I've been playing guitar for a loooooong time, and I'm pretty sure I've always held my pick like this and had no problem playing most songs. But recently I've noticed more and more that everyone in the world seems to hold their pick a completely different way. When I tried to learn pinch harmonics awhile back I found it way more difficult than it should've been and it still sounds bad. I also worked my butt off trying to learn to sweep pick and still NEVER got it right. I can't help but be paranoid that it could be my way of holding the pick. It's either that or I'm just no good at pinch harmonics or sweep picking. What do you guys think? And what is your advice?
Attachments:
1023112016-00.jpg
Last edited by fatherofliesnb at Oct 23, 2011,
How I was told/showed was to keep your thumb the way it is, but on the back side of the pick, the top part of the first segment of your index finger should be facing down towards the point of the pick and be horizontal with your thumb.
Last edited by Cntryblows at Oct 23, 2011,
Yea man I used to hold it like that and dropped my pick frequently. When my uncle had me switch to the method mentioned above I rarely drop my pick when playing normally.
Gretsch 5120
Fender Jazzmaster
MIM Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Misc Pedals
It's all preference. Everyone I know likes to have an anchor and stuff, and hold their pick with two fingers, but I use three fingers and have my hand all balled up.
yeah i mean the way i hold it is comfortable and all, i just think it's keeping me from being able to sweep pick and do pinch harmonics and what not. or am i just being paranoid? lol
Quote by fatherofliesnb
yeah i mean the way i hold it is comfortable and all, i just think it's keeping me from being able to sweep pick and do pinch harmonics and what not. or am i just being paranoid? lol

well I would hope that you're choking up on it when you do pinch harmonics
GEAR
Squier Strat

Custom Audio Electronics MC404 CAE Wah
MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss RC-3 Looper

Marshall JVM 205C
Quote by ac/dcfan5000
well I would hope that you're choking up on it when you do pinch harmonics

well yeah i do have to sort of adjust it to pull off pinch harmonics but idk it still feels like it's harder than it should be lol
ugh trying to hold it the other way makes it so weird to play lol, should i just force myself to play like this until it becomes habit?
Dont listen to the first dudes.
There is no WRONG or RIGHT way to hold the pick.

If it isnt hurting or buling tension do it however you want.
Only change your picking habit if you dont like how it feels or how it sounds.

How many hours have you been trying to sweep pick like that?