Poll: Do libraries encourage intellectual property theft?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do libraries encourage intellectual property theft?
Yes
10 10%
No
89 90%
Voters: 99.
Page 1 of 2
Do they? Anyone can go to a library, sign up, and then borrow plenty of things without paying for them. They could burn CD's to their computer, read lots of books covering a wide variety of topics, study the academic journals on offer, look through the news archives, so on and so forth, and all of this is effectively free. The people who generated all this stuff see next to no revenue from the repeated use of their creations.

So, do you think libraries encourage the theft of intellectual property?
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
No. Nobody uses them anymore.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Libraries are gay.

Quote by neidnarb11890
Property is theft.

Hippie scum.
Check out my band Disturbed
My library smells like cabbage because the homeless smell like cabbage and there are often homeless people in the library.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
I suppose, after all, borrowing the CD's is free and I don't know anyone who borrows library CD's and doesn't burn them.
NOT EASILY LED, EASILY BANNED.
Quote by DonGlover
My library smells like cabbage because the homeless smell like cabbage and there are often homeless people in the library.

There are homeless people in Canada?
Quote by Lagunaguitar
There are homeless people in Canada?

Lots. Lots and lots. Particularly in bigger cities.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
I wouldn't say they're encouraging the theft of intellectual property, they're just making it available. You're not really supposed to go home and copy the CD's, just like you're not supposed to shoplift even though you probably could.
I kind of get what you're aiming at when it comes to books and their repeated use. I do think it's true that the authors get no revenue, but libraries do pay a lot more than normal price for their books.
REGGIE
No. It's the same as buying a book and letting a friend borrow it. That's all libraries do
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by captaincrunk
Way more people use the library than download torrents.

This is because books can still be hard as shit to find on the internet.
Quote by Avedas

i experienced this tonight. RIP term paper grade.
Depends on how many pubes you can find in the book you want.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by izbbass
No. It's the same as buying a book and letting a friend borrow it. That's all libraries do

How are torrents any different?
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
in a sense, yes because they offer use of someone elses creation without compensating them. I don't give the slightest shit about intellectual property though, would be an interesting thing to ask strong defenders of it though.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Libraries only spread the product of these people's work around. I'm certain that the authors of the books and people on the CDs don't mind their work being shared with the public; after all, that's why they wrote it. Plus, it's not really stealing, because the people who check it out do have to return it eventually, and it's not like people generally copy each page of a book very often.

blah blah blah, I'm pretty tired, but no. Libraries don't encourage "intellectual property theft."
I think it's time for a change.

Sig v5.0 (approximate)
Public libraries usually get books by donation right? So the original owner no longer owns the book/CD (unlike torrents). Whether you make a copy of it or not is another issue. And besides, taxes pay for public services such as the library (at least last time I checked).
My Set-Up Thus Far:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard (ebony)
-Fender DeVille Hot Rod 112
-BOSS Grunge pedal

BAYSIDE IS A CULT
No, they encourage the dissemination of knowledge. I don't know how libraries work, but I guess they don't just buy a book or some other media, they have to have permission from the owner/publisher to have the item.
It's meant as a way for people to have access to knowledge, especially those who can't afford to buy books and stuff. They are a resource for the poorer classes to have a means to better themselves.

But, things have changed since public libraries were first introduced. A lot of learning can be done on the Internet, and certainly torrenting/burning/piracy has changed things. It'd be nice to discuss the role of the public library in our time.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
This just in... Metallica shuts down local libraries for "gay intellectual property theft"
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by rockingamer2
No, they encourage the dissemination of knowledge. I don't know how libraries work, but I guess they don't just buy a book or some other media, they have to have permission from the owner/publisher to have the item.
It's meant as a way for people to have access to knowledge, especially those who can't afford to buy books and stuff. They are a resource for the poorer classes to have a means to better themselves.

But, things have changed since public libraries were first introduced. A lot of learning can be done on the Internet, and certainly torrenting/burning/piracy has changed things. It'd be nice to discuss the role of the public library in our time.

Also this
I think it's time for a change.

Sig v5.0 (approximate)
intellectual property theft? retarded.

Knowledge should be easy to obtain. What kind of bullshit society would be against that...

Dumb question TS.

Quote by DonGlover
Lots. Lots and lots. Particularly in bigger cities.

To be fair, I doubt Windsor represents all of Canada.
Quote by Avedas

Not doing it right
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Cianyx
Not doing it right

That feel when your courses use textbooks published for that semester.

Online textbook? Nope.
Online solutions? Nope.

Useful prof? Nope.
If you believe in intellectual property then yes. I posted how to make wine on here too at some point, i should be locked away for promoting filthy communism with my sharing.

Quote by Dirge Humani
Because only one copy of whatever book you borrow exists at a time.

My university has an online library where you can look to see if books are in stock and how many are in stock and what not, along with this they have E book downloads for most books.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Oct 24, 2011,
Quote by dann_blood
Do they? Anyone can go to a library, sign up, and then borrow plenty of things without paying for them. They could burn CD's to their computer, read lots of books covering a wide variety of topics, study the academic journals on offer, look through the news archives, so on and so forth, and all of this is effectively free. The people who generated all this stuff see next to no revenue from the repeated use of their creations.

So, do you think libraries encourage the theft of intellectual property?

not true, it costs 2.30/week to borrow cds and over 5/week for dvds and other shit in the library near my college
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Oct 24, 2011,
You know libraries pay a royalty....
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
*sharing
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by zenbone
This just in... Metallica shuts down local libraries for "gay intellectual property theft"

Think about it in terms of a free sample. If people enjoy it enough, they'll buy it.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Page 1 of 2