So what would you guys recommend I put into my Epiphone Les Paul? I bought the Zakk Wylde custom Epiphone a few months ago, and am not a huge fan of the EMG HZ pickups it came with, so I'm looking to replace those. I was thinking at first to just go with the classic EMG 81/85, but I want to see if anyone has some better ideas. I play mainly rock and metal.
Quote by The Vickshow
So what would you guys recommend I put into my Epiphone Les Paul? I bought the Zakk Wylde custom Epiphone a few months ago, and am not a huge fan of the EMG HZ pickups it came with, so I'm looking to replace those. I was thinking at first to just go with the classic EMG 81/85, but I want to see if anyone has some better ideas. I play mainly rock and metal.

First upgrading to the active EMG's requires a complete wiring change, FYI. I don't know if you are looking to do the work or have someone pay to have it done.

Secondly what is your amp currently? Amp tone has a much bigger influence on overall tone before pickups.

3rd, what is your budget? We can suggest some expensive brands of pickups or some good budget ones.

For metal, there are several Bareknuckles that are superb. Painkillers, Nailbombs, Warpigs, or Aftermaths.
WCR's have some pairs that work well in LP's.
Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio also have some good pairings.

It all really depends on what you are looking to achieve and what you are willing to pay.
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Oct 24, 2011,
Jb/59.
- Schecter C-1 Classic
- Fender Hot Rod Tweed Deluxe
- Crybaby->EBVPJr->TU-2->TS9->OCD->NS-2->DD-20->DL4->RV-5
I knew about the wiring change, I'm going to have whichever store I get them from install the pickups for me.

Currently using a Spider IV 30

My budget is about $100 per pickup plus the costs of having them installed.
Quote by The Vickshow
I knew about the wiring change, I'm going to have whichever store I get them from install the pickups for me.

Currently using a Spider IV 30

My budget is about $100 per pickup plus the costs of having them installed.

Then you'd just be wasting $200....spend it on booze and hookers instead.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

best advice ever given on this forum.

EDIT: To expand on that... The most likely reason you're not happy with your tone is that the solid state spider series amps are generally digital sounding crap. Upgrading pickups will do very little to improve your tone. I used to have the same amp, and I had a schecter with EMG's... they sounded like utter shit through the spider. Everything sounded like utter shit through that amp.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Oct 24, 2011,
Gibson '57s
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
Quote by steven seagull

good hookers cost a fair bit more than that.

i mean, you can probably get a hooker for that, but her tone is gonna suck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
good hookers cost a fair bit more than that.

i mean, you can probably get a hooker for that, but her tone is gonna suck.

Admittedly you're not going to get a tube hooker, but there's some decent solid-state ones about.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
TS, your amp is a beginner amp, and well... it's lousy. New pups will do very little for you long as you're using that amp. Naturally, an upgrade here will likely cost you more than a new set of pups, but it'll be worth it (even if you'd have to save for a while to afford it).

We can recommend some stuff if you like.

Quote by Darkflame
^hookers and amps are kind of opposite...

In this case, you want it to suck.

ba-dum, tsh!
Quote by steven seagull
Admittedly you're not going to get a tube hooker, but there's some decent solid-state ones about.

the ones with tubes are the ones i'd avoid.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^agreed. And as long as there is enough booze the quality doen't so much matter.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by gregs1020
the ones with tubes are the ones i'd avoid.

In an odd turn around though, I bet the ones with tubes are much cheaper than the solid states...