall RH50,Pod XT Pro
Quote by reversegenesis
Then say "I learnt the tapping part from eruption".

^^^ FAIL

I decided to learn guitar when I was a kid because I heard Master of Puppets on the radio in the car. At the time I thought it was the coolest thing I ever heard. Too bad Metallica sucks now. Also, guitar is the most beautiful sound in the world.
Quote by mdc
I didn't choose guitar playing....it chose me. Lol

Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
i always wanted to play even as a kid i would take a badminton racket and rock out with it. My parents thought it was a phase and always just said no to piano lessons or guitar lessons, and instead wanted me to focus more on school. To be honest anything would of been fine when i was about 15 i tried saving up for a guitar but didn't realize what i should get acoustic or electric, thinking they were polar opposites and i wouldn't be able to play what i wanted on either, plus i was kinda scared away when i walked into the music store and saw the wall of guitars and all were $400+(didnt notice the squires back then.) I was jobless and hopeless, so i pretty much gave up until i was 19. My girlfriend at the time got me a guitar for christmas and i was completely psyched, i took it home and without tuning ( didnt know i had to tune the thing) jumped online and started trying to learn. First song i ever learned was ode to joy and then birthday song, when i finally realized i had to tune the darn thing and got myself a tuner i moved onto day tripper then smells like teen spirit and so forth. I've improved a WHOLE lot since then but still kinda suck. Still stickin to the hobby my rents are still kind of against it and think i should be putting my time towards my premed classes.
Last edited by zamanakhan at Oct 25, 2011,
Quote by Briyan_15
he edited it before you said your little part.

I posted at 11:43, he edited at 11:48.