For the 12 Major/Minor keys in music C G D A E B F# Db Ab Eb Bb F can you play all the power chords ? Like in the key of C you play all the power chords from C to B and same goes for all the other keys. Hope you understand what I am asking here
I believe that power chords are keyless. I may be wrong though
Not exactly a frequent poster.
if you are doing this strictly by the scales, in a major key you can play all notes as power chords except for the 7th, where the fifth is the tritone, but it would work out fine musically if you were to use a power chord on the 7th anyway.
BC Rich Warlock 81/85 Floyd Rose
Strat copy
J-Bass copy
Pre-1933 Olds Bass Trombone (G/F Triggers)
UWT Inc. Ukulele
Ibanez TK999HT Tube King Distortion
Digitech RP70
Currently, only with a Fender Frontman 25R

"We'll do it live"
You can play any note at any time.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Yes, as long as the root of the power chord is diatonic. with the exception of the major 7th. on the seventh scale degree, the chord is diminished, so the fifth is flat.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by Demon Wolf
I got a similar thing from playing too much Pokemon.

Magikarpal tunnel.
Edit: ^ they all basically got it.
you can, it wont sound good.
if you're in Cmajor, then you (theoretically) can play C,D,E,F,G and A power chords. B is a diminished power chord (Root (B), flat 5(F)) because it builds up from the notes of C as B Locrian, making a 1/2dim chord. there's no rules saying you can't do any of this, it just wont be very musical.

so in short: you can, but if you followed the general laws of music theory it won't sound good. So in Cmajor if you play a Gb Power chord it won't really sound good unless you take that somewhere, and say modulate a key, or else it will sound something like ass.

someone will probably correct me if i'm wrong, but that should be enough help.
Okay yes my bad there. It can be played just was more thinking about according to the rules of music.

So playing all the notes in a scale as power chords expect the 7th ,which is the diminished of any scale, is okay and won't sound crap ?
Quote by BlazinRay
Okay yes my bad there. It can be played just was more thinking about according to the rules of music.

So playing all the notes in a scale as power chords expect the 7th ,which is the diminished of any scale, is okay and won't sound crap ?

There are no rules in music. All that matters is whether or not it sounds good.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
It all depends really what you're playing too.. some metal you could hit a flat 5th or minor 2nd power chord and it would sound good. just experiment, theory is meant to explain what you hear, not assign rules to what you play
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
Quote by tunamelt
I believe that power chords are keyless. I may be wrong though

They're keyless in the way that anything else is keyless, as in you can play any note in any note, provided you know how to do it.
But a power chord isn't really keyless in the same way that nothing is keyless. If you're playing in E minor, playing an F5 power chord would be out of key, as F doesn't fall in the key of E minor.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Never thought of that. Good to know. I guess that's why you can pump out generic drop D riffs like nobodies business.