I'm 15 years old and all of my friends who play the guitar have been playing for years, but I'd love to give it a shot. I've always loved the art of guitar playing from a listeners perspective and I'd like to see if I'm any good. I also need something to concentrate on other than computers, and I think this might be a positive focus for me.

My main question is.. am I too old? Have I missed the boat?

When I pass my first exam in sixth form and I go up and get my Grade 2 certificate, is that embarrassing?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I thought this most appropriate as I'm not really interested in the acoustic guitar.
not at all, Dave Grohl didnt start playing guitar til after Nirvana and hes not too bad
You should be interested in acoustic. If your good at acoustic it will make your electric playing better. Go for bro, pick up the guitar and rock out.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
15...too late? What? No.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
You should be interested in acoustic. If your good at acoustic it will make your electric playing better. Go for bro, pick up the guitar and rock out.

I'm not much older and I started at 13....don't think I turned out *too* bad .
Don't listen to ^^, many people here started on electric, myself included, and there's no need to start on acoustic if you like electric better. You're not restricted to one and I hardly play my acoustic.

Go for it, many people at our age (at least at my school) haven't been playing for more than 2 years or so.

Welcome to UG!
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Seriously young dudester... 15 isn't 'too late' for anything except maybe relieving yourself in your pants in public.

Jokes aside, 'Too Late' is just a more depressing way of saying "I can't" and the word can't shouldn't even be in your vocabulary. Heck it shouldn't even be a word. As they say, where there is a will there is a way. An important part to actually living life is one simple rule. ALWAYS respect your limitations but NEVER be a slave to them. The day you stop trying to learn and improve is the day you stop living. So no, its never too late to try anything... and I do mean anything.

The one and ONLY thing that separates genius from insanity is success. Because only the crazies and the daringly curious can look at the impossible and think "I can do it." So if anyone wants to call you crazy for trying ANYTHING you tell them "No, I sir and/or madam am NOT crazy. I am just a genius who hasn't succeeded yet." -insert dramatic pause here- "Yet being the operative word in that statement." And just keep trying as long as you have the will and desire to do so.
Quote by Doomhappy

Jokes aside, 'Too Late' is just a more depressing way of saying "I can't" and the word can't shouldn't even be in your vocabulary. Heck it shouldn't even be a word. As they say, where there is a will there is a way. An important part to actually living life is one simple rule. ALWAYS respect your limitations but NEVER be a slave to them. The day you stop trying to learn and improve is the day you stop living. So no, its never too late to try anything... and I do mean anything.

The one and ONLY thing that separates genius from insanity is success. Because only the crazies and the daringly curious can look at the impossible and think "I can do it." So if anyone wants to call you crazy for trying ANYTHING you tell them "No, I sir and/or madam am NOT crazy. I am just a genius who hasn't succeeded yet." -insert dramatic pause here- "Yet being the operative word in that statement." And just keep trying as long as you have the will and desire to do so.

Nice pep talk sir.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I started taking it seriously when I was about 13 or 14... that means 197??? Lets just say a long time... I've played with a lot of guys that started a whole lot later than you, and they could blow me away... Learn as much as you can when you can, and Play as much as you want.

Don't ever get good

Always get better...

2 cents
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
man, im fifteen now. i started playing nine months ago, and now im jamming with these guys whove played for years. who gives a shit when you get a grade 2 certificate - they actually arent necessary at all ( i play clarinet, and im grade 5 in two years, on par with my friends ).

it doesnt matter when you start playing, but if you really enjoy it thats all that matters. dont let anybody else tell you otherwise, no matter how shit you are

i can only offer you one more piece of advice - actually start with electric - callouses form faster, and youre not limited by twelve frets.
and also, the fact that you starting means that in a few months they'd take you on in a band as rhythm guitar. possibly. work at it. open/bar/powerchords. do lead - guns n roses have some easy stuff - ie dead horse and dont cry. van halen - running with the devil etc.

go hard
I was over 20 when I started. 15 seems pretty common. I thought I was too old at first too, but it's never too late to learn. Now, I can't imagine not playing. It's a great way to be creative, learn new things and above all else, have fun.
Quote by Mr Ime
not at all, Dave Grohl didnt start playing guitar til after Nirvana and hes not too bad

He played guitar before he switched to drums

It's never too late to start TS, i know some oldr guys who didn't start until their mid thirties.
Quote by Most_Triumphant

This isn't necessarily true.

If you want to play electric, play electric. Acoustic is generally the cheaper option (for a beginner.)
Quote by Doomhappy
Seriously young dudester... 15 isn't 'too late' for anything except maybe relieving yourself in your pants in public.

Secondeded.

I started playing guitar at 17 and I'm doing fine for myself.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.