I've never actually written an entire song before. They've all been single lines, or maybe verses/choruses. I was just wondering what you guys thought may be useful about writing a full song? Thanks.(:
a Full song is no clear definition, you can make a song out of one single line if you've got imagination... and balls.

the tip I'll tell you probably won't help you much, but write as it comes. If you think it doesn't come, it's because you are negating your inspiration. It may come all weird, with no complete sentence, rhyme, structure, but it's from you. And that's a pretty good tip if you're into experimental stuff
Force yourself to finish a few songs, even if they suck. After they're done you can change the parts you don't like. It'll help you figure out how to develop ideas, but if you just keep writing song fragments that never go anywhere, then you'll just get good at making fragments.
Last edited by 37 Narwhals at Oct 24, 2011,
Quote by Omega Cluster
a Full song is no clear definition, you can make a song out of one single line if you've got imagination... and balls.

Yea, a "full song" could be one line repeated with slight changes, or it could be 1398169471 different lines in one song...

I'll usually piece together a full song in one of two ways:
the first part i wrote that sparked inspiration, I'll jam on it for awhile and think "what should come next?" and just think of what naturally transitions best from it.
Or.
Many parts I've written that don't have a "home" yet (meaning I haven't put them in a song) and they sound good with other homeless parts.

Usually for me, the first will get better results, but I've written both ways
So essentially, just force myself to finish them regardless of how bad they may be? Then work on the parts I don't to make them better?