Which do you think is better in terms of success? Is it better to write and release all of the musical material you can, including some not-so-great songs, or even total crap? Or will that put a damper on your band's image? Are there any benefits to being extra selective about what songs you put on and leave off of your albums? Is it important for starting bands specifically to choose one method over the other? Discuss.

EDIT: Oops, meant to put it in Musician Talk. Mods feel free to move it. Until then, I'd like to see what The Pit says too
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Last edited by bingeandletgo at Oct 23, 2011,
I know that I personally have a hard time spending time on something that I've created -- be it music or something written (lyrics, poetry, etc.) -- if I don't absolutely think it's good.

So I would only release stuff that I liked.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Conservation. Too many bands make a bad name for themselves by releasing music before they're really ready.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
Think of it this way, if you release a bunch of crap, then people have to filter through it and might not ever hear the good ones.
Quote by StewieSwan
Conservation. Too many bands make a bad name for themselves by releasing music before they're really ready.

I know anecdotal evidence is frowned upon in the Pit, but I actually have two really good examples that demonstrate Stewie's point.

1) One of my friends from high school started this terrible metalcore band called Lenore when he was 14. They released like 3 EPs of terribly generic music, and constantly gigged at the same 3 or 4 venues, with the same setlist, for 4 years. Then, they released an LP of prog, gigged for about 2 months and broke up.

Very few people realized that the LP was amazing because Lenore had saturated the scene with music of unremarkable quality; the album didn't sell many copies. Had they not broken up, they were looking at tour opportunities opening for the Acacia Strain and A Life Once Lost, based solely on this one LP. It didn't matter though, since nobody wanted to see them locally anymore.

2) Cynic are one of the most respected prog outfits in the world. They've released less than 30 songs since forming in the late 80s. If you don't count their demos, the song count goes down to 21, 4 of which are remakes. We hear the best they have to offer instead of filler.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
quantity. why not? what you deem releasable will probably change in ten years anyway. why not just release everything with that knowledge?

my band was highly selective about songs. we were very particular about what each song would sound like and everything about the album. guess what? there were still songs the audience didn't respond to and still songs we grew tired of. might as well throw it all out there. you never know what people will like. samuel barber hated adagio for strings. he thought it was bumfluff basically that he just winged for a dedication to some family member. and now it's the piece he's most known for and a piece that has had an effect on the public (at the very least, the movie-going public).
#DTWD
Weezer is a band that has a prolific catalogue, and a ton of it is base crap... But there's enough gold for me to make a decent playlist, should I choose to do so. If you're good at writing tons of stuff for everyone, write tons of stuff for everyone. If you write a fair amount of stuff that's generally seen as good and a fair amount of stuff that's generally seen as utter shit, consider weeding through your material and collecting the best.

EDIT: Lol, I remember Lenore. We had them at one of the BotB's that no one ever attended.
Last edited by L2112Lif at Oct 24, 2011,
Quote by primusfan
quantity. why not? what you deem releasable will probably change in ten years anyway. why not just release everything with that knowledge?

imagine dark side of the moon with 10 filler tracks
well, torches by foster the people is perfect, so there really are some perfect artists...
but with starting artists, it's good to release a very modern sounding single or EP so they can get heard with no trouble, then release a wide range of what they like. once they get a large feedback on what people like, then do that.
so a combination of both really, but i'm probably going to be proven wrong.
Quote by L2112Lif
DSotM is all filler in comparison to Animals or Echoes.

so hip,man
Wow, a lot of convincing arguments for both sides! Anyone else?
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

You have to set a standard, a precedent. This what happens I think with bands throughout the course of their career. With a debut you have years and years of material and gather the ones you feel strongest represent you. As times goes on, you just lump songs on an album because you know them. You must be meticulous in your craft if you care. If you are a starting band go quality ; all the time. Because if you don't it's basically telling the fan base

"Look our songs are good right now, but give us some time we're just playing everything we know and soon we'll right GOOD stuff"

It makes no sense. Write good solid music all the time. Just don't Axl Rose with it and take a decade and a half on one album.
Quality > quantity. Triviums newest album "in waves" is over-saturated with songs. 18 is just too much for a single album.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!