In my band the style of music my bands doing sounds better with a pick, but i hate picks is ther a way i can make it sound like i have a pick but i can still go thinger styel?
Don't use a pick. Be a man and play with your fingers. They are called GUITAR PICKS for a Reason
Quote by bass94
Don't use a pick. Be a man and play with your fingers. They are called GUITAR PICKS for a Reason
Inb4 Bass GUITAR

Thar you are.
My sig? Nice.
i am not using a pick i hate picks but like the sound and we need a clean punchy bass tone like a pick
Hey there, I find an amazing

Hey there, I find an amazing web,please click the web ,you can find big pleasantly surprised
Links removed by mod.
First off ^Reported

Second off can you just use a thumb pick? or are you against any pick at all ever. What music do you play?
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
ESP LTD EX-360
Peavey VYPYR 30W

"There's nothing constant in the universe.
All ebb and flow, and every shape that's born,
bears in it's womb, the seeds of change".
Second off can you just use a thumb pick? or are you against any pick at all ever. What music do you play?
i never heard of those can i still use my fingers with them
I'm going to assume that thumb picking is where you angle your hand over the body as you would with guitar and pick with the bridge of your thumb.

There is nothing wrong with using a pick, it only adds to your versatility. If you are doing it for the tone, not the ease of playing, then that's fine. Look at Chris Squire, fantastic bass player, uses a pick - it really doesn't matter.
[Insert something clever here]
Pick near the bridge, or crank up the high mids (if possible) and treble on your EQ. Maybe use a tiny bit of overdrive to emphasize the overtones, something along the lines of a Sansamp Bass Driver would be good.

Quote by andreww1996
i never heard of those can i still use my fingers with them

Yes - those go on your thumb so you could still do fingerstyle with your index, middle, etc.
Professional lurker since 2009.
Last edited by technoguyx at Oct 23, 2011,
thumb pick like a banjo or classical style guitar player. Or use your index finger nail like a pick. or EQ like everyone else said.

What's your bands style of your bands music anyways? as you put it
Anyone who says not to use a pick because it's "wrong" is a dribbling moron that needs to grow up.

If you want a pick sound while still playing finger style, look at the way Banjo players wear their finger picks. They (we) have them bent over the tip of the finger back towards the nail, effectively turning the tip of your finger to metal. You get an incredibly bright sound and strong attack on Bass this way.
And any person who can't learn to switch between pick and fingers, clearly needs to get their head out of the respective hole they've dug themselves in musically.

In other words, if its good enough for Chris Squire, I think the rest of us can adapt.
As already suggested, you could use a fingerpick (or more than one of them):

I suppose you could grow your fingernails and thumbnail to pick as do classical guitarists, but if you really like that sharp attack, then just adapt to using a pick.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Another thing worth mentioning, is that you could also hit hard on the strings right over the P-Bass pickup, like Steve Harris does. Make sure to have your tone knob high, like on 5 or above.
Quote by FatalGear41
As already suggested, you could use a fingerpick (or more than one of them):

I suppose you could grow your fingernails and thumbnail to pick as do classical guitarists, but if you really like that sharp attack, then just adapt to using a pick.

Ohh! I haven't seen finger picks quite like that before. I'd love to try them. The ones I use are solid, they don't have the hole in them. Mind you, Banjo picks aren't so easy to get in the UK. So far I have only found one supplier of plastic thumb picks with a metal hoop. You can get all metal or all plastic, just not the mixed ones.
I got some finger picks once but they were way too big for me. My hands are tiny. But I occasionally use the smallest of them on my thumb and it works pretty well so +1 for finger picks.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Suck it up.

Learn to play with a pick.

Realise it isn't as easy as you think.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Just learn to play with a pick. What's the harm in learning another style?
i will try these things guys thanks i all else fails i will try to finde a pick in my house somewher
Quote by andreww1996
i will try these things guys thanks i all else fails i will try to finde a pick in my house somewher

Picks are pretty cheap, you could always actually buy some
Quote by technoguyx
Picks are pretty cheap, you could always actually buy some

yah i could but i have a 100 laying, around my parents bought the bass and thought i would use the picks lol