I have a Fender starcaster and an sp amp and ive been playing for 8 months and ive been attempting (and failing) 2 things, Sweep picking which is what I really need help with. And tabbing by ear, which is something that cant really be taught, but I really want to know how to sweep pick, so can anyone spare any tips? am staring with the most basic scale which is 14G, 13B, 12E, 14E,13B,12G. and i just cant seem to get the speed down i can do it mediocre slow and ive been practicing this for months and i just cant seem to get it down
If you've been playing for 8 months don't get mad when you cant sweep. I cant even sweep very well and I've been playing for 4 years.
i worked on sweeps like 3 hrs a day for about 6 months to get them down solid. at 8 months of playing i could not have dreamed of sweeping. its gonna take time. and just being able to do them is only half the battle once you learn them you have to try to incorporate them into your music it sucks...
Quote by bendystraw
Fifty bucks says you're fat.
Quote by TheEmoStrangler
i worked on sweeps like 3 hrs a day for about 6 months to get them down solid. at 8 months of playing i could not have dreamed of sweeping. its gonna take time. and just being able to do them is only half the battle once you learn them you have to try to incorporate them into your music it sucks...

+1

if you are really eager to sweep then do the math and try to put 3 hours more than emostrangler a day, 6 hours of sweeping every day should get you results in around half the time.
Sounds odd but trying adding another string to your sweep (as in 15,14,13,12). I say this because personally I find 3 string sweeps the hardest of the lot, but maybe that's just because I practiced 5 for longer.
I wrote a guide about sweep picking on my site.

http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/guitar-technique/sweep-picking-exercises/

I tried to be as detailed as i could in explaining the process.

Read it and i bet i will help you.

The problem with sweep picking is that those who struggle with it are usually those who try to play arpeggios as fast a they can from the start.

Concerning muscle memory this is a very bad habit.
Sweeping's just another technique to put in your arsenal really. I've been playing about 8-9 years, started practicing sweeping maybe 18 months ago. Took me maybe a year to nail it.

The problem is it's very hard to find a good sweeping song to practice to, that's 'catchy' (right word?) enough for you to not mind playing it over and over again. I got bored of failing to sweep pretty quickly, so didn't do much dedicated practice on sweeping alone.

The way I've found with most techniques is that suddenly they just 'click' and go from being maybe 30% proficient at the skill to about 80% in a day or two. Once you've done that, practicing becomes easier and more fun and while you don't get another 'click' moment, you've got enough skill to be able to practice fun stuff that's gonna make you better.

Last sweeping tip: a bit like what's already been said: try sweeps on different strings, try different patterns, and also try patterns that don't have the hammer/pull-off on the highest string, as it's a different wrist movement that I'm still not quite there with.

Tabbing by ear: comes with experience of playing, really. You just get a feel of roughly where a particular note is on the fretboard, and from picking the guitar up cold it might take two or three tries tops to find that exact note you've been hearing in your head. A muscle-memory knowledge of scales also helps as it also 'teaches' your fingers the intervals so once you've found your starting note it'll be difficult to go too wrong after that.

Hope that helps
Quote by Standarduser
In what areas does sweep picking helps you?

Try to alternate pick 1 note per string at 240bpm in 8th triplets and you'll see.. It's a more efficient way of playing arpeggios that would be very difficult if not impossible to play at high speeds. It also has more of a legato feel, so sounds smoother than alt picking would.
Thank you all for the helpful information i'll be sure to use the guides and strategies posted and ill try to practice the sweeps more. And one more question. Would any of you all reccomend a schecter synyster custom? I have a standard beginner amp and i need to know, should i get the guitar or a better amp first? Thanks to everyone for their help