I'm looking for my first 7 at the moment. Price range is up to $650 US. Willing to go used, Boston MA area.
I'm looking to do progressive metal/melodic death metal on this guitar.

I'd much prefer passives on this guitar since I'm likely to swap for some Dimarzios later and rewiring is not a choice activity for me.
As for why it has to be a Hipshot or a TOM: it's because plain flatmount bridges actually hurt my hand when I palm mute (assuming the action screws are sticking out above the saddles) and frankly I think they look ugly.
This is without mentioning that I've had issues with the saddles kind of exploding everywhere on similar trem bridges (read as: vintage stye strat bridges) when I take the strings off.

Specs I'd like outside of the ones mentioned:
small neck heel - sculpted bolt on or neck through/carved set neck is fine.
Long scale (26.5-27") though a 25.5" is fine too.
string through body
Superstrat shape (carved top?)
Not a Schecter, I hate the necks on those.

Thanks!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
you're only guitar in that price range is either an agile or an ibanez rgd.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Ah, I forgot about the RGDs. They have the Gibraltar? Agile doesn't really have very many passive 7s (I counted 3 or 4) but if I were to get an active one it'd be a Septor Pro 727 in Tribal Blue.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Maybe a cheap Stephen Carpenter (ESP) sig? They all have EMGs I think, but I think other than that it should have some pretty sweet specs. I just did a quick eBay search and I can buy an SC607B for around $750 AU so in US you should be able to find one a fair bit cheaper.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
It would likely be very easy to get something with EMGs, sell them on eBay with pots and jack, and buy some Dimarzio pickups from an Ibanez(the ones referred to a "Blaze", though I don't think they actually are). Then spend $10 more on CTS pots and a mono jack.
^I could do that but then I need to ask do EMG's have that much of a different rout that I'd need to change something?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
^I could do that but then I need to ask do EMG's have that much of a different rout that I'd need to change something?

Now that I don't know. I've heard something about 7 string EMGs being an odd shape, perhaps a little larger. That probably deserves it's own thread.