Okay, so, I usually practice my singing a capella. And it's pretty good. But then, I put in the music, and I get lost. Really lost. I'm way lower than the actual note, and I just seem to dart around the one I'm looking for. Today, I decided I'll put the music in again and see how it goes, except I'm pretty nervous because every time I put the music in it blew and I gave up! So anyway, I did it this time and I was missing my notes for a while, but then I settled in and started getting to them.

Here's my questions:

*Is finding your notes in music something you just have to practice?

*Are nerves the leading factor here like I think they are?

-Cowless, one jittery, self-conscious dude.
I'm the same way dude, or at least I was. For me, I just kept listening to a song over and over again until I could get the notes perfect or extremely close to perfect. I think it's just a matter of practice.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
cowless, when we don't have music we lack the relative pitch required to know if we are actually on key and correct. Training helps alleviate this but the most likely conclusion that I can draw is that you are truly that off at all times.

Many folks think they are singing in key a capella and find out later they are indeed way off. The great thing about this is that you can fix it with a piano/keyboard/guitar and lots of practice.

my .02 cents brudda. Best of luck finding your answers
It started to self correct near the end of my practice, so I feel pretty okay. It didn't really take long.
Quote by merriman44
cowless, when we don't have music we lack the relative pitch required to know if we are actually on key and correct. Training helps alleviate this but the most likely conclusion that I can draw is that you are truly that off at all times.

Many folks think they are singing in key a capella and find out later they are indeed way off. The great thing about this is that you can fix it with a piano/keyboard/guitar and lots of practice.

my .02 cents brudda. Best of luck finding your answers

I totally agree. I once was singing a song acapella for fun, and when I checked with a piano I had actually gotten off by an entire step without even realizing it.

The same happened to my sister's high school choir. They would sing a song (I think it was in B) acapella in rehearsal, and then at the end the director would play the key they ended in and they key they were *supposed* to be in.

As far as singing in key with a song and hitting the right notes, you'll be accurate a lot quicker if you practice with the music instead of without, so you can learn to stay in the right key. If you keep practicing it acapella, you'll just train your brain to sing it inaccurate.

Sounds like you're figuring it out already though, so keep it up. Just sing with the music more often than not in the future, and you're gold.
Cheers.